Home Building My Own PC!

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by Deleted member 14461, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Well Im Going To Be Building My Homw PC Well Basicly Im Just Changing Parts With Hi Proformance Parts And keping The Case

With The OS Should I Get Linux Or An OLD Version Of MAC OS??
    And What Apps Should I Put On It

2. Rick

Rick Moderator

3. Would It Be Suitable On A Netbook (This Is My One)
    Or To Slow??

Thanks + I Have A Copy Of Linux

4. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

We'd need to know the specs to be sure but I woulds say more then likely you'll be fine putting Windows 7 on a Netbook.

5. Rick

Rick Moderator

Ubuntu for netbooks here Netbook | Ubuntu this should be the fastest and because you don't need a anti-virus.The downside is that you have to mess with wine to get windows programs working.Many programs are ported to linux ubuntu and the .deb file is what you need to install most programs.

Windows 7 starter might work good or Windows XP would work better.

6. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

So you a building a PC? or wanting to install a new OS on your netbook? or even both?

And how come an old version of OSX?

7. BigRod989

BigRod989 Addict

Not sure if this fulls under the right area but im working on building a PC right now but having some issues :/ the specs real fast (all used/recycled parts) 5 days a week i just test and recycle parts all day
    Motherboard: Hp P5LP-LE (lithium) bios 3.19
    Cpu: Pentium D 840 3.2ghz/1mbcashe/800Fsb x2 socket 775 (dual core) (with 64bit)
    Memory: 2x2gb ddr2 800 (running at 667 because the board max speed)
    Video: Geforce 210 512mb ddr2 pcie 2.0 (with full 1080p HDMI)
    HDD: 250gb WD sata
    Power: 430 watt
    Screen: 46 inch Samsung DLP HDTV (how can you NOT get a head shot when they are the size of a melon ;) )

the problem im haveing is windows 7 64 sits at 0% Expanding Windows files, and then after about a hour it fail's, I have loaded Ubuntu 10.10 64 with no problem (unless i load the video driver then screen glitch's bad after restart issue with the nvidia drivers) (Ubuntu takes 15 second to load to the desktop with this system :D ) any idea's i downloaded a custom bios for the board its 3.17 with slic 2.1 for windows 7 64 but kinda worried about loading a custom one also working makeing a custom one for 3.19 but dont know much about doing that (so its a little slow todo) so please if anyone has any ideas please let me know, Thank you. I also have 3 other cpus i have tried in the board and a different set of ddr2 ram
    The exact windows 7 problem when it fails "Windows cannot install required files. The files may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070017
    I have made 3 disc and all them do the same thing but i loaded the OS on my friends system with out one problem at all
    Spare parts
    P4 3.0/1/800 (32 bit only) works
    Celeron D 2.8/512/533 (64 bit) works
    Core 2 duo 1.86/4/1066 (64bit 1066 FSB dual core But NOT supported by motherboard) cpu works tested at work lol
    4x1gb ddr2 533 works

8. InsaneNutter

Its likely the DVD drive you are using to install Windows from is failing, I have had that problem more than once when fixing friends PC's.

Presuming the motherboard you have can boot from USB you could just make a bootable USB stick and install Windows 7 from that, we have a guide I did for that ages ago, see: How to install Windows 7 or Windows Vista from a usb stick or memory card.

I'm sure there is an easier way to do that by now, however that has always worked perfectly for me.

BigRod989 likes this.
  9. Rick

Rick Moderator

BigRod989 likes this.
  10. BigRod989

BigRod989 Addict

cool ill try that I was thinking it might be the DVD drive (its from like 99-00 so it is old), its just odd though it will install windows xp, vista, ubuntu 10.10 (64) with no problem just hangs with windows 7

Update: So it works perfect loading from the USB drive (means my hella old dvd drive is dieing) thank you very much :D I took a old IDE 80gb WD HDD and split it in to 2 drives a 4gb for windows 7 64 bit, and the other 70.6gb as extra storage.

And so you know if you are useing windows 7 you dont have to do the partition in CMD you can type in the start search "Computer Management" and then go to the drives and format/partition/ and set as active from there :)

Second update: Windows 7 64bit is working great now I think that my board has a limit of 4gig because I have 4gig of ram installed and it shows 3.25 useable my video card has 512 meg and I think in my Bios it is pulling 256mb (i just have to change a setting in there) I was hopeing that with the 64bit OS it would stop that but what can you do, I know my CPU is 64bit its a Pentium D 840 3.2/1/800x2 (intel's first dual core) http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27514 So i figured the board had to beable to do 64bit to support the CPU or am i just thinking wrong?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  11. Thanks Everyone For Replying

12. BigRod989

BigRod989 Addict

Building new PC

Hi everyone I'm Building a New PC again lol this is the Motherboard I just bought today ASRock Model P43DE
    ASRock > Products > P43DE
    From
    Newegg.com - ASRock P43DE LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard
    I'm putting a Intel Core2Duo 2.66/4/1333 (Model E6750)
    8gb's (4x2) Kingston DDR2 800 (Pc2 6400)
    Pny Geforce 210 512 DDR2 Pcie 2.0
    Western Digital 250gb Sata HDD
    DVD DL Burner (IDE)
    2x Sceptre 22" inch Monitors (Model X22WG-Gamer) 1 HDMI 1080p other DVI 1680x1050
    Maybe a better video card? any thoughts? :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  13. InsaneNutter

I could be sure i replied to this the other day, do you already have the processor? If not you can get a 2.93ghz or even 3.2ghz Core2Duo for not much more than a 2.6ghz these days, although you can probably overclock the processor you have in mind pretty well if you ever needed more power.

What will the PC be used for? the Geforce 210 is nothing special but if you are not going to be doing much gaming then it should be perfect for the job.

14. BigRod989

BigRod989 Addict

I already have the processor I picked it up at work for nothing (I'm pretty poor lol and this whole system ive built for under $150 started with no parts at all), I play a few games on thee PC Guild Wars (in windowed mode so can still use the net that monitor is using DVI), CSS, half life 2, right now I'm hooked to the 22 inch monitor with HDMI in 1080p with everything set to high im getting 53.6fps in the CSS stress test ( I was suprized for the 210 in a PCIe 1.0 slot) in windows 7 x64 im getting 5.4 gaming graphics. My system right now is a Pentium D 945 3.4/4mb(2x2)/800 with a HP MB,4 gigs DDR2 800, the Geforece 210. The case, video, HDD, ram (plus adding another 4 gigs), power supply im reusing just pretty much everything just changing the MB and CPU, I bought a better heat sink I figured I could get the 2.66 C2D to around 3-3.4 stable in OC I figure the ram should be about 1066 (my best guess). The MB, CPU, and 4gigs of DDR2 533 (4x1) and a cheap ATI 128mb video card, I have sold already to a friend for $85 he's is also interested in 1 of the 22 inch gaming monitors I have, so what would a good video card be that is not going to kill me on price I have looked at some Geforce 460's
    Would this video card be worth the money? FRYS.com*|*EVGA
    I'm really thinking this card will be better then the EVGA http://www.frys.com/product/6509333?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

UpDate:
    I got my new Motherboard today and already booted and loaded the system :) I'll take a screen and add to a different section for windows scores
    Processor: 6.2
    Memory: 6.2
    Graphics: 4.6 (windows aero)
    Gameing graghics: 5.4
    Primary hard drisk: 5.8

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011