Xbox One - Windows 8 provides potential to Apps + Indie Games

Discussion in 'Gaming Hangout' started by Nimrod, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

Read this on The Verge reporting from Microsoft's Build Conference:

Microsoft teases Windows 8 apps on Xbox One, says devs get a 'head start' by building now | The Verge

Sounds to me like a pretty strong hint. If people could build Apps like they do for Windows 8 App Store and put them on Xbox One, that be awesome for both Indie Developers, as well as for lots of awesome apps like Plex / XBMC etc.

It's a shame Microsoft PR is so bad, because this is sounding like a lot of potential if you ask me.

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Windows 8 style Modern apps / games on the Xbox One should be pretty cool as i believe it costs £50-100 each year and you can publish what you want. Perfect for games like Angry Birds and the more casual games. VLC are doing a "Modern" version of it, so it should be pretty easy to get access to something that can play 1080p MKV's.

Maybe its even enough for emulators and such? although i would be amazed if they ever got approved for the Xbox One app store.

In contrast the more established indie devs who wish to take advantage of the full Xbox One hardware appear to be annoyed with Microsoft though, they cant self publish, where as they can on the PSN which some are been pretty vocal about:

The developer of Oddworld stated the other week:

3. MonsterMMORPG

MonsterMMORPG Resident

yes they say that possible to many indie games

recently indie games are doing better job than very big compaines :D