Got two computers from trash

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by tjd2, Nov 3, 2018.

1. tjd2

tjd2 I like Perfect Dark and Xbox 360 betas.

Yesterday we had e-waste pickup day in our town. People put e-waste in front of their homes and someone picked it up. I decided to look what i can find and i found:
    1. Old Fujitsu-Siemens computer with Athlon XP 2600+. I will probably find some good AGP card and use it as pc for retro games
    2. HP compaq dc7600 without hard drive. Not sure what i will do with it.
    3. Old Socket 7 computer with smashed motherboard. At least i salvaged CPU from it (AMD k6-2)
    4. Nokia 5110 in bad condition. It will go into my phone collection
    5. 21 inch monitor. I will probably sell it.
    If you want images of that stuff, i can post them.

Deoxyz and Gunz4Hire like this.
  2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

The Athlon XP 2600+ now that's going back a bit.

I had an Athlon XP 2500+, overclocked to 3200+ speeds (2.2ghz) back in the day, I had that paired with a GeForce 6800 AGP graphics card, that ran Windows XP and I gamed in 1024x768.

You could certainly play up to Doom 3 in high detail with that processor paired with a 6800, or one of the last AGP graphics cards. I think you could probably find better than a 6800 as I remember some later cards had AGP releases, however by that time all new motherboards were PCI express anyway, so you were paying more for older tech if you went with AGP.

3. Deoxyz

Deoxyz Resident

Nokia 5110, I still have two of those (NA variant, I forget the model number) in great condition, box and all, that my parents used in the early 2000s. Once they upgraded phones around 2004, I saved them from the trash. I still love messing with them sometimes mainly to play Snake. The old preset ringtones are timeless.