PC overheating...

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by AntiNaz, May 15, 2009.

1. AntiNaz

AntiNaz Addict

Hey, recently my laptop has started overheating ALOT. Do any of you Digiex Techies know how to repair a laptop fan without taking it too much apart?

2. xzKinGzxBuRnzx

xzKinGzxBuRnzx The Feature Man

If the laptop fan is still working just try cleaning it out with a vacuum cleaner.

3. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Can you actually open your laptop and get to the fan?

If you Google you might find the service manual for your laptop which shows how to take it apart.

If your laptop is anything like mine you will have to just about take everything out to get to the fan / heatskink.

I manage to take mine apart but I couldn’t get the parts anywhere to fix it, in the end I had to send it back to Acer. I had no extended warranty so it cost me £40 for them to collect it, £10 for the new part, £10 labour and another £40 to send it back to me.

4. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

Just to send it back!?

5. InsaneNutter

Yes!!

Such a rip off, when I originally sent it back I was lead to believe the £40 charge for them to pick it up would cover sending it back too.

When I got the laptop I was told Acers were good but the customer service was terrible, I see why now!

The shipping charges were 7 times more than the actual part its self... great times.

6. AntiNaz

AntiNaz Addict

InsaneNutter, my laptop is just like yours. You need to take EVERYTHING apart. Should I just call Dell? I dont want to use a vacuum. Sorry Burnz xD

7. human

human Well-Known Member

dont know the acer but try the vacuum - the vents to the fan can get clogged up with dust . if you do start pulling your laptop or pc apart remember to earth yourself to stop the old static to RAM zap (been there)

8. InsaneNutter

The vac is a good suggestion to try, it will get clogged up with dust after a few years of use.

If you have a warranty it can’t hurt to call dell if all else fails.

9. BonezOz

BonezOz Addict

Sydney, Australia, the greatest city in the World
    I'd recommend a can of compressed air. Remove the keyboard and blow the crap out of everything you see :)

10. AntiNaz

AntiNaz Addict

Reallly? How would you take out the keyboard? Mine sort of has a slot in it and do you just pop it out?

11. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

Dells support is good, they will pick it up, sort the problem out and return it. When you bought your laptop they usually put the 3 years warrenty on it, and you have to opt out to only be covered for a year. If your still under warrenty, get them to sort it out for free :)

12. BonezOz

BonezOz Addict

Sydney, Australia, the greatest city in the World
    Don't know about your laptop but mine has three screws on the bottom and 4 clips between several of the F# keys and it pops right out, can get to everything

13. AntiNaz

AntiNaz Addict

I have dell on- call. They will drop by my house to repair. Cost 400 dollars for the 3 years term. Should I just call them? If I manage to clean out the heatsink and the fan, should I still call them? They might replace it if im lucky :)