XBMC Running on Xbox 360 via Linux

Discussion in 'Gaming Hangout' started by InsaneNutter, Jul 9, 2009.

1. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Team Cygnos have posted a video of XBox Media Center (XBMC) running on XBox 360 with Ubuntu launched via the Xell loader by tmbinc.

To quote: We managed to patch XBMC for Linux so that it runs on the XBox 360. It is still a proof-of-concept and does not have sound or 3D acceleration, but it runs!

This is a demonstration of XBMC (Xbox Media Center) running on an XBox 360 with Ubuntu 7.10.

More information on Cygnos360 News

[video=youtube;biCZJNFV8nI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biCZJNFV8nI[/video]

As I’m a big XBMC fan I had to share ;)

2. xzKinGzxBuRnzx

xzKinGzxBuRnzx The Feature Man

Its getting so close to running homebrew. As you can see its pretty much there. Once the minor problems have been fixed then I'll be installing lots. I have 7 Xbox 360's here at the moment. Only two working, though I'm sure I'll get then fixed some how soon! ;)

3. InsaneNutter

The only problem is that to downgrade a console it has to have been manufactured before August 2007 and be a console without a HDMI connection.

Hopefully the 360 Linux port will improve over time, XBMC on the 360 would be great ;)

Good luck with fixing them 7 360’s!

4. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

That was interesting. It would be cool to see homebrew and XBMC on a 360. The newer the consoles it seems the harder and harder it is to mod it, except for Wii's they cracked that easily.

5. Titcher

Titcher Addict

That part isn't completely true, it's possible with the cygnos360 to have more than one kernel on the same xbox360, this is of course a hardmod however. It'll be more probably for someone to find a new game exploit and then using that, discover a new xbox exploit. The main reason homebrew is so difficult is because games don't have complete control, so when they found the kingkong shader exploit they couldn't do very much until they foudnt he hyperviser exploit which allowed total access.

6. InsaneNutter

The Cygnos360 chip still only works on 360’s manufactured before August 2007 without a HDMI connection though. I would imagine after August 2007 all the 360’s manufactured were a new hardware revision which the old dashboard and kernel couldn’t run.

If you’re lucky enough to have one of these 360’s the chip does mean you can use it as a normal 360, update it and play on live, then exploit it as you please.

7. InsaneNutter

[video=youtube;2KgTWJUbToM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KgTWJUbToM[/video]

Should be good, bring on the homebrew stuff :)

When this is released ill be switching the region of my non updated 360 to the USA so I can play a couple of region locked games that will probably never be released in Europe.

8. Titcher

Titcher Addict

If you buy the Cygnos, you can have the updated and hacked firmwares on the same xbox, just swap with the switch like that guy does in the video.

9. xzKinGzxBuRnzx

I'm wondering, it says "A new hack is in development which works on all consoles not yet updated to the 849x update (Summer 09). This hack will be released soon." However, I'm wondering just when will this update be released. As it has taken quiet a while to reach this point. Will it be an hour form now, tomorrow, or next year? Saying "will be released soon" isn't exactly telling anyone when, other than "soon". Which is like saying I plan to get a job "soon". ;)

According to there site, they added that information on August, 11th 2009. Which I must ask, how much longer will it take for this so called hack to be released? I'm dieing to see it actually work. In fact the sooner the better for me. As I have three 360's standing by (1 working - 2 non working) wanting this hack. Though the sooner I get this hack the sooner I can get those 360's replaced or repaired, so they could also be used for homebrew!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  10. InsaneNutter

Part of the hack has been released just a few hours ago! it’s not really in a state where we could use it yet though, it’s more progress though.

From Xbox-Scene:

At first I don’t think it will be very exciting but I’ll be very interested to see what happens over the next few months, hopefully this will be the start of nice homebrew apps and some nice hacks for the 360, such as playing region locked games. I bet the GameCube / Wii emulator could be ported and work quite well on the 360 too ;)

I wonder how easy / hard it will be to setup once more is known about it.

11. xzKinGzxBuRnzx

Xell DHCP 1024x786 VGA Xenon Kernel for JTAG Hack

If seems like this is getting closer. Too bad I don't have the Xenon/v1 board, as mine has a HDMI port. ;(

12. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

My friend still has a working Xenon motherboard but he updated to the summer update so hes screwed too.

13. InsaneNutter

I really need to get the Cygnos 360 for my launch console ;) its not getting updated thats for sure.