Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2

Discussion in 'Gaming Hangout' started by InsaneNutter, Aug 4, 2008.

1. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Has anyone purchased this yet? I’ve been playing it on and off for the last few days and found it’s quite addictive. It gets my vote for the best Xbox Live Arcade game released in a long time. (Y)

[​IMG]

The gameplay 6 modes in the game are:
    • Deadline: The player is challenged to score as many points as possible in three minutes with unlimited lives.
    • King: The player has only one life and no bombs. Safety zones appear randomly on the playfield. Enemies cannot enter these zones, and the player can only fire and cannot collect Geoms while inside a zone. The zone shrinks and disappears a short time after it is entered, forcing the player to move from zone to zone.
    • Evolved: Similar in style to Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved, the player is challenged to score as many points as possible with no time limit. The player earns extra lives and bombs at set intervals.
    • Pacifism: The player has only one life and cannot shoot. The player must fly through gates to destroy nearby enemies, and earns extra bonus points by flying through gates in rapid succession.
    • Waves: The player has one life and must avoid and destroy waves of rockets that fly horizontally and vertically from the edges of the playfield. (This mode was first introduced in Project Gotham Racing 4.)
    • Sequence: This mode consists of twenty levels, each with a predetermined pattern of enemies. The player has thirty seconds to destroy all of the enemies in each level. If the player loses a life, they are taken directly to the next level, but the game ends if the player loses all of their lives.
    I don’t know how good my score’s are but if anyone wants to add me to compare scores feel free, It’s good to have a target to beat and some friendly competition. I think my best score so far is around 31million in Sequence.

2. Trebor

Trebor Dolphin Fan

Bought this game last Saturday and have to agree with Insanenutter. It's a really fun game and gets addictive after a while when you get the "just one more go" affliction :D. Multiplayer is even more insane as telling the difference between friend and foe is hard and sometimes you lose sight of where your ship is. The best mode for me is sequence as it's challenging and will help improve your playing skills as you get to memorize each sequence and the best way to beat it without dying.

3. Fooruman

Fooruman Member

I absolutely loved the first one, and I'm sure I'll love this one even more. I'll be buying it in about two weeks when I once again have access to my Xbox!

4. Rustwick

Rustwick Resident

How did you lose access in the first place? This is not acceptable good sir!

The new game modes that InsaneNutter listed above are all fantastic but it becomes a little hectic if you play it with 3 or more people (for me at least) because you tend to lose where you are and/or confuse yourself with other players. Other than that I think that it will be worth the purchase - I'm yet to buy it for my own account as well.

5. InsaneNutter

I have to agree with Rustwick I find my self getting lost/confused quite a bit in multiplayer, I also find it annoying I can go for ages without loosing a life then the first time I die all the extra life’s have been used up by other members of the team.

You can all be against each other in multiplayer but I find it’s more fun working as a team, especially when you have a full house and everyone is a different skill level, its fun making a mad dash across the level to save a team mate ;)

I would say multiplayer is good but could be improved, it would be nice to get the bomb thing that clears the screen. Single player is fantastic, I can’t really fault that. I still think this is the best game released on the arcade this year.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2008
  6. Fooruman

Fooruman Member

I am doing an internship over the summer, and quite regrettably I do not have my Xbox 360 with me. :(

The game sounds and looks amazing, though.

7. InsaneNutter

I found this guide on how to get the Smile Achievement, that looks crazy hard... I can’t even get to stage 20 so it’s going to be a while before I get that... if I ever do!

The Smile
    [​IMG]

8. DeadmanAndrew

DeadmanAndrew Member

The game makes my eyes go funny when playing with 3 people, but I will buy this when I get my 360.

9. Gekkeloko

Gekkeloko Member

Awesome game.
    Nuff Said.

10. Elricmon

Elricmon Elite Member

I got the demo right here at Digiex. It looks like a great game. It's very addictive too:D

11. InsaneNutter

If you buy the game and have live add me, i think i'm currently top of my friends list for all 6 score boards... need some scores to beat! ;)

12. Elricmon

Elricmon Elite Member

sorry, I don't have Live. I'll have some day, though:P

13. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

Yeah, your scores are insanely high, I can't even put a dent in it.

14. InsaneNutter

I can't even beat my own score anymore! I need to play it every day for a week like i did when it first came out ;)

15. jhoff80

jhoff80 New Member

Yeah, this game was like crack when it first came out, but now my scores (though nowhere near yours it seems) are too high for me to beat.