Hack a 250gb, 320gb or 500gb Sata harddrive to work in the Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Slim

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Guides' started by InsaneNutter, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Deam

Deam New Member

Edit check bolt first
    Hi, thanks for the great thread, i ordered a hard drive from the list:
    WD5000LPCX
    Followed the steps very serious.
    Booted hddhackr, flashed firmware and created backup undo.bin.
    According hddhackr everything was successful (but it does not asked to do partition).
    After putting the hd in, the hard drive was listed as "unformatted", i found a post here in the forum OP mentioned it would be worth trying to create partition 0/2/3. i tried that got error DIVIDE ERROR MEMORY ALLOCATION ERROR "CANNOT LOAD COMMAND, ,system halted" and the drive wasnt listed anymore on the xbox.

So i decided to restore the firmware with my created undo.bin file, but it failed.
    Then i tried to flash the firmware again, some warning appeared "its successfully flashed but some sectors 16? arent correct" or similar like that, hddhackr fixed it then.
    I tried again and it worked, but on the xbox it shows 45gb(not 450) from 461gb available but nothing is on it (below is a sentence "the remaining space reserved for the system") .

How can i get the full 500gb(461gb) ? May i can format it with the xbox (my serialnumber is asked there) ?
    Please help, thanks.

Just want to say that, formatting my hard drive with the xbox 360 solved the problem and i have the full ~470gb now.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  2. alex548

alex548 New Member

Hey guys, hopefully someone here can tell me what I'm doing wrong because I can't get backwards compatible games to play on flashed WD Scorpio Blue WD3200BPVT.
    About a year back I followed the guides here and successfully flashed and upgraded hard drives on three xbox 360 consoles. I'm using the exact same PC and the same USB drive with hddhackr as last time, but I can't get it working anymore.

Here's what I do:
    Boot hddhackr, flash 320GB bin to WD3200PBVT hard drive, shut down PC.
    Boot hddhackr again, WD3200PBVT drive is now showing up as a Seagate drive. Can't remember specific model. I create partitions 0/2/3 and shut down PC again.
    Boot xbox 360 slim with flashed hdd installed and format the hdd.
    Boot PC again and use Xplorer 360 Extreme to restore partition 2.
    Put hdd back into xbox 360 and try booting DOA 3 and Doom 3, but both give same error saying it cannot play this title.

I've tried both a downloaded partition 2 as well as one I personally backed up from an old 20GB xbox hdd.
    I don't think I missed a step, but still doesn't work. Console is on the latest dashboard version. I bought two identical 320GB hdd's and neither will play backwards compatible games.
    Back when I did it a bout a year ago I was using 250GB hard drives and they worked just fine. Those showed up as Hitachi's after flashing. This time I can't get these 320GB drives working. :(

Did I miss a step? Any tips to offer?

3. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

If you connect to Xbox Live and try play an Xbox Classic game is their any update available to download for the emulator?

4. alex548

alex548 New Member

Thanks for the reply. Problem has been solved thanks to you mentioning connecting to xbox live.
    I had created a local test profile and couldn't get it to play, but after seeing your comment I downloaded my xbox live profile onto the console, then signed in and both DOA 3 and Doom 3 loaded just fine.

That's the step I missed. Thanks for your help. :)

InsaneNutter likes this.
  5. DEKO - One for All

DEKO - One for All Member

Goodnight. I bought a parallel internal hard drive without being original for Xbox 360 S / E and it didn't work on my slim model. I decided to research on this subject of internal HD and that was when I saw this forum, I read the tutorial on how to make the HD of the WD brand work and then I decided to open the case of the internal HD to see if it was one of those compatible WD models. Fortunately, the HD model I have is one:
    WD5000LPVX - 08V0TT5
    Manufacturing data: January 14, 2018
    Will anyone have the undo.bin file to change this model? I look forward to an answer.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  6. InsaneNutter

So you have already hacked the hard drive to work on the Xbox 360 and lost the undo file?

7. DEKO - One for All

Oh no. I bought this hard drive with case for Xbox 360 S / E last month at an e-commerce store. Then in May the HD arrived and put it on the console and i went to the storage settings and nothing to be recognized and then I thought I needed to format it in FAT32 or EXFAT, I put it in the PC and formatted it in FAT32 nothing to work on the XB360S and EXFAT too it didn't work, so I researched and saw that there is a file system for the Xbox Classic, but I didn't risk changing to that file system. In short, I don't know what to do to make the console read the HD Western Digital.
    PS: I noticed that the HDDHackr program stopped at version 1.40 build 2013-03-03. Is there a possibility that it will be updated and improved with new features?
    The product I bought was this >

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  8. InsaneNutter

You can try follow the tutorial on the first page of this thread as you have a Western Digital hard drive, no guarantees it will work however. Hddhackr will probably not get any more updates now as its been such a long time since it was last updated. You can also use up to 2TB usb hard drives with the Xbox 360 now if thats of any help.

9. DEKO - One for All

All right, I'll try to solve this problem of reading the HD on the XB360S at another time, although the formatting tested by Gparted Live has not worked, so I'll see if i test later on Windows. Is there a standard file system on XB360 like the XBC, else FAT32, EXFAT already serves or can be another type of file system? Oh, can I also undo the HD modification that the "manufacturer" did, even without having the file the undo.bin of this model I have using the version recent of HDDHackr?

10. InsaneNutter

You need a security sector on the hard drive for the 360 to recognise it as genuine, there for allowing you to use it. This is what Hddhackr basically modifies. Using Gparted will do nothing to benefit the use of the hard drive in an Xbox 360. The file system used is FATX.

11. DEKO - One for All

Okay. So as Gparted does not solve anything, even formatting with these two file systems that I mentioned and from what I researched, Windows does not support it, much less there are conditions to format FATX natively, they say on the site: https: //free60project.github .io / wiki / that Linux has some features for it, but I don't think it will help me much. Now to format in FATX do I need which specific programs? Regarding the Security Sector, it must be intact, as the PC correctly displays the amount of 465GB of free storage of the 2.5 "500GB Hard Drive. PS: Thank you very much for your dedication and patience in answering my questions. :) (Y)

12. InsaneNutter

The Xbox 360 will format the required partition in Fatx, so you don't need to worry about that. You do however need to flash the security sector with Hddhackr so the Xbox 360 can see and use the hard drive.

13. DEKO - One for All

Alright then, I'll see if I can review the Security Sector with HDDHackr and I will return with something positive about the dilemma of my hard drive already hacked by the online store.
    Thanks again for the guidance.

14. CitrusBab

CitrusBab New Member

Skimmed through this tutorial a year ago and downloaded the instructions as well as the required resources for a 500gb drive.
    tested this method finally a couple of weeks ago with an old Hitachi 500gb HDD as well as a brand new WD Blue 500gb SSD (WDS500G2B0A).
    I followed the instructions in an attempt to get the SSD to hack but to no avail.
    The Hitachi HDD worked like a charm using the exact same method and now has my whole legit 360 library on it.
    I'm guessing there's a reason the SSD doesn't work.
    I'm not expecting a new method of hacking any time soon, but what I'd like to know is why the SSD did not take.

15. InsaneNutter

The tool doesn't support SSD's, the same as it doesn't support hard drives from other manufacturers such as Samsung for example.

CitrusBab likes this.
  16. CitrusBab

CitrusBab New Member

Cheers for the reply.
    What makes certain WD Blue HDDs "special" in this case?

17. InsaneNutter

I didn't develop Hddhackr, however I can only speculate at the time Western Digital hard drives were both cheap and reliable.

18. protivakid

protivakid New Member

Is this still needed? Granted my console is a JTAG however I just tossed in a 1TB HDD into the casing of an original 20GB drive and using the official Microsoft dash I formatted and am able to use the drive normally. Was this at one time not possible? I didn't think the JTAG impacted the official dash to enable/disable features

19. InsaneNutter

20. larkesken64

larkesken64 New Member

Hello everyone,
    First of all, thank you InsaneNutter for continuing to be active on this thread over 10 years since you created it, it means a lot to me. I've been trying like crazy to get a Hitachi 500GB HDD to work with my Xbox 360 E, but I haven't been able to get it to show up at all. I originally tried running hddhackr using freedos and used the "F" command to flash the sector. It did the sectors 16-22 but then said it failed to back it up. No big deal, I thought. So next, I pressed "C" to create the partitions 0/2/3. When it completed "successfully", the system locked up and threw a "dos mem corrupt" error. From here, I plugged the drive into my PC and noticed that I was still able to access an ExFat partition of full size on Windows Explorer. I used a software to remove the partition, so now it all shows as unallocated. I then manually re-flashed the sectors using a hex editor and downloaded XPlorer360Extreme2 and FATXplorer to my PC. When opening XPlorer360Extreme2, all 3 partitions showed up and I was able to add a backwards compatibility file that I downloaded online to the partition 2. Next, I opened FATXplorer and saw that it gave an error about an unverified security sector. I used their tool to flash the sector again, and this time it seemed to have stuck. So with the 3 partitions and security sector in place, I should be good, right? But it still won't show up in the dash. Something I found very interesting is that the HDD I'm using (from an old Mac I believe) has the exact same model number as the one in the security sector file for a 500GB HDD. Surely that means this must be able to work somehow? I tried exploring with party buffalo but I get an error about synchronous operations. One thing that I don't know may useful: here is an image of the HDD recovery software mentioned and fatxplorer side by side... it seems like the actual SN for this HDD is still present somehow.
    Capture.PNG