Best Buy Trying To Fire Employee Over HTC EVO Versus iPhone Videos

Discussion in 'News and Article Submission' started by InsaneNutter, Jul 5, 2010.

1. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

[​IMG]

TechCrunch report that Best Buy is trying to fire an employee over an HTC EVO versus iPhone video he created at home in his free time.

The video in question was made by Brian Maupin, a 25-year-old based in Kansas City, Missouri. For the past three and a half years he’s been working at Best Buy selling mobile phones. He’s probably not going to be doing that anymore as Best Buy has suspended him indefinitely and is currently taking the steps to terminate him, Maupin tells us. The reason? The video.

The video became so popular (it currently has nearly 1.3 million views on YouTube) that someone at Best Buy corporate saw it. They then put two-and-two together that it was an employee at one of their stores that made it, and the hammer came down. “They felt it disparaged a brand they carried (iPhone/Apple) as well as the store itself and were fearful of stockholders & customers being turned off to Best Buy Mobile,” Maupin says.

What’s ridiculous is that nowhere in the video does Maupin have anything indicating the fictitious store the iPhone buyer is walking into is a Best Buy. At the beginning, the cartoon employee identifies the store as “Phone Mart.” The character isn’t even wearing the signature Best Buy blue polo shirt — and they’re standing in an outdoor field with a pink tree.

In other words, nothing about this video seems to imply Best Buy in anyway. In fact, the only reason it will be tied to Best Buy now is thanks to this story.

Maupin says he was asked to quit, which he declined to do, and so they suspended him this morning telling him that he would most likely be terminated after they review it with HR. He expects the decision in the next day or two. “I issued a statement to them explaining that the video was intended to be comedic and hence, not taken seriously by them or all these stockholders & customers they are worried about [being] turned off to buying from them due to the video,” Maupin says in his defense.

Maupin isn’t sure how exactly Best Buy corporate knew to tie the video to him, but believes they did so because a couple other videos under his Tiny Watch Productions (a little indie film group he made with his friends) YouTube account featured videos referencing him and Best Buy. Maupin says he removed those videos at Best Buy’s request, but refuses to take down the EVO vs. iPhone videos because, again, they in no way reference Best Buy.

Regardless of whether he keeps his job or not (which he doesn’t expect to), Maupin is optimistic. “I see it all as a blessing in disguise. I’ve wanted to start my career in graphic design/animation for so long, I see this as my kick in the pants to go get it,” he says.

[video=youtube;FL7yD-0pqZg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg[/video]

[video=youtube;UAOtC9QfXac]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAOtC9QfXac[/video]

2. Lewie4

Lewie4 Resident

Aww which phone do I buy now? And its stupid he is going to get fired

3. Trebor

Trebor Dolphin Fan

Hmmmm smells like a unfair dismissal to me. Hopefully he can sue Best Buy for their actions. If not then he's at least done them damage by the way they've treated him allowing this story to run etc etc.

4. Slaz

Slaz Roast as you make toast!

They're probably afraid of any possible sue's by Apple regarding one of their employee's posting these videos.. It sounds a little far-fetched to me.

5. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

I guess all employers will try to find anything and everything to fire you, could be from youtube, facebook.etc
    (Not one of his but still found it funny)
    [video=youtube;qVzm8vVjHGs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVzm8vVjHGs[/video]​

6. ElMarrueco

ElMarrueco Active Member

it's not fair...where is freedom of speech and opinion for this guy??