Hows Virgin Broadband for those who live in the UK

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Commando, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Commando

Commando Member

So basically Ive had enough with TalkTalk :-@ and want to swtich over to another provider.

I'm looking at Virgin Broadband / media and their 10mb fibre obtic internet package. Anyway, I want to know people's (who use this service) general opinion and experince with using it such as:

• Hows the connection rate/speed with the fibre optic line, do you get the speed advertised?
    • Hows the techical support, is it quick to get a soloution to a problem.
    • Anything else
    Thanks

Commando

2. Flamzorz

Flamzorz Addict

Pretty Fast. Good Video Streaming and xbox live plays a treat =)

3. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

With Virgin you will be guaranteed the speeds advertised, they don't use the phone line to deliver the internet to you if you live in a cabled area, which im guessing you do. If your paying for 10mbit you should get 10mbit.

We have been with Virgin (or NTL as they were once known) for over 10 years now, the speed has always been as advertised.

Technical support is rubbish, 9 times out 10 you will not be able to understand the person on the other end of the phone and they will not be able to understand you... however the only time we have had to ring them is when our modem broke so you could quite happily go years without needing to call them.

The only thing you need to look out is there traffic management policy, if you download over a certain amount in peak hours your connection speed will be slowed down for a couble of hours, read more about that here.

Anything else? humm probably the best ISP for people who dont live anywhere near a phone exchange.

20mbit with Virgin or 3mbit with any other internet provider... no contest really ;) Signup and enjoy!

4. Titcher

Titcher Addict

Yep I can only concur. I've been with Blueyonder, then they became Telewest, then they became Virgin Media. And they've still stayed great. However, the throttle policy is kind of annoying, but overall, fine. It goes something like this, if you download over 2GB or something like that during peak time, your speed will be reduced for a few hours, this may sound extreme, but in my case, I get reduced to 5 megabits, which is still perfectly speedy.