Updating JTAG XBOX 360 dashboard 8955 to 12625

Discussion in 'Console Help Center' started by schoonie, May 8, 2011.

1. schoonie

schoonie Member

Hello! I am having an issue and I have been searching for weeks to no avail. I have a jtagged xbox on 8955 dash and want to update to the newest dash. I have yet to find a tutorial or explanation on how to do this. I dont know if Im asking the right question or what. If anyone can help me or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated:)

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Hey and welcome to Digiex,

I made a detailed tutorial on how to upgrade to 12611, if you want to follow that the tutorial is here: Easily update your Jtagged Xbox 360 to Kernel / Dashboard 12611 with FbBuild 0.11

There is no real difference between 12611 and 12625 for Jtag users. For non Jtagged consoles new AP2.5 checks for games were added and the option to boot to disc again was brought back. AP2.5 does not matter to Jtag users, neither does booting to the disc as you can boot to anything you like when using DashLaunch.

With that in mind I would recommend upgrading to 12611 and install DashLaunch 2.21 which will allow your console to play all games that need 12625 as it ignores the version checks.

You can also use something like Jtag Tool that will do all the hard work for you, at the moment that will get you on 9199,12611 or 12625.

Good luck!

3. schoonie

schoonie Member

Thank you for the reply I greatly appreciate it! I have followed the tutorials very closely for easily updating your JTAG. Everything went as how the tutorial said it would only it did not update my dashboard. I am still on 8955. I tried to use the jtag tool and The JTAG tool doesn't work. It just gives me exception errors. Its unable to read the nand. The ONLY thing I can think of is the nand file file that I have is a donor and not the original. Any insight on that?

4. InsaneNutter

Are you sure you flashed the new updflash.bin? if you followed my tutorial i dont see how you could end up on 8955 and not 12611 unless you flashed the wrong file to the Xbox 360.

5. schoonie

schoonie Member

I did it again. I believe it bricked my system. says "System Error. Contact xbox Customer Support" and it shows E71 at the bottom of the screen. bottom right indicator flashing red on the console

6. schoonie

schoonie Member

I used a recovery NAND and fixed it. I figured out my problem. I dont have a donor NAND. I accidentally patched the recovery NAND....so my issue is I dont have an original OR donor nand. I tried to use jtag tool because supposedly it will get you a donor nand but I cant get that program to work. When I start it up it gives me this error:
    Unhandled exception has occured in your application. Access to the path C:\program files (x86)\jtag tool\CMD.bat is denied. I have no clue what this means and I have tried it on 3 different PC's. I am truly at a loss. I just want to get my dash to 9199 so I can use freeboot to get to the most updated. very frustrating :(

7. InsaneNutter

You still have everything you need to make a new FreeBoot image.

Load Flash360 on your Xbox 360, when you see this:

[​IMG]

Press X to backup your current nand, this will be saved in the folder where you run Flash360 from. (Be sure to delete and other nands in that folder to avoid confusion)

Open this nand you have backed up 360 Flash Toolbox and extract the files

[​IMG]

After that follow the tutorial

You will end up with an updflash.bin in the folder your running FreeBoot from

[​IMG]

You dont have any mod that stops you writing to your nand do you? such as this: Xbox-Scene News: Prevent HDD Crippling - NAND write protect diagram thats the only other thing I can think of as to why it would have not updated.

8. schoonie

schoonie Member

I dumped my NAND and when I open it in 360 flash it shows "bad KV" in all fields and the when I click on SMC, Key Vault, and Config Blocks a Check mark shows up on SMC and Config Blocks but Key Vault says its "encrypted only" and the square doesnt show a check mark but is solid blue. I also realized that my setup is XBR, not freeBOOT. I dont know if this makes a difference or not....but nonetheless I cant update :(

Again I truly appreciate your time and efforts in helping me. It does mean a lot :) and believe me I am learning stuff! lol

9. InsaneNutter

Read the very bottom of the guide, in the FAQ look at How do i find out my consoles CPU key?

You need to put your consoles CPU key in to Flash 360 Toolbox

[​IMG]

That should fix the bad KV message.

10. schoonie

schoonie Member

I have my cpukey and have used it in the 360flash. I have followed it to a T, and it keeps bricking it. can you even jump from 8955 to 12611? I was under the impression that you have to update to 9199 first THEN go to 12611 since im under XBR and not freeboot. once I go from 8955 to 9199 then I will be able to go to 12611 right?

11. InsaneNutter

If you have the right CPU key in Flash 360 it should read your keyvault fine, did you jtag your own 360 originally? I know some people used to swap keyvaults and stuff and sell them for people to host Modern Warfare lobbies and stuff.

I dont think it should matter what version you are on to be honest, however you can try this for updating to 9199 using your XBR nand: https://digiex.net/guides-reviews/c...xbox-360-freeboot-0-032-9199-dash-kernal.html I know that worked fine for a lot of people back in the day.

12. slimwadey

slimwadey Addict

I went directly from an old Blades dash on a Jasper to 12611
    i used easy freeboot and had to patch the SMC then inject the config and KV manually

Try using easy freeboot . i tried bestpig and Jtag tool before i got it right with Easy feeeboot. this i strange because i have jtag'd around 25 xbox's using either of the other methods

It seemed for me that using easy freeboot with either a falcon or Jasper worked better

I used easy freeboot cat edition i have uploaded it to MU here MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service or Insane can upload to Digiex

Slim

13. BigRod989

BigRod989 Addict

Are you Right Clicking and Running as Admin