Tsunami warning issued for Hawaii, Pacific Zone

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by BigRod989, Mar 11, 2011.

1. BigRod989

BigRod989 Addict

HONOLULU — The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii has widened its tsunami warning to include Hawaii and the rest of the Pacific Ocean, while a watch notice was issued for west coast of the U.S.
    Sirens were sounded in Honolulu shortly after the warning was issued Thursday at 9:31 p.m. Haiwaii time.
    The warning follows a massive earthquake that has struck off the northeastern coast of Japan.
    It says the estimated earliest arrival in Hawaii of the first tsunami wave is 2:59 a.m. local time time Friday (7:59 a.m. ET).
    "A tsunami has been generated that could cause damage along the coastlines of all islands in the state of Hawaii," the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center's bulletin said. "Urgent action should be taken to protect lives and property."
    A tsunami watch was also issued for the coasts of Oregon, Washington and California as well as parts of Alaska, The Oregonian newspaper reported. The paper said any wave which reached the coast could hit just before 7:30 a.m. local time Friday.
    The warning also includes Australia, New Zealand, Mexico and Central and South America. The coast of North America is not included in the warning.
    Tsunami warnings are issued due to the imminent threat of a tsunami.
    This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates.

Info from Tsunami warning issued for Hawaii, Pacific - World news - Asia-Pacific - msnbc.com

I wanted to post this being that i live in Oregon and its something that no one has really ever thought of it happening here

2. seanpr92

seanpr92 Godlike

this is part of the after math imagine if this nuclear plant went boom

3. MasterChief

MasterChief Addict

I was just watching someone on YouTube about that, tragic news :S

4. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

It really does not look good at all atm :S

BBC News - LIVE: Japan earthquake

5. xBruce88x

xBruce88x New Member

If it helps any... it won't be an explosion like the atom bomb... but the risk of radiation is pretty high. So long as they keep pouring water in the thing it should keep it form completely melting down. The explosions that already occurred was from super-heated steam that was under pressure. Most of the dust seen was from the building itself, not radioactive toxic cloud (although i'm sure the building was radiated to some extent).

Either way... its not good. Hopefully they can get it under control soon. Toshiba, one of the people who built the place, has sent in several engineers to help.

*Just going by what I've been hearing on the news... both CNN and FOX.... and what I've Googled about it.

I know the U.S. coast guard has ships with fire-fighting equipment on them... large nozzles that spay water pumped from under the boat. I think we should send in some... in addition to what's on the ground.

There is some good news in that they've restored a power connection to the pumps built inside the plant... its just a matter of repairing those pumps now.