Haloman Reviews Underworld: Rise of the Lycans

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Haloman, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Haloman

Haloman Addict

Now I know for a fact that some of you on this site have told me in person that they will never watch another Underworld movie as long as they live. And to be brutally honest I can’t really blame you. The first two have not exactly been masterpieces. The main problem is that it’s a kick ass concept (Vampires vs. Werewolves), however the first two films end up more like a supernatural Romeo and Juliet. With what you would hope would be epic battles turning out to be nothing but gang warfare or at some points a bar room brawl.

However after a recent bout of illness this intrepid reviewer had some time to kill and decided to give the third instalment of the underworld saga a go.

[​IMG]
    Is that a basket of goodies you have in your hand

PLot

[​IMG]
    I am not an anima... no wait never mind

Set before the events of the first two films at an unknown time during the Middle ages (Convenint), Underworld: Rise Of the Lycans chronicles the events that led up to the war between the vampires and the werewolves.

The vampire leader Victor (Bill Nighy) has established a strong hold (A castle that could only be described as a Doom Fortress). Together with his coven of vampires they rule the land and try to protect it from the werewolves. At this point in time a savage race un able to retake human form (Rather Like your average Footy Hooligan) . When a baby werewolf with the ability to retake human form is found by Victor, he takes it home and trains it calling him Lucian (Not gonna get into the Whole massiah/savior thing as its deep waters that I just dont want to swim). Lucian seems to have more control than other werewolves. Seeing a chance to make a new work force Victor uses Lucian to create a new breed of werewolf called lycans. Using the lycans as a slave work source and as guards during the day. the vampires prosper even though they are under siege by the wild werewolves. Add in a love affair between Lucian And Victors daughter Sonja (well there does seem to be a noticable lack of female werewolves so where was he gonna go) and you have the bulk of the movie. (coincidentally it seems that Vampires and werewolves like to have sez over the side of balconys ^o) )

[​IMG]
    "I have a balcony we can gt Jiggey with over if you like. meet me in 5 minutes"

What Did I Think

Though it sounds like more of the same from the first two films with a Romeo and Juliet vibe it somehow feels different. Its more raw and brutal. The Lycans are not complete wimps like in the first two and the vamps are complete gits like they should have been in the second.

The medieval setting does a lot to make this film more interesting as it adds a certain quirk that the previous films lacked. Though the werewolf effects were still problematic there was not enough time left to dwell on the facts. as the pace was kept interesting through out

[​IMG]
    "We are in the middle of the forest where the hell did we get all this leather"
    "SHHHHHHHH Just walk forward and look moody and cool and maybe they wont think to ask"

The fight scenes in the move are a vast improvement on the ones that have come before. At a guess this may have something to do with the fact that there is a notable absence of guns. Which means the combat has to be suitably close up and brutal (My advice is to see the end battle sequence). If you hate the series then this film probably won’t sway you (BUT HEY GIVE IT A GO)

[​IMG]
    they had said victor was mad for Buying a squad of storm troopers but who was laughing now!!!!

Conclusion

All of the improvements put together with a decent enough script make this a good enough movie. Granted it won’t win any awards soon and it definitely won’t save the series (especially for some people, You Know who You are). But if you are ill or just have time to kill It’s a good movie rent. The only people who will buy I suspect will be fans of the series. A good instalment from a rubbish film series.

Reviewed By: (Knows why the dog howls at the moon) Haloman

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  2. P.KID

P.KID Addict

nice review ^^

3. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Good review, I don’t think it going to make me go out and watch the movie but hopefully should serve as a warning to people thinking about watching / buying this.

Would you need to have watched the second film in the series to understand the third?

4. Haloman

Haloman Addict

Not really. If anything you need to watch this film to make sense of the first. the second was just needleslley complicated

5. xzKinGzxBuRnzx

xzKinGzxBuRnzx Moderator

I think this movie should of been part 1, not part 3. I liked part 2 the best. Part 3 was great it made the movie more understanding. Though I think it should of came it first not last.

6. KillerWhiteMan

KillerWhiteMan Burnout Racer

I have never seen any of these films but I hear they are pretty good (at least the first two).

7. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

The first one is honestly one of the most boring movies I have ever watched. Can’t comment about the second as I never thought it was worth watching.