Hack a 250gb, 320gb or 500gb Sata harddrive to work in the Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Slim

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Guides' started by InsaneNutter, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Deam

Deam New Member

Edit check bolt first
    Hi, thanks for the great thread, i ordered a hard drive from the list:
    WD5000LPCX
    Followed the steps very serious.
    Booted hddhackr, flashed firmware and created backup undo.bin.
    According hddhackr everything was successful (but it does not asked to do partition).
    After putting the hd in, the hard drive was listed as "unformatted", i found a post here in the forum OP mentioned it would be worth trying to create partition 0/2/3. i tried that got error DIVIDE ERROR MEMORY ALLOCATION ERROR "CANNOT LOAD COMMAND, ,system halted" and the drive wasnt listed anymore on the xbox.

So i decided to restore the firmware with my created undo.bin file, but it failed.
    Then i tried to flash the firmware again, some warning appeared "its successfully flashed but some sectors 16? arent correct" or similar like that, hddhackr fixed it then.
    I tried again and it worked, but on the xbox it shows 45gb(not 450) from 461gb available but nothing is on it (below is a sentence "the remaining space reserved for the system") .

How can i get the full 500gb(461gb) ? May i can format it with the xbox (my serialnumber is asked there) ?
    Please help, thanks.

Just want to say that, formatting my hard drive with the xbox 360 solved the problem and i have the full ~470gb now.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  2. alex548

alex548 New Member

Hey guys, hopefully someone here can tell me what I'm doing wrong because I can't get backwards compatible games to play on flashed WD Scorpio Blue WD3200BPVT.
    About a year back I followed the guides here and successfully flashed and upgraded hard drives on three xbox 360 consoles. I'm using the exact same PC and the same USB drive with hddhackr as last time, but I can't get it working anymore.

Here's what I do:
    Boot hddhackr, flash 320GB bin to WD3200PBVT hard drive, shut down PC.
    Boot hddhackr again, WD3200PBVT drive is now showing up as a Seagate drive. Can't remember specific model. I create partitions 0/2/3 and shut down PC again.
    Boot xbox 360 slim with flashed hdd installed and format the hdd.
    Boot PC again and use Xplorer 360 Extreme to restore partition 2.
    Put hdd back into xbox 360 and try booting DOA 3 and Doom 3, but both give same error saying it cannot play this title.

I've tried both a downloaded partition 2 as well as one I personally backed up from an old 20GB xbox hdd.
    I don't think I missed a step, but still doesn't work. Console is on the latest dashboard version. I bought two identical 320GB hdd's and neither will play backwards compatible games.
    Back when I did it a bout a year ago I was using 250GB hard drives and they worked just fine. Those showed up as Hitachi's after flashing. This time I can't get these 320GB drives working. :(

Did I miss a step? Any tips to offer?

3. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

If you connect to Xbox Live and try play an Xbox Classic game is their any update available to download for the emulator?

4. alex548

alex548 New Member

Thanks for the reply. Problem has been solved thanks to you mentioning connecting to xbox live.
    I had created a local test profile and couldn't get it to play, but after seeing your comment I downloaded my xbox live profile onto the console, then signed in and both DOA 3 and Doom 3 loaded just fine.

That's the step I missed. Thanks for your help. :)

InsaneNutter likes this.