My parents got their first ever console, a Wii!

Discussion in 'Gaming Hangout' started by InsaneNutter, Oct 24, 2010.

1. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Well i never thought I would see the day my parents purchased a console for themselves!

My Mum's friend is emigrating to Canada (i'm sure that will please AntiNaz) so she sold her a Wii, 2 controllers + nunchuks, Wii Fit + the balance board and some other random accessories.

Credit where credit is due to Nintendo for making a console appealing to people who normally wouldn't consider getting one, maybe she will move on to more hardcore games such as Modern Warfare some day ;)

Of course the Wii will be hacked, however it is on the latest 4.3e system menu so I will have to try and source a copy of Lego Indiana Jones The Original Adventures and use the Indiana Pwns exploit.

2. delhanh

delhanh PS3 Contributor

who ever said that the older generations werent gamers. my dad recent, while cleaning out the garage found my Sega Mega Drive II, hooked it up to the tv and started playing Super Thunder Blade. He got to the last level overnight, and over the last 10 years, i couldnt get past the second level. it shows how much of a gamer he really is at heart.

3. MasterChief

MasterChief Addict

My parents own a Wii too, I guess they will have Wii Sports and Wii Fit from what you say.
    Some other games they might want to check out are:

• Wii Play
    • Wii Sports Resort
    • Tetris Party Deluxe
    • Big Brain Academy
    • Hasbro's Family Game Night
    The Wii is easy to mod, I think you should be able to pick up a copy of Indiana Jones pretty cheap, its around $20 here.

4. InsaneNutter

Oh i do agree, if my mum could play Zuma / Luxar & Tertis on the 360 as good as she could on the PC with a mouse she would be very near the top on the Live leader boards.

Cheers for the suggestions Cheif, as for Indiana Jones been pretty cheap its around £40 ($60) here!!

Ive managed to get a 2 month free trial with Love Film again so the plan is to rent it as its not going to cost a penny then :)

5. Jourdan Cameron

Jourdan Cameron Resident

My mom really loves Digger but will only play on extremely rare occasions. When I got the Dreamcast version, I had difficulty getting my controller back! She was a Digger addict back when the game came out.
    My father, on the other hand, thought that Atari 2600 emulation on my Palm was pretty awesome.

6. Flamzorz

Flamzorz Addict

I play Modern Warfare 2 all the time with my dad.
    I whoop his ass every time but he still loves playing it win or lose and I love playing with him.
    Playing video games is something me and my dad do alot together.

Mind you I'm only 13 so my dad is probably pretty young compared to your parents,InsaneNutter.

7. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

Do you know if its on the unhackable 4.3E or 4.3E before the updated IOS's? If i'm not mistaken Nintendo released an update a bit after releasing 4.3 that updated IOS's which made using Trucha bug among other things useless. Not completely sure about it so you might want to look into it. Also that Love Film place (I think thats what its called, whatever place you just signed up for) sends games and movies, so they would likely have a copy you could use. ;)

8. InsaneNutter

I was under the impression all 4.3E Wii's were hackable? I could be wrong, from reading the three links below I got the impression Korean Wii's that are on 4.3K can not be hacked, however everything else can.

Complete Softmod Guide
    Nintendo Wii 4.3 Softmod Guide
    Modify ANY Wii 4.3 & below

Installing a Trucha'd IOS appears to be part of the hacking process, so hopefully I am ok there. I still feel i'm very new to all this so if you think I should be reading something else do say :)

LoveFilm have sent out Lego Indiana Jones today, so I should have everything I require to hack the Wii tomorrow.

Some key points I have gathered are:

• BootMii will allow me to backup / restore the Wii's nand and can basically act as a safety net to recover the Wii if it somehow gets messed up.
    • The Homebrew Channel is the main place I will load homebrew and emulators from.
    • Priiloader should be installed to block disc and online updates which will likely disable stuff like the Homebrew channel.

I hear DARKCORP allows the Wii to play burned games and WiiFlow will load games from a USB hard drive, however I have not really looked in to any of that yet.

9. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

BootMii will allow you to backup your NAND BUT that doesn't mean it will allow you to restore it. The Launch Wii's can backup and restore NAND but the newer Wii's won't let you restore the NAND because nintendo found the bug and fixed Boot2 preventing it to be restored. You'll soon know if when you try to install BootMii and it will only allow you to install as IOS instead of installing to Boot2. If you can install to Boot2 then you can backup and restore NAND but if you can only install as IOS then you can only Backup and not restore, so just be careful when doing stuff to the Wii.

The Homebrew channel is indeed the main place where homebrew is loaded, of course if you look around you'll find channels that you can install so you can boot emulators from the Wii's main menu.

Priiloader does indeed block disc and online updates. Another good thing about Priiloader is its actually a better brick protection then BootMii IF you can only install BootMii as IOS.

DARKCORP installs a bunch of IOS's that will make it easy to load burned games from the main menu of the Wii, gamecube and Wii games alike. This will work just find IF that Wii doesn't have a D3-2 drive. I suggest you go here and type in the Wii's code that is on the console, it should give you a estimate of the likeliness that the console will have a D3-2 drive. D3-2 drives can't read burned games which means you'd either have to buy a new disc drive for the Wii online to play burned games or just load Wii games via USB also a small note, Gamecube games can't be loaded from USB.

There are multiple USB loaders out there, most are pretty similar and just differ by preferences really, I use WiiFlow as its a nice cover loader with plenty of themes.

I found what it was I was talking about. Nintendo released an update after September 2010 that updates IOS's although it doesn't make the console unmoddable it makes it a bit more difficult. There was a program called Dark Corp virgin that would just allow you to use that program to make your Wii go from no mods to completely modded for you. This IOS update makes that not possible anymore, though you can get around that by just using Pimp My Wii. it will update all IOS's to the latest version without you needing to look around everywhere for the IOS's. So I just suggest using Pimp My Wii, its a program that'll run on the Homebrew channel.

I haven't kept up with the Wii homebrew scene extremely recent but obvious i've kept up long enough for 4.3 and nothing have came afterwords so if there are any problem you have i'll more then likely know a solution.

10. InsaneNutter

Thanks for the info Dark Scyth, the Wii is all modded and working great (Y)

Its nice to mod something for once without having to take it to bits, I think the hardest part was playing through the first level of Lego Indiana Jones so i could copy the hacked save from the SD card!

HackMii did its job and BootMii was installed to Boot2 with no problems.
    The Homebrew channel was also installed fine, along with DARKCORP and Priiloader.

I have added the people who have posted there Wii friend codes, if anyone is still playing on there Wii feel free to add me.

11. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

Ah, one of the lucky ones with boot2 access. I only have it as IOS which sucks but I can still use the NAND backup on NAND loaders if I want to play certain Wii Channel games from my USB drive. If you have any questions about installing WADs or anything of the sort I know all about it.

12. InsaneNutter

Can WADs be installed directly to the SD card? I installed a few and filled the Wii's NAND up pretty fast, it then took quite a while to move them to the SD card.
    Thats not really a problem, just wondering if there is a better way than what I was doing?

Also are they any homebrew apps you would recommend? I have the Homebrew Browser installed, however I think the server it connects to is down. A lot Wii related hacking websites appear to have been offline for the last few days. (wiibrew.org, hackmii.com, bootmii.org and so on, luckily Google has cached copies of them)

13. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

No, there is no way to copy WAD files directly to SD cards, they can be moved to the SD card, which does take quite some time. Well, I think the homebrew browser should be working again and I've heard most of those sites are back up but if they aren't go to the homebrew section of wiiso.com

14. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

Gamecube hard drive loading on the Wii is now possible, notice I say possible, that doesn't mean it's very good. DIOS MIOS was released last week, it allows GC HD loading on the Wii. This is apperently a very early version, 85%+ of the games freeze or go black screen while a couple do seem to work, such as Extreme GIII and Starfox Assult without the option to save. While the creator of DIOS MIOS says it'll never be fully functional, over time it should see improvements and it's even open source so everyone can improve on it.