Death by Xbox 360

Discussion in 'News and Article Submission' started by seanpr92, Aug 1, 2011.

1. seanpr92

seanpr92 Godlike

[​IMG]

A LAD of 20 has been killed by a blood clot caused by playing his Xbox for up to 12 hours at a time.

A post mortem revealed that Chris Staniforth - addicted to games such as Halo - had suffered a deep vein thrombosis. It can be triggered by sitting in one position for long spells.
    Stunned dad David, of Sheffield, said: "He lived for his Xbox. I never dreamed he was in any danger.
    "As a parent you think playing computer games can't do them any harm because you know what they are doing.

Kids all over the country are playing these games for long periods - they don't realise it could kill them."
    Chris collapsed seconds after telling a friend how he had been experiencing a strange sensation in his chest.
    The pair were chatting outside a JobCentre where Chris had an interview.
    David said: "He told his friend how he was woken in the night by a strange feeling in his chest.
    "He said his heart rate had been incredibly low but it went back to normal and he fell asleep again.

[​IMG] Addictive ... Xbox 360

"Then he dropped a packet of chewing gum and as he picked it up, he jolted back and began to spasm."
    Chris's friend called an ambulance - but paramedics could not save him.
    A coroner yesterday confirmed DVT had caused Chris's death and it was cited on his death certificate.
    He did not have a history of ill health and had no underlying medical complications.
    DVT is a blood clot which develops in the legs or lower torso, often when the suffer's movement is restricted for long spells.
    If the clot travels up the veins to the lungs, it can cause a fatal blockage known as a pulmonary embolism.
    DVT used to mainly strike passengers on long-haul flights who sat for hours in the same position.
    But in recent years it has increasingly been seen among those who sit for longs spells in front of computer screens.

Seems suns bashing consoles lately

heres what game site destructoid said

The Sun has gone for a double whammy today! Earlier we talked about its continuing vendetta against the 3DS, and now we have a far more alarming story for your Saturday morning hysteria. The British paper, known predominantly for pictures of tits and histrionic drivel, has run the huge front-page headline, "DEATH BY XBOX."
    The story concerns itself with twenty-year-old "gaming addict" Chris Staniforth, who died of deep vein thrombosis. The blood clot that finished him off, reports the Sun, is a direct result of his gaming habits. It might actually be true, since playing Halo for twelve hours a day could indeed lead to fatal problems, as could doing anything sedentary. That doesn't, of course, justify a "news" paper claiming that the Xbox killed you.
    Interestingly, the parents of the dead man aren't angry at games at all: "I'm not for one minute blaming the manufacturer of Xbox," said his father. "It isn't their fault that people use them for so long. But I want to highlight the dangers that can arise. Playing on it for so long is what killed him -- and I don't want another child to die."
    That's fair enough. It's a shame the Sun had no interest in contributing to a valid concern and instead went straight for the "videogames will MURDER you" message. And they wonder why intelligent, rational human beings think the Sun is a dribbling piece of shit

2. oO Flowzilla Oo

oO Flowzilla Oo Addict

damn,I play video games but 12 hours....???:(

3. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

4. seanpr92

seanpr92 Godlike

i think if your sat at a chair its not bad as i have chair and have played 4 hours straight i think its if your sat with legs crossed as that could cause blood clot sat in same postion

5. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

True but if your sat still for all that time it could easily slow the circulation of blood down? i don't know to be honest I would presume the guy got up at some point, so it makes you wonder.

I drink quite a lot of water / tea which, which means i getup for that a lot, and in turn the toilet. So i probably don't sit totally still for much more than an hour at the most when on the PC / Xbox, just makes you think really.

6. Mr.Needlemouse

Mr.Needlemouse Resident

reminds me on a chinese guy that played more then 24 houres PC and died later cause of exhauste

7. Neoteam1

Neoteam1 Addict

This just proves that he didnt have a life any way so yea 1 less waste of space.

8. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

Such an ignorant post. What makes you think you can judge other people? Should I call you stupid because of your horrible grammar? It would be foolish just for me to make this inquiry just from your typing, although I suppose I have this post to back it up now, I know you don't want me judging you, so how about you don't judge others?

9. SilverUniverse

SilverUniverse Member

I remember the "article" The Sun made about LulzSec and Anonymous, it was like stupid primary school kids bad mouthing the brainy kid for doing well

Back on topic, I do find it strange how any parents would allow their child (regardless of age) to play games for such a long time. If it wasn't DVT it could have been any number of other conditions that are triggered by lack of exercise, or even movment for that matter. People take a break from work when they get exhausted, gaming isn't any different.