media center help

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by adrianh85, May 29, 2009.

1. adrianh85

adrianh85 Member

i have been trying to get this to work for like forever and no luck for some reason i can not get my 360 to connect to my laptop`s media center client.
    my laptop is running a 32bit vista home premium. i have tryed to connect wired and wireless and no luck . for some reason my xbox gets stuck when the window media center screen comes up saying tring to contact computer the screen is all black with 5-7 white circles running past( like windows start up screen on a fresh boot). while that is happening the computers media client tells me is cannot contact the extender, yet every time i power my 360 it tells me a new extender has been found.

the funny part of this is that i can go to my xbox>my video or music or pictures and see every thing on my laptop yet i cant access media center! thank u in advance if u can help me

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Do you have a firewall of any kind on the computer running windows media centre?
    If the Xbox has ever been connected to another computer or you have re installed windows you need to associate the xbox and pc again.

On the Xbox go to system settings > computers > windows media center and click disconnect, you should then be able to re associate your xbox with the computer.
    Do this by clicking setup, make a note of the key continue.

Now on the pc add the extender and you should be asked to enter the key from the xbox, do that and let me know how far you can get.

3. adrianh85

adrianh85 Member

thanks on the reply

i have a router from verizon its the basic one they give u with fios internet i have turned all firewall funtions off(windows and router) and disconnected the xbox from this computer. i will try agian when i get home

4. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

I would enable the routers firewall again, that shouldn’t be blocking any traffic behind the router, only people trying to connect to you from the internet.

Let me know how you get on.

5. adrianh85

adrianh85 Member

i still get stuck on the searching for media extender screen on my computer and the xbox goes to the black screen and says contacting and to get out i got to go back to the dashboard. then my computer search times out and says "error encountered while coonfigureing ur computer for uses with this extender!"

6. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

Do you use Windows Firewall?

7. adrianh85

adrianh85 Member

no i turned all firewall software off!!

8. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

Sorry about that, I wasn't thinking. On your 360 go to System Settings>Network Settings> Test Windows Media Center.

Through this it may tell you the problem. At first I thought it could possibly be because of the internet speed but fios is around 30-50Mb/s if i'm not mistaken and that is more then enough by far.

9. adrianh85

adrianh85 Member

the speed of u internet shouldnt have any affect on the workings of this because my computer should connect to the media center via local network connections

10. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

I did it again:P. What I meant to put was the signal strength of the router to the 360 but since you tested it as a wired connection it should have worked.

11. adrianh85

adrianh85 Member

let me explain my setup more!!

i have the default verizon fios cable modem / wireless router. my 360 is connected hard wired to the router. my laptop is wireless but during this problem i have tested this wired and wireless with no succes. i was reading on so other web page that people were having this same problem but there problem was with there biometeric reader(fingerprint reader) driver. after they uninstalled it or disabled it , media center worked fine. but i dont see any of those drivers on services running on my laptop and i dont have a physical fingerprint reader! but this p.o.s is still not working!:'(

12. adrianh85

adrianh85 Member

looks like no one has any answers that can fix this problem

13. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

The only thing I can think of is to try another router. It doesn't seem anyone as faced a situation as odd as yours. You tried a wired connection but is the Ethernet cable working?

14. xzKinGzxBuRnzx

xzKinGzxBuRnzx The Feature Man

Does media center work on your pc? If so try going there and adding it as a extender. Be sure to disconnect from your current media center you may be connected to now in the Xbox 360 options.

Try messing around with your router, enable dmz to your xbox 360. make sure its not blocking certain ports.

Try turning off Windows firewall or any other antivirus/firewall software you have.

Do you have the NXE installed on your Xbox 360?

I've personally never had a problem like this, but I'll try my best to help you.