3D Realms shut down

Discussion in 'News and Article Submission' started by Assassin, May 7, 2009.

1. Assassin

Assassin Addict

[​IMG]

Developer 3D Realms was shut down yesterday as the result of a lack of funding. Webmaster Joe Siegler commented on Shacknews: "It's not a marketing thing. It's true. I have nothing further to say at this time."

Apogee, which was the original name of the company and was resurrected not too long ago to work on some of their older franchises, has not been affected by the shutdown.

3D Realms is best known for games like Duke Nukem 3D and had been working on Duke Nukem Forever for over 13 years. The game was doing well lately and there was even a teaser made for the game in late 2007.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWuteFLUPSY"]YouTube - Official Duke Nukem Forever Teaser Video[/ame]

2. Slaz

Slaz Roast as you make toast!

Hmm I was actually waiting for Duke Nukem Forever for around.. 5 years. Must be a hell for those who were waiting full time.

3. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

It’s a shame, I always thought the Duke Nukem games were fantastic!

I can’t honestly say it surprises me though, if Duke Nukem Forever really has been in development for 13 years just think how much money has been wasted on that alone? We have seen game trilogies been released in that time frame.

4. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

I don't think Duke is gone just yet...or atleast hope. Sort of like Fallout 1 & 2 was made then the developers went down, although we still have Fallout 3:D. Just a small hope to cling onto. Of course it was made by a different developer (Bethesda) but I wasn't disappointed in Fallout 3. I can only hope Duke Nukem falls into this catagory.

5. Trebor

Trebor Dolphin Fan

Maybe the rights to Duke Nukem will be sold onto a developer that knows how to make a good Duke Nukem game and not take forever with it....

6. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

lol, maybe that why it was called Duke Nukem Forever.

7. Assassin

Assassin Addict

Apogee is still making a Duke Nukem game for Nintendo DS and PSP. Other than that, I think it would be a smart move for another company to buy 3D Realms out now. Duke Nukem Forever has gotten a lot of attention over the years since it takes so long for it to release and now that it looks like it's not coming at all, it might be smart to put some money into that. A lot of people will probably play this game, even if only to see what took so long.

8. InsaneNutter

Indeed Assassin, even it was just an average game (not that duke ever could be!) I would buy it, I didn’t know a Duke game was in the works for the PSP and DS *googles*

Bungie or Epic should buy 3D Realms.. as long its not EA things should be good.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2009
  9. KillerWhiteMan

KillerWhiteMan Burnout Racer

All hell would break loose if EA bought them out. I would want to give up on gaming life. It's bad enough they have bought out Bioware. I'm nervous that Mass Effect 2 will suffer and become the dreaded "EA Effect". Much like other games have been killed by EA. Anyway back to topic, I do think that someone should buy out 3D Realms. Epic would be a good idea, I was also thinkind id Software would be a good choice too.

10. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

Yeah, I know. I don't think I can name one EA game that I was impressed by. ID Software would probably be pretty good! They did a good job with DOOM 3.

11. KillerWhiteMan

My thoughts exactly. id has done very well with the Quake and Doom series' so I think they would do well with Duke Nukem.

12. Assassin

Assassin Addict

Now that they're out of business they're releaseing some screenshots and art..

[​IMG]

Looking at this, I would have loved to play it..
    Apparently Take-Two owns the rights to Duke Nukem Forever, since they were going to publish it.. Let's hope they intend to do something with it.

Stuff that happen during/took less time than the development of DNF: http://duke.a-13.net/

13. BonezOz

BonezOz Addict

Sydney, Australia, the greatest city in the World
    This is truly a sad day :( Not because of DNF, that was a joke, but because of all the other great games that came out of 3D Realms.

14. Trebor

Trebor Dolphin Fan

Played Dead Space or Mirrors Edge lately? I would've said Spore but EA messed up big time with DRM. At least EA are trying to make new games these days. I'd say Activison are worse. They got rid of Ghostbusters and Brutal Legend (set to be published by EA!!!)

15. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

I thought Dead Space was a horrible attempt to make something similar to Resident Evil style look/Controls and make it creepier. Mirrors Edge, which I own unfortunately, doesn't seem to control as well as it should when it comes to wall running and grabbing onto ledges.

lol DNF cost 0$ and he gave them 10$ and got 10$ back. Looks like Squaresoft/Square-Enix has been whoring up as far as deveolping Final Fantasy games or with Final Fantasy characters. (Good thing I like Final Fantasy.)

16. InsaneNutter

Typical isn’t it lol, reminds me of Gears of War from looking at that screenshot!

haha! :D "The United States' entire program to put a man on the moon, from Kennedy's challenge to the landing."

Duke Nukem Forever should change the world the amount of time they have had to develop it!

17. InsaneNutter

18. KillerWhiteMan

19. Safinn

Safinn Addict

20. Slaz

Slaz Roast as you make toast!

I found this fansite (probably already well known in here) where a very dedicated group of Duke fans keeps updating on this issue and other Duke/3DRealms related 'stories' and developements.

Duke Nukem Forever - Duke4.net: News