Dreamcast emulation on the Pandora

Discussion in 'Gaming Hangout' started by Titcher, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Titcher

Titcher Addict

So, I'm sure you're all excited about the soon-to-be-release pandora. Here's a video of something that might become playable in the future, the dreamcast:
    [video=youtube;0gYfwtj7Mok]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gYfwtj7Mok&feature=youtube_gdata[/video]

Slaz likes this.
  2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Looking very nice, once the Pandora is released I would be interested in getting one. It looks like things are really starting to progress with it.

Any word on when it might be released?

3. Titcher

Titcher Addict

The people making it are pretty hesitant about giving dates as they've missed so many so far. There's a chance it'll be here by this December, but more realistically based on current development times, expect around February. They're still perfecting the case moulds(steel moulds for the plastic injected cases) and they still need to get CE/FCC testing done, the individual parts have been tested for it before, but they need to test the final device for it, once the first true pandora is made they can get done. Then they can finally ship them.

I'm glad you've shown interest, not too many people are into homebrew scene and trying out beta software people have made, but the progression of the software is all part of the fun. Oh and a little snippet of extra info, preliminary info suggests that the pandora could use SDXC cards in the future, without the extra speed benefit.

4. InsaneNutter

I was gonna say I’m sure this was supposed to be out like a year ago, no need to rush it though I would sooner they did a good job.

What’s there not to love about homebrew, it lead to some amazing creations on the Xbox 1, that’s what got me in to the homebrew. Ever since then all my consoles have got hacked, should be quite interesting to see what happens on a console built from the ground up with homebrew in mind.

Even without homebrew it’s still a handheld pc that can run a lot of linux applications which I must admit for a device the size of the Pandora sounds really interesting.

The Nokia N900 also looks interesting to me, reminds me of the Pandora in some ways.

5. Titcher

Titcher Addict

More relevant to the other pandora thread, but this one is more recent. See one of the first mass production pandoras:

There's still minor fixes on the case moulds to be done, then board population and assembly, with the usual testing. And then they can finally be shipped. I'd still estimate around February the first batch will ship.

6. InsaneNutter

As it happens I was watching this video on YouTube about the Pandora last night

[video=youtube;AMZsJIyv4ys]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMZsJIyv4ys[/video]

Ill be keeping an eye on what happens, it certainly has a lot of potential.

7. Titcher

Titcher Addict

Here's another sexy video:
    [video=youtube;dD6gytB1iw8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD6gytB1iw8[/video]

8. KillerWhiteMan

KillerWhiteMan Burnout Racer

Hopefully this is not a flop; it has a lot of potential to be a great piece of equipment. For some reason when I look at this, I am reminded of the N-Gage. Hopefully this is more successful.

9. MasterChief

MasterChief Addict

I carnt help thinking its a year or two late, I would have jumped at the chance to buy one a year or two ago... im not too sure now, so many mobile devices with apps / emulators and the ability to play all sorts of media exist today.

10. Titcher

Titcher Addict

That's true, lots of thing can run programs, but they can run programs with decent games controls and without a massive contract fee? Generally, the answer is no.

11. Slaz

Slaz Roast as you make toast!

Is NullDC still in developement as an emulator? When I checked the latest version to play Sonic Adventure 2 last year, most aspects were fine though it was far more unstable compared to GameCube/Wii emulator Dolphin.

12. Titcher

Titcher Addict

For the PC platform I don't think it is, but the people behind the pandora port are rewriting quite a few bits of the emulator, so time will tell how compatible/speedy/bug-free they'll manage to make it.