Hack a 250gb, 320gb or 500gb Sata harddrive to work in the Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Slim

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Guides' started by InsaneNutter, Dec 8, 2009.

1. leenny

leenny Member

Barbie's Pink Fabulous Fashion Show, hmm, I don't have a copy, can I borrow your copy. :)
    Seriously,Destroy all humans, Counter strike, Halo etc. None of them work.
    Does flashing the drive to play burnt games affect this mod??? My drive is flashed to Lt3.0.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  2. masternoxx

masternoxx Well-Known Member

So I *thought* what happened is I had the same problem as you when trying to play Morr0wind, and then copied that mentioned file over from previous hard drive, and then it played. However I don't remember too well and if nutter is right then you don't need that. And he prob is

did you check after you wrote partition 2 that the files were on there?
    this video by Mr. Mario shows him doing it.

also you could download fatXplorer and mount the drive and use format tools and re-write your partition 2
    partition 2 should be 262,144 KB unzipped
    make sure you don't accidentally format the wrong hard drive! LOL.. that would suck...

I don't think flashing your DVD drive would matter at all but maybe someone else can verify that

well now I have RGH but I'm going to format a drive today for my "legit" (non-rgh) console, that I use to connect to live, I will not copy that file over and will let you know if it works or not.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  3. masternoxx

Log of my HDD install and OG xbox game test:
    do da hddhackr
    disable retardotimer
    write firmware (320gb this time! almost wrote 500gb.. whew close one)
    disconnect from desktop SATA
    (note I do it a different way where I disconnect after write firmware and instead create partitions in fatXplorer by go to format tools just leave defaults and format the CORRECT drive which is always listed as USB on my laptop)
    tried play morr0wind "the game couldn't start, try downloading the game again" LOL cuz I am playing it from disc!
    tried to dl profile
    update is required
    dl'ing update
    by the way at about 90% of the update is when it checks your DVD rom... just something I noticed when RGH'ing
    play morr0wind, "game couldn't start" again.
    download profile
    sign into live
    play morr0wind, "game couldn't start" again.
    power off
    remove hdd
    open drive with fatXplorer content view
    add content
    added folder FFFE07D2 aka "Xbox Back Compat Title Update"
    play morrowind, "game couldn't start"
    sigh, remove drive, plug into laptop again,
    fatXplorer toolkit view > partition tools (getting warm here)
    under backwards compatibility partition clicked restore > entire partition (aha)
    select partition2.bin, written to disk
    start morr0wind AND WORKING

so what I forgot to do was restore partition 2
    I had thought when I formatted it that it would be data would be written also but it was not (after all it is property of MS)

so prob all you have to do is restore partition 2
    however you're recieving a different error have you tried googling that error.
    you say "finally" detected your drive with Xplorer360 this leads me to believe that you have bad connection and possibly corrupt data transfer. I had that problem with a bad hard drive.
    are you using MS official transfer cable or how are you connecting to write the partition 2
    What is the hard drive is it new or used hope you did not buy a half broken used one that are all over eBay.

"Xbox back compat title update" is prob not needed but no one has answered me to what it is
    the only way I can know for sure is to delete it and see if morr0wind has the error you described
    Don't feel like doing that ATM since it is now working

Did this with a WD3200BEKT. Bought new from amazon but was obviously not new however repacked and sealed immaculately date says 2012 LOL. Wow fraud. But it is working well zero clicking or noises. Smooth and quiet and fast
    Sounds a lot better than any 500gb drives I have used so far but time will tell

I have suspicion that hddhackr does not flash the 500gb one perfectly leading to head park noises... or perhaps the hddss.bin for the 500gb is not dumped perfectly

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  4. leenny

leenny Member

Thanks for the video, the files shown in the video are in partition 2 on my drive, but still no joy. I saw your post after i posted this. Update, I do use a MS official transfer cable, I did the restore previously, so I can see the files in partition 2, the hdd is off my old laptop.Will work on it in a couple days when I am off work. Any chance you could list the files on the partition, pics would be great. Thanks . Stay safe.
    Update my dashboard is 2.0.14719.0 could this be my problem???

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  5. leenny

leenny Member

Success, After watching another video on how to make a drive, it occured to me that I may need an update, I checked the download section and found "
    Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility Update - November 2007"
    I loaded this as per instructions, all is well, I can play all my xbox games. Thanks for your help. I hope this can help someone else...:D:)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  6. masternoxx

I actually thought of suggesting that but isn't the partition2.bin file already updated with that, because I took my partition 2 off my drive and it is the same size and everything as the one I got off the net. It is 262,144 bytes and the date (on the net one) is 7/21/2010 2:18 am. I guess you got an earlier version somehow? Anyway glad you fixed it! =)