Apple gaming console

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Popcorn, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Popcorn

Popcorn Active Member

Hello,

Welcome back popcorn we've missed you (Aww you guys are too nice).

Firstly I must comment on the new look, very nice, not to cause offence but a definite improvement from the last a lot more mature. A big round of applause for the admins here.

So looking on the internet purposely for this post. It appears that Apple are considering a gaming console and Disney is rumoured to be involved. My first instinct is really Disney I mean neither need the other for this venture. Secondly are they really looking at the proper demographic. With Apple it almost seems like a mistake. The reason for the move is the connection with Disney to Pixar and Pixar to apple. Disney is apparently leaking money on-line. Even with the purchase of the new star wars franchise.

If Apple really wanted the high sales number then I don't think that they should be looking for Disney at all. They should do it on their own and involve teams of games developer's that could really drive a console, if they decide to make one, into the next generation.

Their popularity over the last few years has done nothing but grow stronger and it would seem a sensible move for them to move into the gaming console industry. I have just read a nice article on-line about Apple being the next Nintendo(please do not have a go at me for his comments about Nintendo I didn't say them)Is Apple the Next Nintendo? - DailyFinance. He points out that Apple could well be the new Nintendo of today. I tend to agree Apple could certainly resource the right people for "the job" (pun intended R.I.P).

With Microsoft bearing down on Apple, with the expected release of their new console (hope the don't call it the 720) and slowing growing gain in the phone market (HOW #toomanytiles) and the windows app store as well.

There comes a point where you have to ask your self would you buy a Apple console/game.

Thanks for reading

Popcorn

P.S

I except no liabilities for the reductionist of copyright during this post. #pleasedontsue

2. oO Flowzilla Oo

oO Flowzilla Oo Addict

If Apple were to make a console, it would probably just like the Xbox (iBox?). A multimedia device capable of streaming music, videos and play games. It would probably have a few apps on it too.

My answer is no, I would not buy a console from Apple.

3. Popcorn

Popcorn Active Member

Cheers for the comment

I suspect that the reason they haven't brought it out sooner is because there is no way the could afford to fail in this market the R&D for their own console coupled with getting game studios to learn how to do it would be immense

4. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

I could see Apple launching a gaming device in the future, maybe the Apple TV could eventually evolve in to that something like that? Its certainly got the power with the A5 processor, and it runs iOS meaning it wouldn't be that hard to use existing development tools. a Jailbroken Apple TV can run some iOS apps as it is, so...

OUYA is basically an Android based games console running 4.1 Jellybean under the hood, then as of today we also know of Nvidia's Project Shield gaming console.

Maybe a new wave of "casual" gaming consoles will be the next killer gadget? cheap console, cheap games, and most of all something that could appeal to all like the iPad. Essentially a multimedia device with some quality, casual games.

5. Popcorn

Popcorn Active Member

It sounds really good if you ask me just the idea of that level of gaming just nice to see the big boys haven't run everybody out their sends a positive message

6. MonsterMMORPG

MonsterMMORPG Resident

i hate from apple because they sell from double price :)

7. Michael_T

Michael_T Addict

I'm getting the Ouya & the Steambox this year.
    No PS4 or Xbox 720 for me !!!

Xbox 720 because it needs internet connection all the time. For an example : If your internet is out, you can't play games.
    Proof : IGN News - Xbox 720 to Require Online Connection? - YouTube

PS4 won't allow second hand games , what that means is that every game is bounded to your profile. So no second hand game will work. That's a good reason for me not to buy the PS4.
    Proof : Tomb Raider Multiplayer & Sony Blocks Used Games (Lightning Returns)

Info Steambox : IGN News - Valve "Piston" Console Details Revealed - YouTube

Info Ouya : IGN News : The Ouya Unveiled

8. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Nothing is fact its all just speculation at the moment, however sadly something like this is bound to happen sooner or later.

Ill be getting an Ouya as i backed the project on Kickstarter, however i dont see it been a replacement for a next gen console.

9. seanpr92

seanpr92 Godlike

if it was real knowing apple it will be overpriced like hell but use cheap parts