iPod games

Discussion in 'Gaming Hangout' started by Assassin, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Assassin

Assassin Addict

Yesterday I bought some games for my iPod from the iTunes store. There's some pretty cool stuff on there actually.
    The games I got are:

Sonic the Hedgehog, which is a port of the first Sonic game. It's pretty cool, although the controls don't always do what you want them to. For example, you have to press the middle mutton to jump, yet sometimes, he wont jump which can be lethal sometimes. But it's a portable Sonic, so who cares? If you properly want to play it, you're not going to do it on your iPod anyway.

Song Summoner, which is an RPG by Square-Enix. At the start of the game you have to select songs from your iPod, which the game then makes into soldiers. The game itself works sort of like the Final Fantasy Tactics games. You can choose which song/soldiers you want to use to battle the enemies. The cool thing is, that by listening the song of which you made a soldier, you get points which make you stronger in battle. I'd not really a fan of these tactical RPGs myself, but if you like them it's pretty cool.

Sudoku from EA. Not much to explain I guess, just a Sudoku game. Works surprisingly well, you can either choose to rotate the disc to move from space to space, or simply touch one of the directions.

Spore Origins, which is just the first stage of the original Spore game. You have to collect food to grow and after each stage you can adjust your creature a little. The game has 20 levels, each in the first stage of Spore. It's kind of fun, but not good enough to spend your money on I guess.

Brain Challenge, just another Brain Training game. The controls make it harder sometimes, because from time to time you just don't know what to do or how to input the answer, appart from that there's not much to say about it.

The games aren't very expensive at $5,- each, so if you're looking for a game to play while on the road you might want to look into them. Especially Sonic is pretty nice, despite the controls. It does have a save option though, so after each level you can simply stop playing for a while and continue at the level you left of at the next time. Does anyone else have any experience with iPod games?

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

I don’t own an IPod but have seen many over the years, I’ve played on one where you had to control the games by moving your finger around some wheel which I found quite annoying. Is that how these games are played? Its kind of hard to imagine playing sonic like that.

3. Kitarii

Kitarii Resident

Yeah that sounds like it would be pretty odd. My old iPod Mini had that blocks game (where you are the platform and you bounce the ball back to destroy the blocks above) which worked pretty well on the scroll wheel. Sonic would be pretty nice I imagine to have with you so conveniently, but I wonder how nice it would be to play. Are there games for the iPod Touch do you know?

4. xzKinGzxBuRnzx

xzKinGzxBuRnzx The Feature Man

I like iCopter the best. It's pretty much just like helicopter on here and it's only 0.99. Great game and a great deal!

5. Assassin

Assassin Addict

There are actually more games for iPod Touch and the iPhone than the old iPod. Too bad too, I'd like to have some on my iPod. :( There's stuff like Monkey Ball on there which is pretty cool.

As for Sonic, as you know the iPod has this wheel/touchpad which are also the buttons of you press on on of the sides (left, right, up ,down). For some of the games, the touchpad will work and just having your finger on a side will work. Like in Spore, you view your creature from up top and move it by sliding your finger over the pad, making it move in the dirrection your finger touches. For Sonic, it uses the buttons to play. By pressing the right side of the pad you move right and by pressing the left side you move left. If you press the center button you jump. The controls are pretty basic, so in that it works pretty well. But with the iPod, you sometimes have to press the button a little harder to make it work, especially the center ones. Now this is no problem if you jus use it to listen to music, but for games it could have been a little more sensitive I guess. Anyway, it works better than you'd think.

6. spamking

spamking Member

I don't think I'd be able to get used to playing games on my iPod. Controlling things using the wheel would be weird.