Gaming build under $500

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Icharus_Falling, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Icharus_Falling

Icharus_Falling Resident

A couple weeks ago I built a new PC, replacing the one I built in 2006. I managed to find a powerful and expandable build for around $450. It uses on-board video (which, up until recently was usually shit), but I'll wait to buy a graphics card until the on-board isn't good enough. With this setup, I can play MW2 on medium (with some high) settings at 1680x1050 with no lag or audio breakup, havent actually measured frame rates though. Anything made before MW2 (examples: Arkham Asylum, Borderlands [best game i've played in years, btw], S.T.A.L.K.E.R., etc.) all default at maximum settings and run flawlessly. Also, wait/load times are practically non-existent. I thought that was pretty impressive with on-board video.

The processor is an Athlon triple-core, 2.9 ghz, but can be safely overclocked to 3.7 ghz, and can have the 4th core unlocked with certain chipsets (not the chipset i went for). apparently its a gamble on unlocking the 4th core with any stability though, there are supposedly a serial number range that run very stable with the 4th core unlocked, but you would have to rely on luck to get one. Some poeple claim that this chip is recognized as a Phenom X4 945 without any BIOS manipulation, but that might not mean its performing any faster.

Also, i detest all thing Intel or Nvidia, which keeps the price down compared to AMD and ATI. People post benchmarks comparing the respective processor and graphics brands, but from personal and professional experience with both, ill take AMD and ATI any day and come out with overall better performance. =P

I bought it all from Newegg.com aside from the power supply, which i found on sale at an office-supply store in town.

I think most of the links will have different prices, newegg prices change almost hourly, but can give specs and reviews if interested. I couldnt find the links for the HD or PSU (bought in different transactions), but those specs dont change much anyway.

GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail - $104.99 with $15.00 mail-in rebate

AMD Athlon II X3 435 Rana 2.9GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor Model ADX435WFGIBOX - Retail - $74.99

A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1600GB2G9-AG - Retail - $98.99

Rosewill Wind Knight Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with pre-installed 2x 120mm Fan, Support up to 1x 140mm top fan, ... - Retail - $44.99 with $10.00 mail-in rebate

Sony Optiarc DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model AD-7241S-0B LightScribe Support - OEM - $26.99

Western Digital Sata II 3.0 GB/sec 500GB - $49.99

Antec 500W 80+ PSU - $49.99

Total: $450.93 ($425.93 after rebates)

I ordered other stuff from newegg in the same transaction as most of the components, stuff that didnt go towards the new PC, and my shipping in the end was $25.64. only a very small part of that was from the build, but the invoice doesnt itemize the shipping.

Obviously, if you can re-use your case/PSU/HD/Optical drive, you can get a new build much cheaper.

2. paardje

paardje Addict

Could you post a photo of it? Very curious! (and maybe a test vid?) Looks like some sweet setup you got there!

3. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

I must have some how missed this when you posted it, looks a very nice build especially for what you spent on it. You should be able to upgrade with no problems in the future if required as you have DDR3 and the latest AM3 socket processor.

The on-board Radeon 3300 doesn't look bad at all, I would say your future proofed there for a couple of years as far as PC's go anyway (Y)