ACER 5103WLMi Cd Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by MunkyMagikUK, Sep 28, 2008.

1. MunkyMagikUK

MunkyMagikUK Digiex Blogger

I currently have an ACER 5103WLMi laptop, but recently the disk drive has been refusing to recognise any disk that i put inot it. This is obviously rater annoying, and I was wondering if there was any cure for this, or whether my laptop is doomed?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

Compressed Air spray at drive? Go buy one of those cheap lens cleaning cd things?

I've had an issue with a few DVD drives on my pc not recognizing disks, but then i usually just replace them. Is it under warranty?

3. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Is it CD’s it won’t read or DVD’s as well?

It sounds like your drive could be failing or has failed.

Your laptop is not doomed, Acer will be able fix it no problems however as I found out if your laptop is not under warranty it will cost you an arm and a leg just to get the most simple thing fixed.

My CPU fan failed so I had to send the laptop back to Acer as even after taking half the laptop apart I just couldn’t get to it, it was like £40 for them to pick it up, £10 for the part + £10 labour costs then another £40 for them to ship it back... £100 for a fixing a fan :( it will be free if your laptop is under warranty.

Alternatively a USB DVD drive might be a cheaper option, try the cleaning stuff Nimrod said but that’s never done anything good for me.

4. MunkyMagikUK

MunkyMagikUK Digiex Blogger

Cleaning stuff didn't work, its the drive. Can't send it back to Acer as i haven't a clue where the serial number is, i think its faded :(

Anyway, gonna take it to my local PC shop at some point and see if they can fix it. And it won't play either DVD's or CD's.

Thanks for the help anyway!

5. Safinn

Safinn Addict

Im about 20% sure on this. My old laptop had a problem reading disks but I re formatted it and then it worked fine. I dont want you to try it and lose everything and not have it work.

6. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Could try putting a bootable cd/dvd in if that’s the case, such as the Vista install cd, no need to format :) If it boots the cd you could be right, however my money would still be on the drive failing.