Easy way to get online?

Discussion in 'Gaming Hangout' started by paardje, Jul 25, 2009.

1. paardje

paardje Addict

Help, I want to get online to XBOX live but I got stuck. I have a ethernet cable pricked in my ethernet card, and I have a seperate wireless card for wireless internet. The router/modem is in the room with the neighbours. Now, I want to join XBOX live but my 360 can't find any connection!

What can be the prob here??????

2. Titcher

Titcher Addict

You need to use a crossover ethernet cable if you're going from xbox to PC. If that's true, you also need to enable Internet Connection Sharing.

3. paardje

paardje Addict

Strangely enough, I can't find connection sharing on my xp pc! :-@ I have wireless internet, and seperate wireless card in my pc.

4. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Find the network connection which is your internet one, right click it and go to properties.

They should be a sharing tab, enable internet connection sharing on that.
    If you still have problems tell me which version of windows your running and ill try and help you more.

5. paardje

paardje Addict

Well, I don't see no sharing tab whatsoever! There IS a sharing function on my ethernet card, but when I use it, my wireless internet goes down! (I use Windows XP Professional)

I have a Ethernet card in my pc and a wireless card in my pc.

6. InsaneNutter

What is the ip address of the pc on your network?

If its 192.168.0.xx for example you need to modify the settings on your router so the router uses a diffrent subnet e.g. 192.168.1.xx (xx would be the ip of the pc, this doesnt really matter)

Its the number highlighted in red that matters, Internet connection sharing can only use the 192.168.0.x subnet which will not work if your router also uses that, a lot of home routers do by default.

7. paardje

paardje Addict

I have 192.168.1.1!

8. InsaneNutter

So if the ip address of your pc is 192.168.1.1 whats the ip address of your router?

9. paardje

paardje Addict

87.***.180.148 WAN (Wireless Access Network) Well, it's NOT my router, it's from the neighbours, we share the signals coming from 1 router!)

10. InsaneNutter

I edited a bit of that ip out for you, if you look under network connections you should have an ip address and default gateway address on your lan.

Either way if you go to properties on your wireless connection and share it to your ethernet one you should be able to get online with the 360, you might need to re start the xbox 360 so it can get an ip address from your pc.

11. paardje

paardje Addict

On the other hand, I saw in the shop the wireless connector for the xbox for € 70,-... it's a bit of money but then I'm SURE I'll be connected! :D It just won't work the way I want it... :'(

12. InsaneNutter

You will have a better connection if you are directly connected to the router and not going through your pc, when sharing the internet from your pc you will usually have a strict connection which limits the games and people you can connect to on Xbox Live.

The wireless adaptor is a lot though, if you really want to get on live it might be worth the money.

What doesnt work when you share it? Also only one pc on the network can share the internet.

Try re starting both the pc and 360 when you have enabled internet sharing.

13. paardje

paardje Addict

[​IMG]
    Spot the difference? Can't share with wireless while I can with Ethernet! (no router connected on ethernet!)

14. xzKinGzxBuRnzx

xzKinGzxBuRnzx The Feature Man

Do you get internet through the ethernet or wireless? To my knowledge, it will only allow you to share one connection. So it looks like you have the option to in the ethernet one. Why not try disabling it and see if it then allows you to in the wireless.

My wireless on my laptop can be shared. just share my wireless connection then plug the ethernet cord into my laptop allowing me to pick up internet on the 360 via my laptop.

15. paardje

paardje Addict

Wireless only (the left one on the screenshot!)

16. InsaneNutter

I carnt understand dutch (i think it is) but yeah its defently missing, honestly never seen that before.

Maybe you can update the drivers for the wireless card?

Also i presume nither of the connections are bridged and the wireless is connected when that screenshot was taken.

Im a bit lost at what to suggest now :S

17. paardje

paardje Addict

Yes, it's dutch but I can bridge it... but what is that and will I keep my internetconnection safely? (both of them are bridgeable!)

Sorry to bump this but I tried to bridge my pc <> Xbox but even THAT won't work! (Bridging WiFi with Ethernet) I got Ethernet running for just a sec but then it disappears again. I unbridged it all again... :(

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
  18. Titcher

Titcher Addict

You don't need to bridge. Bridging is a very advanced feature, that isn't required in this circumstance. You need to enable internet connection sharing on the device that hosts your internet connection. Then on the other device, ethernet I'm assuming, you need to setup a static IP. Lets say your internet connection is getting IPs in the range of 192.168.1.1-255, you want the other adapter to speak on a different range. Set the ethernet adapter on your PC to 192.168.0.1, default subnet mask and set the default gateway to the IP of your router. On the xbox set the IP to 192.168.0.2, default subnet mask and the default gateway to 192.168.0.1.

Okay, see if you can do that, if you can, it will work. Remember though, it's a guideline, you might need to change the IPs depending on your network.

paardje likes this.
  19. paardje

paardje Addict

I rather not fddle with IPs and stuff! The neighbours are already a bit pissed about the last time! (I bricked the router last time, a thing with denying MAC... OMG!) I will have someone looking after this!

20. InsaneNutter

You didn’t brick the router, you most likely just locked yourself out from accessing the router wirelessly.

If you do that again connect to the router with an Ethernet cable and you will be good!