Wanting A PS3 Slim...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by KillerWhiteMan, Aug 27, 2009.

1. KillerWhiteMan

KillerWhiteMan Burnout Racer

I find myself wanting a PS3 Slim but I am in a dilemma: I just purchased an 80 GB console about a month ago. The PS3 Slim looks quite nice with its design and is said to run smoother and quieter. A friend suggested that I sell my current PS3 for about between $250 and $275 and then get a Slim. Any input everyone? I doubt I'll sell my console but I do kind of want a Slim. What do you guys think?

2. ShockResist

ShockResist Resident

i kinda dont like the way the slim looks. i heard it runs better than the original. i think u should keep the original ps3. all u need for the ps3 is for playing games and watching blu ray movies.

3. KillerWhiteMan

True. I meant there is nothing wrong with my current system I just kind of want the slim. I don't have to have it tho.

4. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as your console works fine and you don't think it'll break in a month or something like that why bother?

5. KillerWhiteMan

That's what I'm thinking. It's not like the bigger PS3 is ugly or anything. Maybe eventually I'll get the slim but not right now I don't think.

6. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

The PS3 slim is actually a downgrade in some respects as you can no longer install another operating system on it such as Linux, I know that won’t bother the majority of people I’m just saying. It seems like the PS3 looses more small extras with each new model, since its launch its lost hardware based PS2 emulation, the card readers, 2x usb ports and now the ability to install another OS.

To me it seems the older the PS3 the better if you’re not bothered how it looks, lets be honest your current PS3 must fit under the telly so I see no reason to upgrade.

7. KillerWhiteMan

I agree. I get annoyed with Sony because I don't like a company that makes a console then comes out with an "upgraded" version. Why not just make original console with the same technology and build as the new console.

8. Trebor

Trebor Dolphin Fan

Because they follow by the example that Nintendo had first. If you update your exsisting hardware with something new (be it aesthetic (color) or technical) then people are going to buy it even if they have the original. Heck god knows how much Apple make by following the same logic. They do it because they can get away with it....

9. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

I'm planning on getting a PS3 in a few weeks. Now i'm wondering the same thing. Should I get the fat or slim PS3. I sorta want Linux but I've actually never used Linux (Fat PS3 = Linux, Slim = No Linux). The Fat PS3 for $300 has a 80GB HDD and the Slim has a 120GB HDD. I would like the extra memory but with Linux I could use some Emulators among other things. What do you guys think?

10. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

If it was me I would go for the Fat PS3, I like homebrew / emulators so a PS3 that could run Linux would be the natural choice for me. You can upgrade the hard drive in the PS3 with any 2.5” Sata drive so if space ever was an issue it should be an easy upgrade.

You should find Linux easy to get started with, it can get a bit annoying if you have to do a lot of stuff with the command line, it’s almost guaranteed someone has done it before so a quick Google should solve your problem.