General Backup question

Discussion in 'Console Help Center' started by baked_dog, Jun 11, 2012.

1. baked_dog

baked_dog Member

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if someone could give me clarification on this. I'm looking at buying an Xbox 360 slim (in Australia) but would like to have the option of backing up (preferably to a hard drive).

There seems to be many different opinions on using an x-key, flashing DVD drive (JungleFlasher) or hacking a SATA drive to work with the xbox (I'm guessing JungleFlasher would not be required then?)

My question is what is considered the best option in the long run, some people have suggested that games run slower on hard drive (does not make much sense to me). Should I be looking out for a particular type of Xbox slim? Also would it be recommended against getting a second hand x-box slim?

I guess in essence I just want to know the very basic steps I have to look into to run backup games on a Hard drive (assuming this is a good option to go with)

Sorry for all the questions, but I just need a starting point so I head in the right direction.

CHeers

2. Rick

Rick Moderator

Games run faster on the hard drive. Depending on the hard drive prices add that price to the xbox 360 price to see if its worth hacking a hard drive or buying a console with a hdd.

For flashing the dvd drive of the slim console i have heard this process is more complicated. More info here, https://download.digiex.net/Consoles/Xbox360/tutorials/jftut1.4.4.rar

3. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

For running games on the hard drive you can simply install them on the dashboard, all you need to do then is have the disc in and the game will run off the hard drive.

Games load significantly quicker off the hard drive when installed.

If you mean backing up and playing without the disc you will need a RGH (Reset Glitch Hacked) console.

4. baked_dog

baked_dog Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yep, so from what I can gather, if I buy a new XBox 360 slim (model after August 2011) I can not get a RGH modification? ...is this the only way? ..seems I'm better off getting a used, older style Xbox?

I've also seen 4 different mod services advertised:
    'Xbox 360 JTAG CoolRunner Install' for $130
    'XBOX360 (SLIM) - Reset Glitch Hack (RGH)' for $140 Aus
    Mod with iXtreme Firmware for $69 (an Extra $30 and get 12 Months drive Replacement Warranty)
    X360 Key $150

... is RGH definitely the way to go and is this a reasonable price?

Cheers

5. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

Moved from Guides to Console Help Center.

6. baked_dog

baked_dog Member

Would RGH mod work on the below and further be able to play Aus games ok?

--------------------------------------------------------

xbox info:

Xbox 360 250 GB slim module for sale. Hardly used. Great condition.

Format is Region 4. Will not Play Australian Games. Great for spare parts!

Requires an Australian adapter if wanting to be plugged in.

MFR date on this is: 5/3/2011.

7. InsaneNutter

Depends what dashboard its been updated to, if its on the latest i believe you need to do the RGH2.0 hack which is less stable at the moment.

Looks like you will need to buy a power pack for use in Aus with that, but if the consoles in working order it should be hackable.

8. baked_dog

baked_dog Member

Dashboard number is 2.0.13146.0

Sorry to keep asking questions, but what would be a good price to negotiate to for the RGH mod? is $145 (Au) a fair deal?

9. InsaneNutter

The console sounds fine to RGH hack, the hack was not even public when the 13146 update was released.

$145 AUD = £92, that's very expensive (here anyway), i've seen people do it for £30-40. Half that i would say its a reasonable amount.

Supply and demand though if no one else is doing it then people can charge what ever they want.

10. baked_dog

baked_dog Member

Yea, I'm not sure where else to look for the services, I've now found someone that will do it for $100.00 but I'm tempted to just buy an older box (post RROD problems) that has been pre-flashed as these are going for much cheaper than the slims (and I already have to take the risk of a 2nd hand console to mod anyway) . I haven't bought a next-gen console yet, I was under the illusion that if I waited 7 or so years there would be a fix, as simple and to the tune of McBoot for PS2, seems they have not made it a walk in the park.

Thanks for all your help nutter.

Cheers