Games and movies....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cardo69, Jul 10, 2009.

1. cardo69

cardo69 Addict

So, with everybody making movie's based on games, old T.v shows, comics and so on.... I wanna hear from everybody else what games they think would make excellent movie's, or other way around.... I was actually thinking, how cool it would be if they had made a movie based on Gears of War 1 & maybe 2, who would they get to play the part of Dom, Marcus, Hoffman and The Rook in Gears 2??? that could be nice, or a movie based on any 1 of the Need For Speed's, (But i think the recent Fast And Furious reminded me alot of a bad NFS remake with the whole driving thru traffic scene, and the voice of that lady on the navigation)... Then on the other hand, a game based on the new G.I Joe movie, set to be released sometime, (not sure if its released anywhere else, but due to release early aug in S.A) that could be good, if Epic makes the game.... What are your thought's, what game would you like hollywood to either screw up, or make quite good, and also what movie would you like turned into a game???

2. KillerWhiteMan

KillerWhiteMan Burnout Racer

Well a Gears of War movie is already in the works. I think Prototype would make a fantastic movie if it was done right, even if it was a CGI movie. It has all the qualities of a good action movie and I think it would do pretty well. Bioshock would be an interesting one too in my opinion.

3. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

*cough* Metal Gear Solid *cough*

4. cardo69

cardo69 Addict

Sounds like you got a bda cough their hey Dark, i think you need to see a dr about that cough, it could be dangerous.... but i agree, MGS, could make a good movie, but .... they need to have the best of people in their special fx dept, if they gonna make that movie, you cant just have anybody when making something like that hey!

5. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Isn’t the new metal gear game on the PS3 supposed to have hours up on hours of cut scenes anyway? I heard it was like playing an interactive movie.

Even though there already doing it I would have to say Gears of War would be the game I would most like to see a movie based on.

Ive not seen the 4th Fast and Furious movie yet but 1 – 3 do remind me a lot of Need For Speed Underground and some of the other NFS games in the series.

Halo might also make another good movie, although I think the idea for a halo movie was scrapped a few years ago now.

6. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

I don't have a PS3 and its the first Metal Gear Solid game I'd like to see a movie of. Although I don't know about the Praying Mantis fight.

7. KillerWhiteMan

The Metal Gear Solid game for the Gamecube, Twin Snakes, would make a pretty good movie. That was quite a good game in my opinion.

8. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

That would be the first Metal Gear Solid game remade on the Gamecube with better AI and graphics.

9. KillerWhiteMan

You're right, just remembered that. That would make a great movie. The battle between Solid and Liquid is great and could be a great action scene in a movie, if done well of course.

10. cardo69

cardo69 Addict

are reporting that Len Wiseman (Underworld) shall be taking the helm on the Gears of War movie. We reported this rumor in August last year. Chris Morgan (Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift) is also writing a new draft based on Stuart Beattie’s treatment:
    Len Wiseman is suiting up to direct New Line’s “Gears of War,” based on Microsoft and Epic Games’ hit vidgame.
    Chris Morgan is penning a new draft of the actioner that Stuart Beattie originally tackled. Scribe’s credits include Universal’s upcoming “Wanted” and “The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift.”
    Fanboys have been speculating for nearly a year that Wiseman may helm the project; the game was featured in his most recent pic, “Live Free or Die Hard.” But talks with New Line took place only over the last several months.
    Wiseman will develop the story with Morgan.

I think the general consensus, from when Wiseman was previously rumored, was that he is a bad choice of director. Bringing in Chris Morgan, someone that has worked on Fast and the Furious 3 and little that is critically acclaimed, suggests that the creative minds behind this are wanting to create an action-filled no brainer, with the majority of thought going into cool-looking CG action sequences rather than storyline and plot arcs. This news could potentially spell out doom (no pun intended) for the movie, condemning it to the world of low brow over the top action flicks. Gears surely deserves better.

Found this on Gears, rumour was that the production of the movie was stopped due to budget restraint's, but seems like they going ahead with it again, this was also found there....

“We’ve got our script on and a director we’re about to attach. We’ll hopefully make [the Gears of War movie] early next year for the summer of 2010.”

11. cardo69

cardo69 Addict

Found this....

A short while back we thought we had the green light on BioShock’s production - Gore Verbinski was discarding the Pirates 4 project and everything looked set to go. Shortly after Universal put the project on hold because of spiraling budgets of +£160m.
    Now Verbinski tells the LA Times:
    The bottom line is [BioShock] has to shoot out of the States for budget reasons and my schedule may be prohibitive. There’s a great script and a really interesting cast. It really comes down to the financial model now. Big movies are just not being shot in the States. I’m weighing whether I can physically go the U.K. or Australia or one of those other places with a tax rebate for a year-and-a-half.
    Just a couple of weeks after we heard the encouraging Gore Verbinski news we receive a bomb-shell from Universal Studios. It appears that the budget for the underwater feature has been spiraling out of control, reaching values around $160m, and in a move to cut costs (to say $100m) a number of production staff have been let go. Other measures include scouting for cheaper filming locations, e.g. London.
    Verbinski states,
    “We were asked by Universal to move the film outside the U.S. to take advantage of a tax credit. [...] We are evaluating whether this is something we want to do. In the meantime, the film is in a holding pattern.”
    Both the game and movie studios vow that this will not descend into another Halo movie fiasco which has seen production indefinitely halted.

It was previously rumored that Verbinski would be helming the project, but here is the big news we’ve been waiting for - he has given up his directing chair on Pirates of the Caribbean 4 to take on the BioShock project - Gore Verbinski shall be helming the video game adaptation. Verbinski directed all three Pirates of the Caribbean movies as well as the US Ring remake.
    A year since the announcement that a movie would be made it looks like the ball might soon be rolling into the realms of pre-production.
    Speaking at the Take Two investor’s conference call, CEO Strauss Zelnick revealed that the movie adaptation may be released alongside not the second (due for release Fall 2009), but third video game, which puts estimates at the end of 2010, maybe summer 2011.
    “It’’s more likely that [the BioShock movie] would be released coincidentally with BioShock 3″

Variety have confirmed many Hollywood murmurings that a BioShock movie is, now officially, in the works. Universal Studios have picked up the video game adaptation with Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Caribbean) set to direct. It is also thought that Last Samurai and Aviator screenwriter, John Logan, is currently in talks.
    The agreement between movie and game studios has been structured to avoid the collapse that the Halo movie adaptation fell to,
    Take-Two executive chairman Strauss Zelnick said the “state of the art” deal is structured so that “Bioshock” won’t end up in turnaround like “Halo,” which is back with Microsoft.
    “The reason I structured it the way I did is to make sure it gets made,” he emphasized.
    The article then provides some background to the agreement whilst implying that the creative minds involved hope to stay true to the game.
    Take-Two has been approached by a number of producers and studios since the game came out in August but waited until it had swept most of the end-of-year industry awards and racked up impressive holiday sales before working with CAA to package the project. Universal got a first look and made a preemptive bid.
    [...]
    “One of the things we decided early on is that we didn’t want to go through a producer,” he commented. “It’s terribly important to us to have a meaningful influence on how this project is produced. We didn’t want any insulation between us.”
    Verbinski noted that Rapture’s art deco design and visually arresting characters, such as the mechanical Big Daddys who protect genetically mutated girls called Little Sisters, particularly inspired him to see the game as a film.
    Though no release date is even being targeted, Verbinski said he plans to start pre-production as soon as Logan’s script is finished and approved by all involved.
    Helmer has been regularly consulting with Ken Levine, the game’s creative director, though it’s not yet clear if the game developer will have a formal role in the film.
    All in all, the signs look very good for an exciting and faithful video game adaptation, especially with the talents of Verbinski and Logan on board.

12. KillerWhiteMan

I have started playing Metal Gear Solid 4 recently and I think that would make a great movie. It could even be better than the first Metal Gear Solid as a movie.

13. Rustwick

Rustwick Resident

It's an unwritten rule that video games, books and anything else that can be turned into a film (and vice versa) turn out to be quite bad. There could be exceptions but I can't think of any at the moment. A Gears of War film could be quite fun but I'd still prefer it if they decided not to do it.

14. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

The Tomb Raider movie wasn’t that bad from what I remember of it, don’t really remember the second one that could have been!

Also the Resident Evil movies were pretty good too, especially the first one.

15. KillerWhiteMan

I wish they would have made a Resident Evil game that was like the first game inside the mansion. That would have been a great movie.

16. cardo69

cardo69 Addict

The Resident Evil movies were excellent, it looks like their is that exception to the rule of bad movies based on games, they really studied the game before making that movie!

17. BonezOz

BonezOz Addict

Sydney, Australia, the greatest city in the World
    Where to begin?

Doom needs to be remade, the movie was crap and they need to get someone like Quentin Tarantino or Robert Zemekis to direct it.

Next, they could do an excellent job making a Elder Scrolls movie, or a Fallout movie.

18. KillerWhiteMan

An Elder Scrolls or Fallout movie would not be a good idea in my opinion. The games just seem too open-ended to make movies out of. Too many options and quests in the games to tie down into one linear movie.