Grandfarther in need of help.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Willem, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Willem

Willem New Member

Good evening. I am a 68 year old grand farther with a bunch of grandsons and three Xbox360's in the family.
    One of the boxes arrived without a hard drive and I need to get it working. The paly station is a Xbox360S and the hard drive I am trying to install is a 500GB Western Digital BPVT. I have formatted it to exFAT on my laptop but the play station does not recognised the drive. Any advice will be appreciated.

2. exFAT is different than FatX (format used by Xbox 360). I never did this, but you will need to use HddHackr (https://digiex.net/threads/hack-a-2...-work-in-the-xbox-360-and-xbox-360-slim.3152/). Then you should be able to format HDD in xbox. The problem is, unhacked xbox 360 does not recognise internal drives (not external drives!) without security sector, so you will need to "hack" it using HddHackr.
    I never did this, so i cannot help you :(. I have RGH (Hacked xbox, which plays games from HDD and does some more things.) and RGH accepts any working internal drive.
    If you don't know, how to make it work, you can use external drive box (something like this: https://www.startech.com/ca/HDD/Enc...-Hard-Drive-Enclosure-UASP-Support~S2510BMU33)

3. Willem

Willem New Member

Good afternoon

Thank you very much for your help so far.

I have started hacking the drive with the link you provided but ran up to a problem where I need to run a program to apply the hack.
    This require the computer to boot from the ATA drive and none of my two laptops have the protocol in the BIOS. Only SATA protocol available.

Any suggestions. I have been surfing the net but cannot find a solution to boot from ATA drive.

Regards

4. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

You could just get a USB SATA Hard Drive Adapter / Enclosure that will turn your 2.5" SATA drive in to a USB drive.

The Xbox 360 can support up to a 2TB USB drive. Hacking a hard drive to work inside the Xbox 360 used to be the only way to use your own hard drive on the console, however USB hard drives have been supported for a couple of years now. The only thing you can't do with just a USB hard drive connected to the Xbox 360 is play backwards compatible original Xbox games, all Xbox 360 games will work fine however.

This is quite a new feature so ensure the Xbox 360 is on a version of the dashboard that supports this, such as Xbox 360 Dashboard / System Update 2.0.17502.0

Then you can follow this guide: How to configure a USB memory stick to be used as Xbox 360 storage although it was created with USB memory sticks in mind (that used to be all that was supported) usb hard drives also work fine.

5. I recommend you to purchase RGH, because it supports:
    - Playing all games from HDD
    - Emulating old game consoles (you can play old games)
    - Running linux
    - And more stuff