advice video format (5.1aud) 360 extender....

Discussion in 'Console Help Center' started by coldengrey, Oct 11, 2011.

1. coldengrey

coldengrey New Member

hello-

Been trying to use my 360 as a media extender... Can you guys give me some advice on best video formats
    WITHOUT TRANSCODING! Ten Best Quality/Easiest program to use to convert (if can't find source videos in correct format)

-Would like to retain 5.1 surround sound, so I think, unless mkv is doable somehow, WMV is the highest resolution compatable with 5.1 channel audio, correct?

If I'm downloading dvd/bluray rips what video format would be the best if I know I'm going to have to convert to whatever format you guys recommend?
    Are there certain video formats that retain more video quality if being converted to whatever format vs another format that may lose a lot of detail going to whatever format???

??? Anyone ever use Xilisoft / Im too ultimate converter 6.x to convert?
    It has predefined xbox 360 (Standard and HD), but when I select the WMV, the only audio options are stereo and mon...
    Some of the other non xbox predefined formats have option to change the audi to 5.1 channel.

Tried handbrake, which most people, I've read, recommend for 360 conversion, but cannot figure it out to save my life!
    Also think its output options are rather limited, especially if trying to output to wmv (which again, I think, has the highest resolution and video bitrate that's compatible w 5.1 audio)

Thanks for any info, I've been goggling and searching for weeks, no kidding!