Digiex's UT 2004 Server

Discussion in 'Gaming Hangout' started by InsaneNutter, Jan 27, 2008.

1. techguyone

techguyone Elite Member

I think digiex UT server has finally bitten the dust, I can't see it in faves anymore (or for a while) shame :/

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

It should still be going.

Can you see it on the server list under VCTF? If not can you connect on 82.12.137.103

The IP address changed for the first time in 2-3 years the other month, but other than that it should be there as always :)

3. techguyone

techguyone Elite Member

Fantastic :) I just edited the ip addy to fit the new one, and all is good again :)

4. InsaneNutter

Excellent, it's great to know people still play in the server! it makes it worthwhile keeping it going :)

5. techguyone

techguyone Elite Member

I'm still playing (occasionally) the downloads are now exceedingly slow though, like maps etc, compared to times of old, is there a bandwidth problem ?

6. InsaneNutter

For UT servers you have to setup a "redirect" for fast map downloads, so they are downloaded somewhere else other than the server which is hosting the game. I presume historically to stop the server been lagged out every time someone downloaded a map when internet connections where much slower. The game limits the download speed you can get from the actual server hosting the game, which is why its so slow.

I'll have to check where I told the server to download the maps we have from and ensure its still working ok. Leave it with me and i'll have a look when I can.

7. techguyone

techguyone Elite Member

Okie dokie, thanks for that.

8. InsaneNutter

I've fixed the issue.

I'd forced a secure https connection on the web server hosting the maps for the UT server, which it appears UT didn't like. If i had to guess the game is so old it doesn't support modern SSL certificates. However i've made it so the redirect can now be accessed over an insecure HTTP connection. UT will happy to download maps again at full speed.

Happy fragging!

9. techguyone

techguyone Elite Member

Thank you :)

10. InsaneNutter

11. InsaneNutter

Another year has passed, here are a couple of updates for the UT 2004 server.

Epic turned the master server off earlier this year, however I switched the server over to announce its self to the OpenSpy community run server list the same day this happened.

You can still join via the Digiex server IP address on the first page, however if you update your UT 2004 install to use the OpenSpy server list you will also find the Digiex server in the game server list once more:

ut2004-server-2023.jpg

I have also retired the old Windows VM the server was running in and converted the server over to run in a Docker container. This should allow me to easily move the server elsewhere in the future, if ever required. You should notice no difference playing on the server. If any issues crop up then do let me know.

If any server admins are interested in the Docker I'm using it's the phasecorex/ut2004-server Docker.

Happy fragging!