Windows 8 and you XBOX controller

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Popcorn, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Popcorn

Popcorn Active Member

Hello

Have you tried the new Windows 8 yet? Or maybe you have seen screenshots or a video of the brand spanking new interface? Designed for the tablet Microsoft has changed the way you using their new operating system. The new interface is closely linked to the new XBOX dashboard we all love (and I am guessing the just thought OH and put it on windows 8).

Any ways after one my chats about the various and obscure with insane-nutter (mad-guy), I proposed the question (as he has a copy of windows 8 already *envy face* lol) What about using your Xbox controller with the new interface? What do you guys think? Me personally I think that it would be an awesome step in the right direction. Moving away from the standard mouse and keyboard (I mean WOW). Ergonomics are major bucks and I think that Microsoft might have just unwittingly stumbled on a killer application for the XBOX controller.

I would love to hear your comments on this.

And we should all push Mr InsaneNutter to test drive this and publish a little video on how well it would work.

Thanks for reading this.

Popcorn

P.S. I think my first post went OK,

I am going to be posting some more weird concepts in the future

MasterChief likes this.
  2. MasterChief

MasterChief Addict

Firstly almost 5 years before making your first post?! welcome, you took your time ;) you must be one of the first people to sign up on Digiex.

For navigation the Metro interface would easily work with an Xbox controller, as you say it does on the Xbox. Its simple enough to function great when hooked up to a TV using a remote or even the 360 joypad. I must be honest i have used Windows 8, i got a copy from Dreamspark however i haven't actually connected my 360 controller to see if it works or not.

For a Media / Gaming pc hooked up to a HDTV that would be good, for anything else the mouse and keyboard will give a much better experience, touch screens, remotes, joypads hinder the speed you can work at for most normal desktop tasks.

Unless you are playing a game on a desktop pc would you really want to pickup a joypad? the mouse and keyboard enable a user to be so much more productive.

Popcorn likes this.
  3. oO Flowzilla Oo

oO Flowzilla Oo Addict

Wow! I've never seen that before.... :O

Popcorn likes this.
  4. Popcorn

Popcorn Active Member

Yes I admit I was there in the initial stages of the wonder that is Digiex, I went to University with the founding members.

Thanks for your comments made me feel a bit better about posting

Cheers

Popcorn

5. Rick

Rick Moderator

Welcome back.

Popcorn likes this.
  6. Trebor

Trebor Dolphin Fan

Hi Popcorn, welcome back to Digiex I guess, didn't even know you had signed up all that time ago :) Anyway as to you're thoughts, I couldn't see it hurting MS to allow this, considering that I know quite a few people who use their 360 controllers for some PC games (it's honestly more easier than the default key layouts some of them use, ones which you can't change may I add). Also there was some news a while back that MS wanted Win8 to be more intergrated with games which they have already done.

Popcorn likes this.