Amazon: £21.99 - Xbox 360 HD-DVD Player (Brand New Sealed)

Discussion in 'Gaming Hangout' started by Rockman, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

[​IMG]

On Amazon.co.uk it's being sold Xbox 360's HD-DVD Player in brand new sealed condition for £21.99 which includes everything as originally (shown in the picture above + plus disc and booklet).

If I may say so, despite the HD-DVD being discontinued it still has a lot of use for today whether you want to use it on Xbox 360 or PC, so to speak, on 360 you can insert a DVD/HD-DVD on this and keep the game on the main driver of the 360.

The old Xbox 360 Media Remote regardless of being a bit too big, it's an excellent remote for Xbox 360 and TV (it can be used for TVs using the codes available). Oh yes, the buttons at night light up unlike the new Xbox 360 Media Remote (which has a beautiful design -- suits Xbox 360 Slim perfectly and it's a lot smaller the newer remote).

[​IMG]

Note: Xbox 360's HD-DVD Player at Amazon.co.uk may decrease or also increase. In comparison to eBay, this is by far the cheapest brand new sealed that I've seen (they have around £100 each for the same thing on eBay).

InsaneNutter and Michael_T like this.
  2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Good find, i have always been interested in getting a HD-DVD player for the Xbox 360. I did try and buy one a few years back for about the same price on Ebay, however the one i received was broken. I was then sent another once which was also broken so gave up and got a refund after that.

I do have a fair few HD-DVD's as our Media Center PC has a HD-DVD / Blu-ray combo drive in it, so will play either. HD-DVD's were dirt cheap at the time, i think the most ive ever paid for one is around £3! even that was many times cheaper than the DVD version of the movie at the time.

Also something else to note is this will work on a PC with an older version of PowerDVD (which supports HD-DVD) or ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 5, despite not listing HD-DVD support the latest version will still play them fine.

Our HD-DVD collection below (not all the movies are mine):

Attached Files:

3. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

That's a nice collection and now it's more or less a good time to purchase HD-DVDs since they're so cheap all under £3 or less. Plus, they're in HD.

I won't say all HD-DVDs, but some are at the same level of their Blu-ray's edition.

For what it's worth, at this price it's £11 for the Xbox Media Remote and £11 for the HD-DVD, can't say it's expensive or anything. A whole lot better getting this brand new than buying used from eBay or Amazon.

4. InsaneNutter

I ended up ordering one, i figured it will be nice to be able to play our HD-DVD's in another room. It will also make a great USB DVD drive for my Macbook Air if i ever need one.

Cant really go wrong at that price either way.

5. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

I did so too.

I'll be certainly using the HD-DVD Player for my Xbox 360 / PC, and with it I also ordered 300 HD/DVD Combo.

As for the Xbox Media Remote, I'll just use the newer black remote.

6. InsaneNutter

Did you purchase from 747400 on Amazon?

I received mine today and the condition of it is disgusting :|

On opening the box i found the item is used, it appears to be covered in dirty "splatters". The HD DVD player its self has many dirty marks over it almost like someone has split a drink on it. (doesn't show up that much in the attached photo) The included disc is full of dirty splatters and the plug included with it is american, so is useless.

When i used a British power cable i found it doesn't work, the Xbox 360 states "cant connect to your HD-DVD player"

Sadly not the best transaction in the world, i have contacted the seller and he will accept it back, but not until the new year as he's away for Christmas.

Never had any problems with Amazon market sells before, will make me think twice now, especially as the item was listed as new.

Attached Files:

7. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

Escalate it to Amazon. A friend did on something similar and got his money back + got to keep the item.

InsaneNutter likes this.
  8. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

That is unfortunate, mine came as new without any problems and all sealed sacks with everything.

It's a shame that yours arrived in a poor condition, I do wish that Amazon had a textbox to write whatever so the buyer would read and send possible as stated.

9. InsaneNutter

Well i got a surprise this morning, the postman turned up with a parcel which was another HD-DVD drive.

The box on this one was factory sealed, the drive had a sticker on it and all the accessories were sealed in bags and had wire ties on.

I connected that up to the 360 and it worked great, as before it has a European / American plug however i have that many random wires i've collected over the years its not really an issue.

I was not expecting that at all as he said send it back and he will get on it when he's back after Christmas. So credit where credit was due the issue could not have been sorted out any quicker or to a higher standard.

Attached Files:

10. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

That's fantastic it's all been dealt with pretty quickly.

By the way, as I'm using the new black Xbox Media Remote I'm not sure what to use the old Xbox Media Remote for, but it's definitely great too. A bit too big, though.

11. InsaneNutter

I have 3x of the old media remotes now (dont ask lol, didnt cost me anything) and a limited edition smaller version of it that came with my launch 360! The remotes work good with Windows Media Center on the Xbox 360, however do not work with the Microsoft IR receiver on Windows. Unless you have another 360 i dont think you will find much use for it.

Now the question is what HD-DVD's do you have?

12. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

At the moment I have Unforgiven (with Clint Eastwood) and ordered 300 US HD-DVD (Combo DVD & HD-DVD).

Despite not having seen too many Eastwood films, Unforgiven is my all time favourite of his that I'd re-watch any day.

[​IMG]

P.S.: The red HD-DVD cases are pretty cool looking.

13. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

Received 300 HD-DVD US Import but it won't play it says "Unplayable Disc" oh well, sending it back.

Region doesn't matter because HD-DVDs are all region free, unlike Blu-ray.

14. InsaneNutter

Indeed that was one of the reasons i wanted HD-DVD to win over Blu-ray, putting an end to silly region protections would have been a great thing.

Amazon still have some good HD-DVD's for £1ish if your looking for a few more.

15. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

Turns out the HD-DVD started working after all, I started watching it yesterday but fell asleep, I was just tired it's not that the film was bad, it's actually epically amazing.

P.S.: The old Xbox 360 Media Remote is by far superior and allows a lot more than the new one does, but for the new remote's defence, it has a really nice stylish black design.

At night using the white remote is definitely the best one to go for since the buttons light up whereas the new remote don't and are hard to see without any light on.

16. MasterChief

MasterChief Addict

The old media remotes are awesome! i love how they light up!

Same with the old Microsoft Media Remotes for Windows Media Center, Microsoft make some good hardware. Im quite fond of some keyboards, mice and remotes they have done over the years!

17. Trebor

Trebor Dolphin Fan

MS optical IntelliMouse 5 button, had it 5 years now and no problems ;) I also know InsaneNutter has a 10 year old MS optical mouse too :) Also got a Xbox Media remote that lights up and still works perfectly when watching catchup.

18. InsaneNutter

Yup its a damn good mouse that! i have a one from 2003 and one from 2005, both work as good as new!

The colour of them has faded a bit over the years, however apart from that nothing is up with them. I have a newer revision of the mouse that's silver at work, cant fault them at all!

I know Microsoft has a bad rep for hardware with the 360, however in general i find stuff by them to be of really high quality.

19. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

Just within a few months of use (since February 2012) the batteries of the Xbox 360 Media Remote Original have started to fade away, I guess the green lightining is what consumes it and therefore the reason why the newer Xbox 360 Media Remote has absolutely no light whatsoever. It's a bit disappointing but I should've expected.

Unless, you count that one that appears when configuring the remote to work with the TV, other than this, there's none.

20. InsaneNutter

It could have something to do with the age of the batteries too, i'm presuming this is not the remote you just got with the HD-DVD player?
    Batteries do loose charge over time, even when not been used so I guess its to be expected.

I have the very old Windows Media Centre remote for Windows, that also lights up when you press the buttons. At a guess I would say the non rechargeable Energiser batteries it came with lasted around 2 years for me, with daily use. Rechargeable ones appear to discharge a lot quicker, however as you can recharge them its not a problem charging them once a year.