Anyone upgraded Vista to Windows 7 RC?

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by Nimrod, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

Has anyone upgraded a perfectly good well used Vista, to Windows 7 RC and if so what was the results?

I keep wanting to upgrade my Vista :(

2. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

Besides me getting some odd CPU spikes, although it did it on vista too. All I can say is I don't ever want to go back to Vista. When ever I had Vista and a program felt like screwing up for no apparent reason and then you had to open up Task Manager and click end task and hope it actually ended it. I have NOT had this problem with the RC Beta once, it will actually run the program the way it was meant to be! I have seen speed improvements over Vista by far. It may take a few minutes to get used to it but I highly recommend it. Vista is so horrible compared to just the Beta of Windows 7 (In my opinion.) I can't wait to see the final product of Windows 7.

I highly recommend upgrading to the RC Beta!(Y)

(I will edit list of programs that won't work with Windows 7 if I find them) Unusable programs: Dolphin (GC Emulator), Catalyst Control Center (Still doesn't seem to work) Toshiba DVD Player (which I don't use), Final Fantasy VII doesn't seem compatible.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  3. BonezOz

BonezOz Addict

Sydney, Australia, the greatest city in the World
    Originally I had upgraded from Vista to build 7068 then to 7077, besides a few quibbles, namely apps in the Start up folder not starting, the ATI Catalyst 9.4 drivers not installing and some of my gadgets not working, I didn't have any major issues and it worked a champ.

I did end up doing a full/fresh install of 7077 over the weekend and am quite happy, to the point that I'm seriously considering leaving it alone for 6 months before I rebuild again.

4. Antony.R

Antony.R Addict

well im actually wanting to downgrade back to vista because the windows rc has a few bug that i dont like lol

5. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

What bugs did you have? I've yet to find any major bug that would want me to downgrade.

6. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

As you said on MSN you can do a complete backup and just restore Vista if you have problems with Windows 7. I know a few people who have upgraded Vista to Windows 7 and are very happy with the results, the only comment is the upgrade can take 1 – 2 hours where as a clean install takes about 20 mins.

I don’t plan to upgrade my Vista install as its been working perfectly for well over a year now, but I do plan partition my Vista drive on the main PC and install Windows 7 as I told you. You have a few hard drives, maybe install it on a secondary one or something?

If you backup worst case scenario is you don’t like it / it doesn’t work you waste a few hours.

7. allendale

allendale Member

Me too. I think I'll wait for the final release of Windows 7. Vista is just fine for now.