General E3 2009 thread

Discussion in 'Gaming Hangout' started by Assassin, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Assassin

Assassin Addict

Well, E3 has started.
    What does everyone think about it? So far I haven't really seen that much I like yet.
    There's a new Monkey Island coming, which is great. Also a remake of the first one which is good for getting the game some attention but personally I don't like the graphics..

[​IMG]

Then there's Left 4 Dead 2, which is a ridiculous announcement. First of all because it was supposed to be added to the first L4D for free, second because the first game has only been out for 6 months while people have been waiting for Half-Life 2: Episode 3 for a long time now. Especially considering they're episodes you'd say they'd release a new episode more quickly. But no, L4D2..

Then there's Nintendo.. They did announce some new games, but it's just not enough. Wii Fit Plus? Motion Plus? The heart rate sensor? Where are the good third party games? There aren't any, because games that are released for PC, Xbox360 and PS3 can not be played on the Wii. If developers want to release a game on the Wii as well, they would have to make a different game out of it. I think Nintendo should really rethink their strategy, because the Wii is becoming more of a fitness tool than a gaming platform.

I did really like The Last Guardian for PS3. Would be a reason for me to get a PS3. Also God of War 3. Other than that, there's nothing much that I like. Ofcourse there's Microsoft's Natal and Sony's Wiimote thing, but they should stop all that already. Nobody wants that. It's a cool gimmick to play with for an hour to see how it works, but not to play games with.

2. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

When I heard there was going to be a L4D2, I was PISSED!!! I mean WOW, i'm waiting for updates to come out for TF2 on 360 and for HL3 or HL2 EP3 (Which is more likely) and they say this? They need to atleast fix things they made first (Server cheating in TF2 along with Ice cream hopping, which allows one to make their head go through the ceiling and place teleporters to get out of the map).

Then they talk about all of this inovative BS...I don't care about this. This is the biggest waste of money that Sony and 360 are doing. Wii had this from the beginning lets keep it that way, if I wanted this BS I would have bought a damn Wii.

3. Stealth Geek

Stealth Geek Your Dad

I must be a nobody then, because I definitely want that.

4. Assassin

Assassin Addict

Why would you want that and if you do, why didn't you buy a Wii?

5. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

6. Trebor

Trebor Dolphin Fan

How can you compare the two? One has you waggling a remote around, the other lets you play a game with your entire body. I've lost count the amount of times I lean left or right when playing racing games. Now people will no longer think it's weird as the game will respond to my movements :D. I also like that demo that Peter Monelux showed. Obviously things like this will have design restrictions but what they showed was brilliant for just a few months work. A character that can respond to your emotions, actions and responses in real time, imagine the game implications. If a game sees you're frustrated at a certain part of a game it could reduce the games difficulty. It may notice you getting bored and try and show other things you could do in the game. Just have to add that Golden Sun DS has been announced. I know some people here who've played the game before and I myself can't wait for it, 2010 the trailer said :D

7. Stealth Geek

Stealth Geek Your Dad

I didn't pay $3000+ in A/V equipment to play games in SD and look like games from the year 2000. Also, the games on it are...I'll just say the games don't appeal to me to avoid making some people mad who enjoy the games on it. :P Besides, even with that new Wii attachment announced, it doesn't come close to the capabilities of what Natal will be able to do. Voice and facial recognition...the Wii can't and never will be able to do that. This type of technology and control is the future of gaming, and I can't wait till it becomes a reality for me to experience. The possibilities are just mind blowing if you really think about it.

8. KillerWhiteMan

KillerWhiteMan Burnout Racer

I was blown away by Microsoft's press conference. I think they have more to offer their consumers than what Sony and Nintendo have. I mean what with the Natal Project, Microsoft will probably take the motion sensor market away from Nintendo. And with all of the great exclusives coming to the 360, I think that Microsoft will begin to pull away from Sony and Nintendo. Here's to hoping *raises mug*, cheers!

9. MunkyMagikUK

MunkyMagikUK Digiex Blogger

I'll believe it when i see it tbh. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of standing there with a gun peripheral playing Halo 3, but I'm unconvinced it'll be what everyone is making it out to be at the moment. Just me being the sceptic I am.

10. Assassin

Assassin Addict

I was thinking how playing a shooter still wouldn't be possible like this. Same for the Sony thing. They demonstrated FPS, yes, but did you notice they never turned around? This isn't possible because you'd have to be facing the screen to see what you're doing. So you'll still only be able to see the action from one way.

11. InsaneNutter

I believe it will work with the right sort of games, I can’t see someone standing there playing Halo with it to be honest, however I do see it working great with party games like a 360 equivalent of Wii sports. Some games are supposed to be played with a Joypad (or mouse / keyboard)

I don’t see it adding a lot to FPS games tbh but party games and stuff like demo where you could talk to that kid look to be the start of something really big, im sure we will see some unique ways of howit can be integrated in to games.

12. MunkyMagikUK

MunkyMagikUK Digiex Blogger

You say that, but what's the point in it if its just for party games? We already have that, in a sense, with things like the iToy, those Buzz quizzes, and the Wii. If they're really serious about all this, I think they need to make it work for every game. They want to eradicate the controller, then do so, but make all games work. I'm sceptical because things like the iToy have never really worked well in the past, it was a novelty that quickly wore off. I fear this could be the same. I could easily see it working for an FPS, but again, you'd need some sort of controller to fire. I just think it will be nice at first, but it'll soon wear off and people won't be bothered by it at all.

13. InsaneNutter

The controller will never go in my opinion, not everyone wants to be jumping about all the time playing games. Sometimes it’s nice to just sit down, relax and chainsaw a few people in Gears. I can’t honestly say I have enough space in my room for people to be jumping about when playing games anyway.

It’s just another way for people to interact with the console, maybe saying its just for party games wasn’t the best way to word it, the Wii has proved there’s a big enough market for this kind of stuff. If my Mum wants a Wii and my uncle has one that says something :O

I personally don’t see myself giving up the controller for it, I don’t think that’s ever the intention (at least I hope not) but I do think it has great potential and it will certainly make the 360 appeal to more than just general gamers.

14. Assassin

Assassin Addict

What I don't get is why Microsoft in their presentation was acting like the controller is something we need to get rid of because it's too difficult. I think that's ridiculous! You wouldn't play a guitar with one string instead because it's easier. Some things just need to be learned and if you think a controller is too difficult than maybe gaming isn't your thing.

15. Safinn

Safinn Addict

As alot have said, I agree tha the controller will and should stay! Unless they somehow do something like Spy Kids 3D - Game Over.

16. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

They keep saying its so revolutionary but its almost the opposite. It almost the same as the interactive camera that came out for PS2, just a little more in depth. You can get a bit more interactive with some games but it will totally be incompatible with other. It doesn't go as interactive as it should. As for some games it won't be able to do what you can do in others. As for FPS games turning left or right is most likely impossible. As for skateboarding games...its possible but you won't be able to get it accurate as it would need to be. So it might be fun for a bit until your trying to do a certain trick at which point would be near impossible.