Installing a Windows 98 virtual machine on Windows 10

Discussion in 'Computer and Gadget Help Center' started by NovaScotiaHFX, Sep 27, 2016.

1. NovaScotiaHFX

NovaScotiaHFX Active Member

I have a brand-new (1 month old) Windows 10 laptop computer. I had a Windows 98 virtual machine already installed on my Windows XP home computer for playing some of my older games which weren't compatible with more recent OSs, but now I'd like to install one on my Windows 10 computer too.

Unfortunately, Microsoft Virtual PC, the program I used on Windows XP to install my Windows 98 virtual machine, doesn't seem to be suitable for Windows 10 (it'll only work on Windows 7 or below). :-@

I've downloaded VirtualBox from Oracle to try to set up the Windows 98 virtual machine on my Windows 10 computer. How should I do that? I'm planning to use Office 1997 on Windows 98 to type up documents which would work better in the traditional '.doc' format (rather than '.docx' as with newer versions of Office).

- NovaScotiaHFX

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Create a new virtual machine for Windows 98, you then need a Windows 98 ISO or CD to install Windows 98 on that Virtual Machine

You essentially mount the ISO on the Virtual Machines CD drive, then you can boot off the CD and install Windows 98 as you would on a real PC.

Later versions of Office don't generally have many problems with .doc files in my experience, you would have had to of done some very complex formatting to notice much difference.

NovaScotiaHFX likes this.
  3. NovaScotiaHFX

NovaScotiaHFX Active Member

How would I go about creating a new virtual machine on VirtualBox to hold Windows 98? I already have a Windows 98 ISO downloaded from the website you mentioned.
    - NovaScotiaHFX

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  4. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member