If the Xbox One off-line time duration was longer, would you be ok with it?

Discussion in 'Gaming Hangout' started by MasterChief, Jun 9, 2013.

1. MasterChief

MasterChief Addict

Would people really be bothered about the Xbox One having to connect to the internet every so often if the console could be offline for more than 24 hours, say a week or even a couple of weeks?

Given that you have to activate new games on-line, if you want to play a new game you will have to check in with Microsoft at some point. That would also mean if you did trade any games in that licence would get revoked sooner or later. Does it matter if say i trade a game in on Saturday, however don't connect to Xbox Live again until next Tuesday. That is honestly the only logical reason i can think of as to why Microsoft want the console on-line every day.

When you think about it has anyone really lost out if i could play a game i've probably completed a couple of days longer?

I was thinking in the grand scheme of things if the console could be offline more than a day i probably wouldn't have had much of an issue with it having to call home every so often.

My internet can be pretty unreliable at times which is why i have an issue with the whole 24 hour thing, if i could be off-line for a week then i honestly don't think it would brother me that much.

2. lem_is_cool

lem_is_cool Resident

Normally if the internet drops out at my house, I play console games. So if there's a huge outage or if i move and dont have net setup i'm out of luck. Sure you can tether to you phone but you shouldnt have to

3. luckyvic

luckyvic Addict

I have family and friends in Italy who have limited/low cost ISP. You don't go online until 21:00 during the week and you can go online all day on the weekend and holidays. If go online all day during the week, then you will pay more. The cost of internet in Italy and probably most of Europe is high. What is the obsession having to connect? What happens if I go on vacation, for a week or two? I really don't about playing Xbox 360 games on the One, but this "always on" and yes/maybe/not sure if you can play used games is ticking me off.

4. oO Flowzilla Oo

oO Flowzilla Oo Addict

I would rather like to have the option for it to be offline completely, like with the 360.

5. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

If it worked like Steam i probably would not be that bothered. By that i mean if i purchase a game and activate it on my profile I would expect to be able to play the game offline indefinitely. The same as with XBLA games on the 360.

I don't agree with the console becoming an expensive Blu-ray player if it cant connect to Xbox Live for more than a day, that's some pretty extreme DRM there.

6. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

I'd be happy if it mirrored Steam in this regard. i.e.: you could be offline for as long as you want. However to activate any new games or play online games you need to connect to Xbox Live and Validate.

If people want to keep there console offline so they can play a game for free while it's been redeemed elsewhere, then so be it. They will miss out on the ability to play online games, activate new games and access to all the other features that drives someone to connect online.

The few that will abuse it is not worth the inconvenience to everyone else. Those who abuse it will have to connect online at some point so they won't get away with it for long. Does Publishers (keyword is publishers, as its them forcing Microsoft's hand on this) really lose out big time if I trade in a game and keep my console offline for a week to finish playing it? Eventually I'll lose my license.

I think a reality check is needed by Publishers. Steam is majorly successful with both sales of games and also friendly DRM. I can keep a PC offline for weeks with Steam and play my game. Yes a few people abuse it a little for lan play (system link in console world) but overall the system works and is fair to publishers and gamers.

Plus here's another thought: If they want to block people abusing it like above for system link play. Then why don't they just force you to go online to de-validate your copy and trade in? That way it can block you trading in a game until you have fully revoked your license. That way they can keep their consumer unfriendly DRM and still allow offline play.

7. lem_is_cool

lem_is_cool Resident

I feel this is just the usual "we only care about middle-class Americans up and upwards, sorry other countries" that tends to happen. With luck it wont be as restrictive as it seems.