IGN.com Reviews

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by KillerWhiteMan, Jun 10, 2009.

1. KillerWhiteMan

KillerWhiteMan Burnout Racer

So I read the review for Prototype last night on IGN.com and I must say it's the last straw. They gave the game a 7/10. Does anyone else think that the people at IGN are really hard to please. I mean I have seen them rip apart games that have been given rave reviews by other organizations. I mean what the hell is up with that? Sometimes they are right with their reviews, but more often than not, they are just too hard to please.

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

I must admit I don’t read a lot of reviews for games, I usually just watch the trailers and game play videos then make my own mind up, or ask people about the game if I’m unsure ill read a couple of reviews and find out more.

I did read the Ign review for Fuel the other day and was quite surprised at how bad they said the game was. After playing the game I totally agree with it though, although the game looks good its extremely boring to play after a couple of hours.

Then again as your saying some review can be really harsh, I think it depends on the person reviewing the game... IGN appear to be hit and miss these days.

3. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

I've said it before and i'll say it again most reviews suck. (I've said this before and i'll say it also) Monster Hunter Freedom and MHF 2 got low scores for their so called ratings. That is one of the best games I have ever played. It was absolutely amazing. Over 1400 pieces of armor and over 800 weapons to choose from. You get into insane boss battles that can last 40 minutes. You can kill creatures and carve them to use their fangs and hides to make weapons and armor. But that wasn't good enough for them. I would really like to see what type of game they could make. Instead of bitching about the games that they don't like. I understand that they are supposed to be pretty stiff on the reviews but there is no perfect game.

4. Stealth Geek

Stealth Geek Your Dad

Have you played the game?

I think reading gamer reviews on forums like gamefaqs are more reliable anyway. Those people aren't getting paid and will be more honest with their opinions on a game, unlike a reviewer who gets paid to do so.

5. Assassin

Assassin Addict

Reviews are very subjective anyway. If you want to know if a game is good, the best way to find out is playing it.

6. KillerWhiteMan

KillerWhiteMan Burnout Racer

I agree with all of you guys, and yes I have played Prototype. I just got it yesterday. I would rather read reviews from gamers like Stealth Geek said because the thing with places like IGN and OXM or anyone else is that they play through the game in only a few hours and make their judgment just on that. Between IGN and X-Play, I'm starting to hate reviews. I usually just use them to get an idea for a game.