Microsoft bringing fully functional Internet Explorer to Xbox 360 kinect enabled

Discussion in 'News and Article Submission' started by seanpr92, May 11, 2012.

1. seanpr92

seanpr92 Godlike

[​IMG]

Microsoft’s Xbox 360 could soon become an even more integral part of your home theater / media / social networking system. Sources say that Microsoft is testing a version of Internet Explorer 9 designed to run on Redmond’s gaming console with Kinect voice and gesture support.
    The 360 already has a voice search function using Bing but as The Verge points out, results are limited to media only. Internet Explorer will open up the full web browsing experience on the console in an unrestricted environment. The Verge has a solid track record with regards to Xbox predictions. Most recently, the publication correctly revealed Microsoft’s plans to subsidize the 360 a week before it happened.
    Users with a Kinect motion sensing device will be able to utilize it with IE for voice and gesture control. Kinect isn’t mandatory but sources claim that the browser will be tuned to work best with it. Since entering text can be a real chore with a controller, it makes sense to either use a Kinect or the 360 Chatpad accessory, a tiny keyboard that mounts to the bottom of a controller.
    No word yet on when Microsoft will officially introduce this feature but as we know, E3 is looming in the not-so-distant future so we could very well see an announcement either leading up to the event or during the conference. The annual video game conference takes place at the Los Angeles Convention Center June 5-7.

cardo69 and Rockman like this.
  2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Ive personally never wanted to browse on the 360, however i know a lot of people do so would be a welcomed feature im sure.

Now if you can use the browser in game like on steam that could be useful for looking on GameFAQ's if your stuck on a game for example.

3. thekorngear

thekorngear Resident

me neither. My experience with PS 3 was something not to jump around :P

4. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

It's about time I'm fucking pissed with that PS3 browser being more outdated than IE6.

5. Neoteam1

Neoteam1 Addict

Please not IE10 for god sake. Its a useless app like it is on the phone and Windows 8

6. seanpr92

seanpr92 Godlike

will most likely be a modifyed version of ie9 i doubt they would use a beta product it will most likely be stripped down to use just forwards backwards home and bookmarks and obv kinect commands wether it has flash is another story

7. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

I wonder when Microsoft will release Internet Explorer For Xbox, it's definitely gonna be a pretty cool feature.

So awesome Xbox is getting a tonload of new applications every month or so.

8. Neoteam1

Neoteam1 Addict

Im wondering if this new update has something to do with this. They must be coding in the server to the new dash so we can use it as a app.

9. InsaneNutter

IE 10 will not be in beta by the time this is released, it will come with the fall update i would expect.

It looked pretty cool been controlled with the smart glass at E3, i honestly would not use it but i do see people enjoying having a proper web browser on the 360.

10. Trebor

Trebor Dolphin Fan

Could be useful when your PC/laptop etc breaks. I can remember browsing the web on my original Xbox with XBMC. It was crap but the only way I could get on the net at the time.

11. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

Even as a Mac user who will never be able to use IE10, I can say you can't really compare it to the IE6 days, IE9 and the soon to be released IE10 are actually good browsers. On the Phone its also perfectly fine and does render HTML5 perfectly so not sure what your issue is.

Dark Scyth likes this.
  12. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

You haven't experience the awfulness of PS3's outdated browser, it's effin horrible. Easily comparable or even worse than IE6.

13. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

I have and thats why I don't choose to use my PS3 for Web Browsing lol.

14. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

Heh, lol, Nimrod.

A legal PS3's pretty much only for good for being a Blu-ray Player and some video gaming, because besides these two points, there's not much to do with it (yes, there's a few TV apps to use) but in comparison to Xbox 360's App Dashboard, this is nothing.

I'd bet and say Sony doesn't give 2 shits about PS3 because if they did they'd had released a ton of new features and apps for PS3 but it never happened, so I guess I'm right. Don't blame me for criticizing PS3, blame Sony!

15. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

Just noticed tonight that Microsoft has added publicity videos, info and a free avatar item (Tablet) for your avatar.

Can't wait for "Internet Explorer For Xbox" hopefully it will be usable for all Xbox 360 owners, i.e, Silver (free) and Gold members.

16. InsaneNutter

Any info on how to get that?

17. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

Watch the Internet Explorer For Xbox trailer and afterwards the "[Download]" button will be available.

I thought the download button was for Internet Explorer browser but an avatar item. :P

18. InsaneNutter

Ah yes its on the dashboard (thought it was online somewhere)

I found it under the videos tab, cheers.