Gateway Emunand Offline Update for Nintendo 3DS / 3DS XL and 2DS [9.5.0-23 EUR / USA]

Discussion in 'Nintendo 3DS Guides' started by InsaneNutter, Apr 18, 2015.

1. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

If you are reading this then you probably want to update your emunand on your Gateway flashcard, however have realised you can't because Gateway only currently supports up to firmware 9.5.0-23 and the latest firmware is now 9.6, resulting in a black screen and broken emunand after updating to 9.6.

However not all is lost, you can safely update your Emunand offline, this tutorial will show you how to update your 3DS's emunand to 9.5.0-23 EUR or USA. Please note this will not work on the "New Nintendo 3DS" Just the 2DS / 3DS and 3DS XL. If you can find the 9.5.0-23 firmware for the New Nintendo 3DS then you can follow this tutorial, however i dont have the firmware for the New 3DS unfortunately.

This tutorial presume you have already set-up your Emunand, if not you first need to follow the tutorial here: Nintendo 3DS Homebrew / Rom Hack For Any Firmware Up To 9.2 with Gateway Flashcard.

To follow this tutorial you will need to download:

Updating your Gateway Emunand to 9.5.0-23 EUR / USA:

1. You need to copy the latest Launcher.dat from the Gateway Ultra 3.1.1 Public Beta to the root of your 3DS's SD card, as shown below.
    2. After you then need to download the Nintendo 3DS 9.5.0-23 firmware which corresponds to your region, again this need's to be unzipped so all the .cia files are in a folder on the SD card, as seen below:
    3ds-gateway-offline-emunand-update-1.png

Inside your firmware folder on the SD card you should have many .cia files:

3ds-gateway-offline-emunand-update-2.png

Now if you don't already on the Micro SD card inside your Gateway you need to copy the BigBlueMenu.3ds rom:

3ds-gateway-offline-emunand-update-3.png

You are now ready to update your emunand, power on the 3DS with the Gateway flashcard in and launch the exploit to boot in to emunand.

Once emunand had loaded press the "Select" button on the 3DS and load the Title Manager (BigBlueMenu.3ds) that we just copied to the Micro SD card inside your Gateway:

3ds-gateway-offline-emunand-update-4.png

Now click right on the d-pad once to reach the SDMC tab, then select the folder with your firmware and press "A" to open it:

3ds-gateway-offline-emunand-update-5.png

You should now see all the .cia files in the folder:

3ds-gateway-offline-emunand-update-6.png

Press down on the d-pad until you highlight one of the files in the folder:

3ds-gateway-offline-emunand-update-7.png

Press L+R+A in that order to install all of the cia files which are in the folder:

3ds-gateway-offline-emunand-update-8.png

This will take some time:

3ds-gateway-offline-emunand-update-9.png

When the install has finished power off the 3DS, then switch it on again and load your Emunand:

3ds-gateway-offline-emunand-update-10.png

Once in emunand if you load the system settings you should see that you are on firmware 9.5.0-23:

3ds-gateway-offline-emunand-update-11.png

Congratulations your emunand is as up to date as it can possibly be at this point, you will have no problems playing any game released to date.

cer and Rick like this.
  2. cer

cer Member

worked perfectly thanks

3. jmonium

jmonium New Member

i wanted to personally thank you exactly what i needed thank you very much! =)

4. Can Kevin

Can Kevin New Member

how do i unzip the files of cia

5. Can Kevin

Can Kevin New Member

do i really need that gateway flash card,

and would it work on a 2ds

6. InsaneNutter

Yes it works on a 2DS, providing you are on system firmware 9.2 or below. However if you are on a 2DS you can just update your Emunand from Nintendo's servers without having to mess about.

It's only the New 3DS XL which can't update past 9.5 on its Emunand at the moment.

As for the Gateway flashcard free custom firmware solutions now exist, such as RxTools. However the Gateway flashcard still has its uses though as it has a cheat engine built in which currently no other 3DS hack offers.

7. Abel Borbor

Abel Borbor New Member

i think this bricked my 3ds

8. InsaneNutter

What did you actually do? if your updating your Emunand that has nothing to do with your actual 3DS's systemnand so you can't brick it.