Transfer Operating System to New SSD

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by Safinn, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Safinn

Safinn Addict

I have a 1TB Hard Drive installed in my computer but I am looking to buy an SSD. The one I am looking at is 64GB but I only want to use it for my operating system and installed programs. My hard drive at this moment has around 250GB on it.

How would I go about transferring the operating system and installed programs onto the SSD without having to start over again. This would mean I would keep all my Data on the hard drive like my music, videos and other files.

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

If you have Windows 7 or Vista go to Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore.

Click on "Create a system image" and follow the on screen instructions.

(Saving the image to a USB hard drive will be a lot quicker / easier than splitting it over many DVD's as you probably guessed)

[​IMG]

You can then connect the SSD and restore the image using a Windows 7 DVD or the system repair disc you can create.

(Bear in mind the current contents of your hard drive must be less than 64gb to restore it to the SSD you plan to buy)

Safinn likes this.
  3. Safinn

Safinn Addict

ahh thankyou. Is it possible to only put the operating system on the backup image and the installed programs?

4. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Nope i don't believe so, if you use Windows to image your drive your going to have to move stuff you don't want to image else where or delete it.

You might be able to do that with Acronis True Image however its been a long time since i used that.

5. Titcher

Titcher Addict

I normally do this stuff manually using DD, but you might want to try Clonezilla. Clonezilla