Hooking up computer to TV, Best Way

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by alexpho, Nov 30, 2008.

1. alexpho

alexpho New Member

My mom went out and bought a $700 high end laptop. She does not know ANYTHING about computers. Since she is from the old country, all she wants is view " Thai" videos from the Thai TV website and connect the computer to her HD TV via HDMI to view it. Since both of the systems are " maxed out" in performance and new technology, I am curious to know if I am getting the best out of the setup. When watching the " monitor " images on the bigger HD TV, I don't know if more should be done to get more quality and picture size from the media player. It is kind of blurry. She is watching the small box of the media player and the background of the website on a 50" HD TV. My questions are-

1. With Vista, is there another way to maximize the quality of the images?
    2. Is there a media player ( aside from the default from the Thai TV website, that the clips can pass thru for optimum quality?
    3. Are the web clips of poor quality because of its native state and how the host is streaming it?
    4. How can I expand the images? It is currently cropped with black bars.
    5. Are there other better website to stream LIVE TV from Thailand?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

VLC might be able to play the video’s, it’s not going to improve the video quality though.. It might allow you to zoom in more but that’s just going to make the quality look even worse.

Web clips are usually poor quality to save on bandwidth costs and enable people with slower internet connections to be able to stream them ok, the only way the quality is going to improve is if you find a better source to view the video.

Sorry I can’t really help you with alternate websites for TV in Thailand, are the programs you’re watching Thai? If you’re watching popular English programs I might be able to help you with some alternate websites.

3. alexpho

alexpho New Member

Yes, the programs are in Thai, unavailable in cable or satelitte at home. She favors the website because it stream Live TV and On Demand clips.

Thank you for your reponse

4. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Do you live in Thailand? Or know anyone who does?

It would be possible to set a computer up with a TV card that can stream live TV over the internet, the more upload bandwidth you have on the computer streaming the TV show the better the picture would be for your mum.

Apart from finding a better website its the only thing that comes to mind.