Digiex's UT 2004 Server

Discussion in 'Gaming Hangout' started by InsaneNutter, Jan 27, 2008.

1. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Do you get that Gorge? or anyone else?

I can connect fine without been asked for the disk, the server has basically sat untouched since i last added a map from Gorge so not sure why you would randomly get that. The actual server settings have not changed for many years now.

2. techguyone

techguyone Elite Member

Odd isn't it. I am on a new PC although using the same disk and presumably GUID. Maybe I'll dig out the disk and insert it and see if the problem goes away. Bit odd though that i can just click 'continue' twice and it goes away anyway.

3. Gorge

Gorge Resident

No problem here. Server is fine.

New installation or just folder copy ?
    DVD verification is before patch installation

4. techguyone

techguyone Elite Member

I install normally, patch, then copy over the folder so the registry settings are good

5. techguyone

techguyone Elite Member

Well I tried again Disk at the ready.... Didnt seem to understand the disk was in.... so retry just went on and on and on and on.

I also (re)patched to 3369 again , no change there either.

Seems that Digiex will insist on me not having a disk every time I join , even though no other server does. It must be a setting somewhere serverside.

6. InsaneNutter

What happens if you simply do a clean install and patch it to the latest version?

I have tried on two different PC's, one which doesn't even have an optical drive in it and can connect to the server fine.

I don't believe this is a server problem as nothing has honestly changed settings wise for well over a year now. I suspect UT does not like something with you copying your old install over, given this has only happened since you got a new PC.

nodvd.jpg

7. techguyone

techguyone Elite Member

I dunno, I uninstalled & deleted the old UT, did a clean build, patched with 3355 then ECEBonus, then 3369 then.... was just the same, asking for the Disk (which was in the drive still) so it's weird.

8. InsaneNutter

I'm honestly not too sure what to suggest or even try now, i have just re started the server for you, does that make any difference?

Has anyone else got this issue?

9. techguyone

techguyone Elite Member

Still the same, weird, maybe its windows 8.1 64 bit don't worry, the prompt goes away if I press 'continue' twice, so it's not like I can't get on at all because of it. (Which makes the prompt seem a bit daft really)

10. InsaneNutter

I'm also on Windows 8.1 64bit , got a screenshot of this prompt?

11. techguyone

techguyone Elite Member

2004.png

That's the prompt. Edit - I found out something interesting. The prompt only appears if you run the game windowed, if you play full screen it does not show. Is that helpful?

12. InsaneNutter

I have seen that randomly happen with other games from time to time, usually if I have pressed cancel or re-started it has never come back. If your shutting down Windows 8 that's basically like hibernating Windows 7. Windows 8 only actually has a proper re start once a month for Windows Update, unless you re start manually, so that could be something to try.

As it only happens in a Windowed mode i'm really not too sure. Have you tried the usual of having the latest Direct X runtime updates installed and graphics drivers. I find on Windows 8 for some older games to work i need to have tried updating Direct x.

Although not ideal you can probably hide that error, along with most other errors by making the following change in the registry editor:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Windows

Modify the "ErrorMode" key value from 0 to 2 and re start your computer.

0: shows all error messages
    1: hides windows error messages
    2: two hides application error messages

That is really not ideal though as you could miss important error messages, such as a game missing a DLL file to function or something like that, so I probably wouldn't do that.

13. techguyone

techguyone Elite Member

Nooo don't kill the server, it's not the same seeing it in faves all blank.

14. InsaneNutter

Don't worry I hadn't planned to! The server appeared to have crashed and corrupted the ut2004.ini, meaning it wouldn't start up again.

I've restored a backup of the .ini and changed the playlist to include the additional maps since the backup was made. If anything is not as it was before please let me know.

techguyone likes this.
  15. InsaneNutter

Also for anyone who's upgraded to Windows 10 and found UT 2004 crashes when loading up, or crashes in full screen here's how to fix it.

ut2004-crash.png

1. Delete your UT2004\System\UT2004.ini
    2. Then load UT 2004 up again, the game will generate a new UT2004.ini then crash.
    3. Now simply open your UT2004.ini and change ReduceMouseLag=True to ReduceMouseLag=False
    4. UT 2004 should then work perfectly as it has done in all previous Windows versions.

Just had a very close game in the Digiex server, I was next to the enemy flag carrier and killed him, then got killed from across the map with their flag! - I could certainly get in to UT 2004 again.

so-close.png

16. techguyone

techguyone Elite Member

Agreed it's not uber graphics but so playable, unreal got it right with UT2k (unlike 4)

17. InsaneNutter

Happy 2016 all Digiex UT server gamers. The servers been a bit up and down recently, the cpu fan had failed causing the server to over heat and shut down. Recently i placed it behind a new firewall which caused some issues for gamers joining from the server list (although direct connections to the IP still worked fine).

Everything should be resolved and back to normal now (Y)

Trebor likes this.
  18. Gorge

Gorge Resident

Hello,

VCTF-FaceClassic : new version

No more HellBender, two Scorpio. Bots can use them to carry the flag. Faster and more fun.

For no-instagib game, no more sniper rifle near Scorpio, but now minigun. (sniper rifle still on top of towers).

(files on FTP)

Gorge

19. InsaneNutter

Hi Gorge,

Thanks for the contribution. I've added the map to the server and redirect.

I've also left the older version in as an option to vote for as the HellBender can be good fun when working as a team i think.

It's nice to see people are still randomly playing in the server :)

20. Gorge

Gorge Resident

Hello,

you are welcome :)

Thank YOU for the vctf server

Gorge