Viewpoint: Microsoft Xbox One U-Turn - They listened too much to one set of users

Discussion in 'Gaming Hangout' started by Nimrod, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

While I know the public view on Digiex is more in favour of the recent announced changes to the Xbox One's DRM system (News Article here: https://digiex.net/content/472-microsoft-removing-xbox-one-drm.html ) I'm going to provide a different view point as someone who was excited about the new DRM system.

The benefits of new changes are clear:
    • No matter if you buy Games in Shops or Online, you do not have to have internet connectivity to play them.
    • You can now swap discs, re-sell or give them away as you see fit if its a disc-based game as that is your license key
    • Bonus: Region Locks Removed - However this was not due to the DRM system change, but an additional benefit announced.

However, it's important to realise some of the neat features you will be losing entirely:

• Sharing your game library with up to 10 friends
    • Roaming Profiles that could unlock / download its entire game library at a friends house
    • Disc-less Play
    • Equal Rights for Retail vs Online Purchasers
    • Ability to trade / re-sell or transfer licenses of Downloaded Games
    • Multi-tasking two games and hot swap between them, as it requires disc changing.

Full Article on the Polygon about the Features lost: Xbox One loses some disc-free play, family game-sharing plan with revised policies | Polygon

Now I know it goes against popular opinion on Digiex, however reading other news sites like Polygon / Verge, Neowin etc shows a totally different view. It appears quite large number of people are really pissed off that for the next 8 years we will be stuck with the same old disc based system in the age of Broadband. While it's true, Xbox One did alienate people with poor broadband (or no broadband) connections, for those who did have it if offered a glimpse of the future.

Who buy's CD's anymore? iTunes and various other Digital stores dominate music sales now. Do you buy boxsets on DVD as much as you use to? Netflix, Hulu, iPlayer, Amazon Video/Lovefilm are in progress of changing the TV and Movie industry. This Xbox One system was the future of gaming, Steam proved it on PC and Microsoft was about to do the same on console's. The cost of these new features? Always on connection, well at least once every 24 hours.

For those of us who live digital lifestyles with mobile phones, tablets, laptops and games console we have internet around us 24/7. Yes, once or twice every year your internet may go down for a few hours, maybe once in a while for a long period of time. But the reality is the check-in scenario wasn't a big a deal as most people made it. A really small number of people with no broadband would lose, but getting an Xbox 360 (or Playstation) as put by the Microsoft guy was actually a very valid statement. The number of gamers without internet was so few that it wasn't worth worrying about them vs everyone else.

Sadly I'm annoyed about this mess, I accept different view points but what Microsoft proposed to me, seemed like the logical next step for Gaming. They may have been a year or two ahead of public opionon however console generations last 8 years. Due to this un-doing we're now stuck in a disc based world for another 8 years.

Here's a few comments from Polygons news article to see how some people really did wish it wasn't removed:

Just for those who say you can still buy Digital Games via Xbox Live and live this Digital World, there's a few things to remember:

Now you don't need to check in every 24-hours digital games are unlocked all the time without no connection. Because of this licenses cant be de-validated in shops which is why there is no trade-in anymore. You can't share them like you use to as again, no requirement to check in. You can't buy a retail game and convert it to digital and vice versa. Digital users have lost a lot here to support people who insist on disc-based DRM.

My final view point is: It's great Microsoft listened to 'some' people who kicked off a fuss and wanted the old disc-based drm system back. But in 3-5 years when internet is even MORE widespread and disc's for Movies / TV / Music are all but old-school, Console's will be stuck in the past with physical disc's... And due to the way the system is now Microsoft cannot simple un-do this move and suddenly re-enable the old internet based DRM system as disc's with no internet requirements will already be everywhere, as will consoles with digital downloaded games no longer connection to the internet. The only way this system could work and stop you giving your entire town a copy of the game was to require a check-in, which in my view was a small price to pay for the features it unlocks. This system is now in place for 8 years, and we all have to live with it. Seems to be like Xbox 360 with better graphics is all we got now :/

2. seanpr92

seanpr92 Godlike

i dont see major fuss about online as long as its done well but i own a pc so im used to online only because if i take trip down to my local game 9/10 chances all the games are orgin/steam codes

3. xzKinGzxBuRnzx

xzKinGzxBuRnzx The Feature Man

Agreed. I was quite disappointed to hear about this. Although it is a bit impressive to see the Xbox One go region free. I'd much rather have digital over disc any day. Even with Microsofts massive u-turn, why did they decide to remove some of the digital aspects? This could of made digital copies more appealing as there going to cost more when it comes to retail older/used games anyways.

I guess all we can do is hope that a future update will bring back some of this functionality. :(

4. seanpr92

seanpr92 Godlike

[video=youtube;hAtc1F0jtzY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAtc1F0jtzY[/video]

5. lem_is_cool

lem_is_cool Resident

While this Xbox One Eighty means they listened to a degree, are you telling me they HAD to cut all those features? Why not make the drm optional or have an offline mode where games lent out are flagged and can't be used offline until returned. Feels more like a punishment for voicing our opinions than a compromise.

6. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

They had to cut them because what you just said is entirely unfeasible. If Consoles can stay offline, how are they to know if certain games are lent out or licensed to another user? Either the Disc is the license or a CD-Key is. But it can't be both otherwise you could buy a game, put the cd key into an online console and put the disc into an offline console and get the game twice.
    This is the true cost of supporting the old disc method...

7. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Personally I don’t think the issue is nowhere near as big as your making it out to be.

You now have a choice, you can either be totally digital which you want to be or stick to the classic method of purchasing games on disc and installing them.

What is wrong with choice?

You have lost:

• Equal Rights for Retail vs Online Purchasers, as in you can’t currently sell your digital purchase.
    • Sharing your game library with up to 10 friends, that could be brought back in at a later date... would certainly be a good pr stunt.

You have not lost:

• Roaming Profiles that could unlock / download its entire game library at a friend’s house
    • Disc-less Play
    • Multi-tasking two games and hot swap between them.

You now simply have choice if you wish to go digital and take advantage of the featured you listed, or stick to the current way of buying things on disc.

Going the digital only way give you a roaming profile, disc-less play and Multi-tasking two games (still not really sure the benefit of this? probably match make as watching tv or something).

Microsoft provided very little details regarding the family / game sharing plan. Most took the best case scenario and went with it. Given Microsoft were trying to get more money from 2nd hand sales its very unlikely you would have been able to have 10 different friends, playing 10 of your games at any one time. That has always sounded too good to be true.

My guess you could have probably shared with 10 friends, but only one friend could have been playing at any given time. The latest rumour is that Xbox One family sharing would have been limited to 60 minutes... Given how Microsoft wanted to control the used game market, it seems unlikely to me they would have been so generous.

In reality we know next to nothing about how it would have worked, we can only speculate.

I think a massive plus you have missed is thanks to this we still have a cheap, used games market. Even with Microsoft allowing trade in's with the old DRM system its only in certain big shops, like Game who could have taken advantage of it. Shops like Game sell used games at near full retail pricing.

We now have Ebay, CEX, Amazon Market where old games will be able to be purchased for next to nothing. Personally i would pick cheap games and having to place a disc in the console over be locked in to an expensive, controlling drm system.

Another plus of the new system which is a first for any console is you can digitally import games direct from the Xbox Dashboard, as there is no region coding. You dont have to wait two weeks for a game from Play-Asia to arrive in your letter box if you wish. That's a situation where i would likely choose digital over the disc based system.

As it stands at the moment i think its a major win for consumers at both side of the fence, we have choice, which is always good.

8. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

1) They still require Kinect to be plugged to the console.
    2) It does not have a physical power on/off button.

Microsoft was too late with this decision and they still didn't got rid off Kinect to make it optional. I'm still going for PS4, there's nothing that makes me want Xbox One.

9. seanpr92

seanpr92 Godlike

i think with online system it would have been harder for piracy and wouldnt be modders like in 360