Play Pokemon Go with a Custom Rom or Root - LineageOS 16 / Android Pie Guide

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices' started by InsaneNutter, Mar 3, 2019.

1. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Pokemon Go doesn’t like custom Android roms, or even stock roms with root access enabled. For whatever reason Niantic think people who have custom roms or root on their Android device must obviously be cheating and there for locked out of playing the game.

I’ve personally used custom roms since 2010 on various Android devices to keep them up to date with the latest Android versions and security patches, long after the manufacturer has stopped supporting the device. In addition, having got used to all the nice tweaks, customisation and privacy features custom roms offer, I’d find it hard to go back to stock Android now as its quite limited in comparison.

Whatever your reasons are, this is how I have Pokemon Go working on a OnePlus 5T running LineageOS 16. The same should apply to most Android devices however.

1. First you need to install Magisk - i’d suggest reading the Magisk documentation as this will vary from device to device, so it's impossible for me to give a step by step everyone can follow here.

However if you have a custom rom / recovery installed its usually a case of booting in to your recovery (TWRP is the most popular) and flashing Magisk to your custom rom. You can still install OTA updates with Magisk installed as its systemless, meaning you can also keep root when updating. Bonus!

I’d also recommend making a full backup of your device first too.

After you have installed Magisk, load the Magisk Manager app up and run a SafetyNet test:

pokemon-go-custom-rom-linage-os-root-magisk-play-1.jpg

Most newer devices will probably fail the ctsProfile test, if you happen to pass ctsProfile and basicintegrity you can skip installing these two Magisk Plugins.

Go to downloads in Magisk Manager and download the Busybox for Android NDK plugin, install this and reboot. Now do the same and download the MagiskHide Props Config plugin:

pokemon-go-custom-rom-linage-os-root-magisk-play-2.jpg

Essentially MagiskHide Props Config is a script that will allow you to change your devices fingerprint to what it should be if you had no custom rom installed. Some custom roms do this automatically so this is not an issue, however LineageOS doesn't on all devices.

If you don't have a terminal emulator app installed, you can enable the Terminal Emulator in the Android developer settings, or download this free Terminal Emulator from the Play Store.

Type props in to the Terminal Emulator and MagiskHide Props Config should be loaded:

pokemon-go-custom-rom-linage-os-root-magisk-play-3-new.jpg

Press 1 to edit the devices finger print:

pokemon-go-custom-rom-linage-os-root-magisk-play-4.jpg

Press f to choose a certified fingerprint for your device, going through the menu's to choose one. Once applied you will need to reboot your phone:

pokemon-go-custom-rom-linage-os-root-magisk-play-5.jpg

If you run another SafetyNet in Magisk and you should now pass the ctsProfile and basicintegrity checks:

pokemon-go-custom-rom-linage-os-root-magisk-play-6.jpg

You now want to click on to the Magisk settings menu and "Hide Magisk Manager":

pokemon-go-custom-rom-linage-os-root-magisk-play-7-new.jpg

If you don't hide it Pokemon Go will detect the Magisk Manager app and refuse to work.

Now go to the Magisk Hide menu and ensure Pokemon Go to ticked:

pokemon-go-custom-rom-linage-os-root-magisk-play-8.jpg

That's all the configuration for Magisk done, if you are using a LinageOS rom i'd suggest searching in the Settings app for Privacy Guard and enable this for Pokemon Go:

pokemon-go-custom-rom-linage-os-root-magisk-play-9.jpg

This will greatly restrict what Pokemon Go can access on your phone.

Finally go Settings > Apps > Pokemon Go and give the game permission to use the Camera and Location:

pokemon-go-custom-rom-linage-os-root-magisk-play-10.jpg

You should also clear the storage and cache.

If the game has registered you've failed any of its security checks even if you have resolved the issue it won't sign in:

pokemon-go-custom-rom-linage-os-root-magisk-play-11.jpg

Its also worth mentioning if you have any files / folders called Magisk on your SD card / internal memory Pokemon Go seems to be able to detect these, so these should be deleted.

After this you should be able to play Pokemon Go without issue with a custom rom flashed to your phone, or root enabled.

This is essentially the process i've done for several years on various LineageOS versions, it should work great on LinageOS 16 / Android Pie anyway.

Happy catching trainer!

Nimrod and BLACKDOT098456 like this.
  2. Sychosid8

Sychosid8 New Member

What if i have a installed a stock rom but it is not rooted?

Will pokemon go still block me?

3. InsaneNutter

If you have flashed the stock rom from the manifacturer to the phone and its not rooted, Pokemon Go should work.

Keep in mind i'm presuming the stock rom has the Google Play services installed, if you have purchased a chineese version of a phone (and not an international version) these likly won't as Google is banned in China.

Whatever rom you have, stock or custom needs to firstly pass Google's Safteynet and secondaly needs to have the fingerprint of the stock rom for your device.

4. Sychosid8

Sychosid8 New Member

Thanks for the info.. I'll be unlocking the bootloader this thursday and flash the rom Same day.. Hope it works and if it doesn't i guess i will try the magisk option

5. dafaher

dafaher New Member

Hello everyone, I'm really sorry to bother you guys. I have a rooted device with a custom rom (LineageOS 13), and when I try to play Pokemon Go, it says: "The device, OS or software is not compatible with Pokemon Go".

I installed Magisk 19.3 for the first time and it seems to be working fine, I'm even passing both the ctsProfile and basicintegrity checks. But I still can't play the game because the same message is shown. Then, I've been told to download MagiskHide Props Config to increase protection but when I try to "edit device fingerprint" my Samsung device isn't listed. I decided to try the "improved hiding" directly, it rebooted my device and I could finally enter the game but it still shows the same message. What should I do?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestion!

6. InsaneNutter

If you have any folder on your phone internal memory or sd card called Magisk ensure you delete that as the game is programmed to look for it.

Have you hidden Magisk manager also as described above? that's usually the one I sometimes forget to do if I flash a new rom and wonder why the game randomly stops working after a few seconds.

After you have done that force close the game and clear the cache and data, once the game has displayed the device incompatible error it will never work again until you clear the data / cache in my experience.

If your device passes the ctsProfile test you shouldn't need to anything with Magisk Hide Props Config, its mainly newer devices that need to do this. I suspect your device doesn't if your on a much older version of LineageOS. You can manually edit this for your device though, however you will need to find out from someone with a stock rom what this should be (Asking on the relevant sub form for your device on XDA Developers should get you the answer want) however i'm not convinced you actually need to do this based on what you have said, although it can't hurt to try.

BLACKDOT098456 likes this.