Experiment Windows 7 on Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Computer and Gadget Help Center' started by Rockman, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

I'd like to try Windows Seven on Windows XP, the OS I'm currently using but is it possible and how?

I do know this PC isn't capable of running the aero function but it's okay, nothing important really.

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Its possible, you need to use something like VM Ware, (the best, however not free) Virtualbox or Microsoft Virtual PC 2007.

Basically with one of the above applications installed your PC can run another OS in a virtual machine. It will be a slower than actually installing it natively on your computer as your computer is basically emulating another PC. You will need a far bit of ram too, Windows 7 needs 1 gig minimum (you want to assign the VM 2gb+ for a good experince) so if your PC hasn't got a lot of ram your experience will not be great.

You would basically install Windows 7 in the VM the exact same as you would on a real PC, so you will need a Windows 7 install CD.

A 90 day trial of Windows 7 Enterprise Edition can be downloaded here: Windows 7 Enterprise| Trial, Evaluation, Test, Deploy

Screenshot below of what you can expect, that's actually Windows XP Mode for Windows 7. But as you can see basically another OS running inside a Virtual Machine on Windows 7.

Attached Files:

3. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

Thanks!

I've downloaded the evaluate copy and Microsoft Virtual PC 2007. I'll be sure to try it now and if I like it, I'll definitely upgrade to Windows Seven!