Hack a 250gb, 320gb or 500gb Sata harddrive to work in the Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Slim

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Guides' started by InsaneNutter, Dec 8, 2009.

1. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

That's the problem unfortunately, you can't use Hitachi drives, Hddhackr is only compatible Western Digital hard drives.

You could however put the drive in a USB caddy and use it as a USB drive, that will pretty much let you do everything except play backwards compatible original Xbox games these days.

You can actually use up to 2TB usb drives now, compared to the maximum of 512gb for internal drives. So theirs less of an incentive to hack a drive for internal use now, compared to historically when this was the only real option to greatly increase the Xbox 360's storage capacity.

2. larkesken64

larkesken64 New Member

@InsaneNutter thank you for the response, but from this post I was under the impression some Hitachi drives were able to work with this method. Is it just hit or miss for each drive manufacturer?

3. InsaneNutter

No Hitachi drives will work with Hddhackr, some original 360 drives were Hitachi which you might have seen in some screenshots, however its only possible to hack Western Digital hard drives.

4. larkesken64

larkesken64 New Member

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I appreciate your work!

5. happyfeet111

happyfeet111 New Member

@InsaneNutter Hello, first off like others here I want to say that your work in keeping this thread up to date and helping others is much appreciated. I'm not sure where to post my problem, but it is slightly different but still related to making a new drive work on the 360.

I have an original non slim XBOX360 with a 20GB HDD that recently failed and could not be recognized by my XBOX or on my PC through FatXplorer. I took it to a data recovery service, and they said that the problem was a severe firmware issue. They also said that they should be able to clone the failed drive onto a new one that I provide, though they don't have much experience working with XBOX360's.

My question is, for the best compatibility, should I order an original XBOX360 HDD (thinking of getting one bigger than 20GB)? Or can I get any regular WD hard drive (500GB max for an internal drive unless I'm mistaken)?

Finally, if the regular WD hard drive is the best way to proceed, do I provide the drive to them as is and let them do the cloning? Or do I need to follow the steps in this thread to format the drive beforehand?

Thanks again, and sorry if this is a bit off topic!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  6. InsaneNutter

You can use any of the Western Digital hard drives listed as compatible in the original post, that said you need a device capable of hacking the drive with Hddhackr, which is not always easy on modern hardware. The only device that would work when I last attempted to hack a hard drive was an old Netbook I had from 2008.

The most important thing is really to extract the data from the hard drive, if the recovery company can do that for you, then you can inject that back in to an internal harddrive for the Xbox 360 you either purchase or hack, or even a usb drive configured for use in the Xbox 360.

Even if you follow the process in this guide and hack a drive, if the recovery company images that drive and restores the image to your newly hacked drive I suspect the new drive either A) won't work in the 360 or B) you will be limited to 20gb usable space as they have resorted a 20gb partition 3 from the original hard drive. If they did that you could always extract the data and re partition the drive with hddhackr, then copy the data back.

happyfeet111 likes this.
  7. happyfeet111

happyfeet111 New Member

Thanks so much for the quick reply! If I am able to find an original XBOX360 HDD to transfer the new data over rather than one of those WD hard drives, would the process be easier? For example, if I bought a 120GB XBOX drive then gave it to them without doing anything else, even if the recovery makes it only have 20GB usable space, would I be able to use an XBOX transfer cable, hook it up to my PC and extract data using something like FatXplorer rather than having to find old hardware and using Hddhackr?

8. InsaneNutter

To be honest you could give them any drive to transfer the data over to, the drive might not work on the 360 that way, however you could still hook it up to a PC and use any of the FATX tools to read the drive.