This jail-break is simple once you've done it. I spent well over 12 hour's trying to do it. Now to help everyone, here's you a guide. It's pretty simple, just follow it exactly, read the notes and pay attention to anything in bold. Doing so and in a matter of 30-60 minute's you'll have a jail-broken PS3!
Recent Change's in the Guide:
- Hidden all steps on the guide thats aren't needed when using a pre-patched method. You may skip them if using a pre-patched method. If not, then show the spoiler and do as it ask's.
- I've added Hermes V3 Payload. You can apply this via SSH or use the 1-click installer below.
- I've added a Pre-Patched version of iPhoDroid that has PSFreedom built in. Making it a very simple install.
Windows PC - Worked for me using Windows 7 Ultimate x64
iPhone 3G or 2G - Firmware running 3.1.2 > 4.02
Jail-broken iPhone - Rooted
PS3 - Firmware 3.41
Optional: OpenSSH - Must be installed using Cydia, after jail-broken (You'll only need this should you choose not to use my Pre-Patched method's, but would rather SSH into the device and replace the files you're self.)
Note: If you're iPhone is running 4.1 it will not work. You must downgrade using Cydia SHSH. (If you have an SHSH on file)
Note: If you're PS3 is running firmware 3.42 it will not work. You cannot downgrade.
No PSFreedom Patched in, use this if you wish to manually SSH the files you're self
Download: iPhoDroid_1SHOT_R13k_3G_PC.zip iPhone 3G Only
Download: iPhoDroid_1SHOT_R13m_2G_PC.zip iPhone 2G Only
Already Patched with PSFreedom - Disc is Required
Download: iPhoDroid_1SHOT_R13k_3G_PC_PSFreedom_Patched.zip iPhone 3G Only
Download: iPhoDroid_1SHOT_R13m_2G_PC_PSFreedom_Patched.zip iPhone 2G Only
Already Patched with PSFreedom and Contain's the Hermes V3 Payload - No Disc Required
Download: iPhoDroid_R13k_3G_PSFreedom_Patched_Hermes_V3_Payl oad.zip iPhone 3G Only
Download: iPhoDroid_R13m_2G_PSFreedom_Patched_Hermes_V3_Payl oad.zip iPhone 2G Only
For Manual SSH'ing and Replacing Files
Download: PSFreedom for Apple iPhone 3G/2G with Backup Manager Support but no Hermes Payload Disc is Required
Download: PSFreedom for Apple iPhone 3G/2G with Backup Manager Support and Hermes V3 Payload No Disc Required
Other Essential Apps
Download: Filezilla 18.104.22.168 x86
Download: TinyUmbrella 4.1.4
Download: Backup Manager 1.0
More PS3 content can be found here Playstation 3 Content
If you've not got the correct firmware, use this time to downgrade you're firmware version now. You can learn how to do that at this link. (Same step's no matter the firmware version listed in the guide.)
Once you've got to you're correct firmware version required to proceed. Then you're going to jail-break the iPhone using Redsn0w, pwnage tool, or blackra1n.
Note: It must not be jail-broken using the Spirit jail-break.
If you've decided you're just to good for my pre-patched features then you're gonna need to configure Filezilla or you're choice of a SFTP program - For Manual SSH'ing Only
- Install Filezilla on pc
- Find out your iPhone's IP address, open the setting's app and hit WIFI then hit the blue arrow next to you're WIFI connection name or SSID.
- Launch Filezilla and enter you're iPhone IP address. Then username: root password: alpine hit connect, you should now be able to access your phones file system.
Step One Install iPhoDroid Onto You're iPhone 3G/2G.
- Extract you're iPhoDroid archive you've downloaded above onto your Desktop.
- Connect the iPhone to PC, close iTunes if it opens.
Note: Run iPhoDriod as an admin
- Click on iPhoDroid.exe located in the folder you extracted to you're Desktop. A window should open, click "Shoot" this will then install Android (PSFreedom) to your iPhone 3G/2G.
- Once this has done your phone will boot to a menu, push the power botton on the top right of the phone, this will scroll through the boot options, push the power botton untill you get to the bottom left hand corner where you will see "Install" now push the home button and it should install fully to your phone. Once installed you're phone should boot into Android (PSFreedom), now you need to exit Android (PSFreedom) by holding the power and home button's in until the phone kicks off.
- When you power the phone on you will be greeted with the boot menu, choose the apple logo which will put you back to normal iOS, you will find you're now stuck in recovery so go back to iPhoDroid and this time instead of hitting "Shoot" you need to hit "Exit out of Recovery". You're iPhone OS will now boot as normal from now on.
Note: If you receive a error after hitting "Exit out of Recovery" Then download TinyUmbrella above and use it to kick you're device out of Recovery mode.
For those who has chosen to manually SSH the file's you're self, you will now need to copy the file's to you're iPhone
- Unzip the PSFreedom for iPhone 3G/2G onto your Desktop. (Note: Do not extract "Android.img.gz" It is suppose to stay that way.)
- Make sure your iPhone is booted into it's normal Apple iOS.
- Launch Filezilla and connect to iPhone. Navigate to private/var
- Copy the 2 files from within you're PSFreedom extracted folder on you're desktop to private/var, it should then ask you if you want to overwrite, hit yes.
- Then right click on the file's and change the file permission's on them both to 777.
- The Jailbreak should now be on you're iPhone and ready to be loaded up via you're PS3.
Step Two Using The PSFreedom Jail-break
- Power off iPhone and launch the Android icon from the new boot menu, your iPhone will have load's of text line's appearing, wait for the "INIT" text to appear (the phone is now ready)
- Connect the iPhone to you're PS3
- Flick to power switch (on the back) of the PS3 to off then on. (FAT) If slim then plug the the power cable to the back of you're PS3. (Slim)
- Push the power button (on front of console) and straight after push the eject button.
- You will notice the text on the iPhone start's scrolling again.
- Your PS3 should now be booted jailbroken (you should now have 2 folder's within the game selection screen)
Q: I am trying to boot PSFreedom / iDroid but at the very first screen it get's stuck at the "radio: reading baseband nvram... done" line; why?
A: You may have uploaded the PSFreedom / Android images onto your iPhone with WinSCP which does not alway's work. We suggest that you instead use an ftp client (such as FileZilla). Once you have uploaded the images into the folder /private/var you must also set the image permission's to 777. If everything fails then maybe you need to redownload the PSFreedom image files and try again. If still nothing, uninstall Openiboot and boot into iOS, then redo Step Two above.
Q: I am trying to boot iDroid and after some loading it gets stuck at the "kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0)" line; why?
A: The files you have uploaded are corrupted, just reupload them as described above.
Note: Should you require more assistance, please look below at my signature.
I’m running iOS 4.0 on an iPhone 3G. I’ve tried to install iPhoDroid, but when the iPhone reboots it comes in iTunes Recovery. I can’t choose to boot android or iOS. What is going on? Can anyone please help!?!?
When it says loading Quadro, wait...do not unhook anything or mess with anything. It should boot into recovery and then shortly after load up openiboot.
Nice tutorial Congrats!!
I have a doubt, about which method I will use, if I install iphodroid with the psfreedom patch I have to skip the third step?
Another question this will work with the 3.40 ps3 firmware? I can't find where to download the v3.41
I'm not sure that it will work on 3.40. The jailbreak does for sure work with 3.41. You're not losing anything by upgrading, I'd suggest you do that.
Hi everything went smooth, i installed the ps freedom already patched file, clicked install on the iboot window, all goes fine, install gets to the IMIT and stays forever, so i restart follwow the rest of the steps, get to the ps3 part (slim) all seems to go well, ps freedom script stops @ unregistered gadget ps freedom?
PS3 then boots but no new folders.
Tried it aprox 30 times.
The fact that you've managed to even see that screen means the iphone is done correctly. The only thing I can think of is the PS3 firmware or perhaps you're trying from a iPod?
Heres some helpful information:
- Once you're ready, turn the switch off in the back of your Playstation 3 or unplug the power cord.
- Make sure there are no other USB devices plugged into the PS3 (USB Stick, Sixaxis Controller, etc.).
- Then plug in your device and plug in the power cord of the PS3 or flip the switch back on.
- Once you have that done, quickly press the power then immediately after press the eject button (as fast as you can).
- You will know it work when it takes a slightly longer time (about 5 seconds more) to turn on.
- The PS3 should boot up and you will see two new options in the games portion of the XMB (cross media bar).
- That's it, you've rooted your PS3, and you are ready to install Homebrew applications!
Man I have a issue, I downloaded the patched version, I open it and hit shoot, everything goes well but when the iphone reboot's in the screen shows "loading quadra" (PC), and in the iPhone shows "recovery mode" and iPhodroid closes, and then i have to use TinyUmbrella to close the recovery mode, and when it does there is no boot menu, I rebooted a lots of time the same no iphodroid menu, what I am doing wrong?
Hi thank you very much for the tutorial!! i running 3.41 with iphone 3G ISO 4.0.1. I followed every steps you wrote but still can't boot up and you no see two new folder. i had a erorr message on android: "/bin.shi"can't access tty:job control turned off" what is wrong?? please help!!
I'm having a problem with the jailbreak, i do it correctly and i install Backup Manager.
But when i restart the console, when trying to enter in backup manager, it gives me an error message, error code 8002951.
What do i do?
Will this process wipe all my current data from my iPhone?
I mean installing the other OS....
when i try to use filezilla i put in my ip address it comes up but that it i dont see my iphone or the files in the root of my iphone is there something else i should be doing
Is there a guide to remove this? How do we uninstall openiboot, or idroid?
yes at the bottom of your openiboot screen on the leftside it should say install and on the rightside at the bottom it should say uninstall
hey thx for answering my question i have just one more when iam tring to jailbreak my ps3 on my iphone i dont get the "NITI" or what ever those letters are i dont get that one my phone is something missing
i've been watching people jailbreak there ps3 yes i have the openiboot menu. yes my phone gets to the penguin. but there's apart on other peoples iphone where while the text's are scrolling it get's to a part where there's only a small text on the far left side of there iphone screen. i think it even stops scrolling, anyway some people are saying that's when you boot up your ps3 well mine scrolls but i dont see that far left text just other text's. have you heard of a lot of people having problems at this point see i thought once openiboot is on your iphone jailbreaking your ps3 is in the bag. my ps3 for what ever reason just will not jailbreak the firmware is 3.41 on my iphone it's 3.1.2
Hi, i tried to run the backup manager but has problem that no games seem to be work. i can back up the games with no problems but when i tried to run the back up games, it stop and frozen in on screen???
Iam still working on this jailbreak. But i just wanted you to know You've got the BEST thread out here. All the files are here you even took the time to patch iphodroid with Psfreedom. Keep up the Awsome work dude. Some of these threads are just so hard to understand. People need to realize everyone's not a computer geek, and if your gonna start a thread you have to really take the time and walk people through the steps. Thanks again
Iam there it's working fine. I was having some issues with my iphone. All is good things are rolling. Thanks again for the help from this site.
First of all thank you for the very detailed tutorial. I appreciate it very much and i'm sure all the others that are here and the ones that read your tutorial do
I've been going through the stages and this is what i've done so far:
1) restore to 3.1.2
2) jailbreak using redsn0w
3) install OpenSSH
4) install Filezilla (for some reason i'm not able to connect to my iphone but Iphone Browser 1.9.3 works fine here)
5) used iphodroid and got into the openiboot
But now click on the install button, it starts to load loads of lines and then it goes to the screen with the pinguin, but there i see loads of lines saying "........ ep0: failed to become enabled ............."
First I tried it, it just wouldn't stop and went on forever. Second time it did the same but now it stopped and it says on the bottom line "DEVICE1_WAIT_READY"
Does this mean it's installed or ...? I've been working and reading on this for hours and hours but this is as far as I can get. Any help is appreciated!
*EDIT: I didn't touch the phone when it was on "DEVICE1_WAIT_READY", but now it added 9 more lines, but extremely slow ! How do I know if the install was succesful? And also, how long should it usually take after you get to see the pinguin?
I have a question, does this work with 3.1.3 jb with redsn0w?
Hi, first of all thanks for this excellent excellent guide.
Unfortunately I am facing a problem. When I try to run the iPhodroid executable its keeps coming back with an error message "Error on extraction procedure. Please try again." Have retried it multiple times and have even rebooted the system, even rebooted it after unplugging but it doesn't seem to work. I am on XP Pro and have a iPhone 2G on 3.1.2. Any idea why its doing this? I even downloaded the package again thinking it might have got corrupted during the download but still no joy. Please help. Thanks.
I have a PS3 slim 3.41 , an iphone Jailbroken with Blackrain (I also tried redsnow but got the same issue).
Evrything looks fine but every time I git the error unregistered gadget driver psfreedom.
I tried all way to boot and all timing without success, do you have any idea ?
I've got the same problem "unregistered gadget problem"
"unregistered gadget driver psfreedom" is normal I do believe. It shows it in my video and as you can see it still worked. Are you guys forgetting to press the power/eject quickly?
There must be something you're doing wrong.
I can't get that last part to work, when I start the ps3 the text starts to scroll again and the ps3 is going. But the screen stays black or the ps3 boot as normal and I don't have any new maps :s
What can the problem be?
nvm.. Working now :>
I could possibly be doing something wrong but I am definitely hitting the power and eject right after each other like all of the videos show.