Is Windows 7 your main O/S?

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by InsaneNutter, May 24, 2009.

?

Is Windows 7 now your main o/s?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

The Windows 7 RC build was released a couple of weeks ago now, is anyone using the RC or newer build as their main os?

I’ve personally found it so stable I’ve wiped my Vista install and plan to use the RC build full time.

Ive used XP and Vista betas back in the day and have never been able to say that about any Windows beta before. Windows Update also has proper drivers for my laptops mobility radion x700 so I don’t even have to resort to hacked drivers like I did in Vista.

Compared to Vista SP2 on this laptop Windows 7 RC makes it feel like a new laptop.

2. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

Windows 7 is my main OS. I had Vista SP1 and I tried to close basically any program it would freeze up on me for 1-3 minutes. It also seemed really slow. Ever since i've went to the RC build I haven't had this problem once. I've seen quite a speed improvement, well basically everything has improved. Also getting free Anti-Virus for half a year is a plus.

3. P.KID

P.KID Addict

Yea windows 7 is my main OS i think its satble enough now to be called an Os. Altough i would like some more UI or icon changes! :)

4. xzKinGzxBuRnzx

xzKinGzxBuRnzx The Feature Man

I've got the RC build installed on my main desktop and both my laptops. It works so great. I had XP on my laptop and I noticed a big performance increase with Windows 7. I couldn't be happier with Windows 7, I can't wait for its final release. In fact I'll never install the crappy vista again. Once the final release of 7 is out I've got a few vista discs that I plan to destroy.

5. BonezOz

BonezOz Addict

Sydney, Australia, the greatest city in the World
    On 3 of the 4 computers here at home, Windows 7 is my main OS. Right now I'm typing this from my laptop, 3 y/o, which is running the RC. My main PC, and web server, is running build 7077 which, when I have the time, will be reformatted and the RC will be installed, or since it is 100% stable already I may end up waiting until the RTM comes out and then install that.

My HTPC is running the RC as well, but it only gets turned on when the kids want to watch a movie.

The only PC not running Windows 7 right now is the kids PC, it's still on XP XP2, but they'll get the RTM when it's released as well.

6. Rustwick

Rustwick Resident

Nope. Still on XP here. What features would make it worth the upgrade if I was to switch later on?

7. Assassin

Assassin Addict

Still using Windows 3.11.

[​IMG]

(Seriously though, I use XP. :P)

8. InsaneNutter

It depends what you use your pc for really, have a look on: Windows 7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It’s a lot more optimised so runs a lot better on older hardware, it also improves support for a lot of new hardware such as touch screens.

I like the new super bar (improved start menu and task bar)
    Aero Peek (drag a window to the edge of the screen and it resizes to fill half the screen, great for coursework and such)
    Windows Media Centre – you probably won’t even have this unless you have XP Media Centre Edition.
    Direct X11 Support.

A lot more has changed but there some of the key things I like.

9. Hoffman

Hoffman Addict

Never knew 3.1 had Minesweeper, looks exactly the same as the one in XP.

10. P.KID

P.KID Addict

the "-" button is the close button if im not mistaken. That button is now on phones that i have seen.

11. Stealth Geek

Stealth Geek Your Dad

Not yet, but if I ever manage to get it downloaded...maybe.

12. Safinn

Safinn Addict

No, I tried it and it wasnt working to well with my laptop so I got rid of it. It wasnt working because I did not install any drivers or anything Lol. I may try it again soon though.

13. Stealth Geek

Stealth Geek Your Dad

I'm loving it so far. I was getting 2-3 BSOD per day on Vista even after 4 different installs. I've been using W7 RC1 x64 for about 5 days now and not a single BSOD yet. I've had 2 Explorer crashes and that's about it. I am however having issues getting my 360 set up as a media extender, which I had no issues with in MCE 2005 nor Vista. I can sometimes stream content to my 360, and other times it shows folders/files and I can't view them.

Oh yeah, and I'm getting about a 15-20% increase in framerates playing Crysis even at a higher resolution than in Vista. :O Perhaps it has a lot to do with me having Vista x86 installed before... I'm also getting huge speed increases while moving large files from one drive to another. Vista was averaging 15-20 mb per second, while W7 averages 50 mb per second. (H)

Dark Scyth likes this.
  14. InsaneNutter

Crysis does have around a 15% performance increase when running the game on a 64bit version of windows (H)

I’ve noticed the big improvement when copying large files too (Y) not too sure about the 360 media extender problem I’ve noticed if the pc is running a game it can take it a bit longer to find and connect but I’ve not had it totally fail on me yet or any real problems with it.

15. Stealth Geek

Stealth Geek Your Dad

I think my streaming problems is a result of something wrong with the drivers for the built in LAN on my motherboard. I can't get W7 to make an FTP connection with my Xbox either. I'm having to use the last Vista x64 drivers for my motherboard stuff, and I'm guessing that might be the issue.

I'm a noob to networking stuff since I'm stuck on dial-up, but I notice I have no IPv6 connectivity whatsoever. The 360 keeps saying it can't get an IP from my computer or something, so I'm stumped. :P

Anyway, Windows 7 is officially my main o/s now.

16. InsaneNutter

Don’t worry about IPV6, all the devices on your home network will use IPV4 anyway.
    IPV6 is the future but the majority of the world is still on IPV4 at the moment.

Have you turned the firewall off on your lan connection? For the 360 to get an IP from your computer internet connection sharing would have to be enabled.

17. Stealth Geek

Stealth Geek Your Dad

Yeah, I've disabled my firewall even after it's popped up messages about allowing it to do certain things..and stuff like that. Usually I get an error on my console that it can't obtain an IP address. DHCP is enabled and all that stuff that's it's told me to check. Sometimes after entering the 8 digit code, it will pop up a message that "the game needs to connect to Live for an update". One time I got it to connect through ICS over dial-up and it took an hour to download the update. Console restarts, then says it can't apply the update. I check my PC...I have my first BSOD staring at me. :(

I have no issues with MCE 2005 or Vista being able to connect, but neither of them allows me to use the digital tuner on my tuner/capture card like W7 does. Nor do they allow me to properly change channels using my Directv DVR. I can still stream videos/images/music directly from the PC using W7, but I can't get it to set up as an extender. Also, most videos won't even play since they too require an update. I wish they'd give people the ability to just download these updates and install them yourself. Btw, I do have NXE on my console. Anyway, I give up on it. I've read elsewhere the console needs an update to be used as an extender in W7, and it seems like it does in my case with the needing to connect thing...

[​IMG]

18. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

I've heard that Internet Sharing only works for XP (for 360s atleast). Although this is only something that i've read and have not confirmed this. Maybe you might want to try internet sharing in XP?

19. InsaneNutter

The update is most likely the latest version of the NEX dashboard, Digiex has an offline install of the latest version released in April - https://digiex.net/consoles-homebre...s-offline-install-april-2009-a.html#post14069

If you already have the latest version it won’t install, however its worth a shot.

ICS is in Vista and Windows 7, however its stupidly hard to find it.

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center – Click change adaptor settings in the left menu here then right click > properties on the connection you want to share and you should see the share tab.

Stealth Geek likes this.
  20. xzKinGzxBuRnzx

xzKinGzxBuRnzx The Feature Man

Internet sharing works fine from my laptop to my satellite box and xbox 360. I have many xbox 360 through the house that all perform great when worked up that way.

or

Just use ICS from my laptop to my backup router which links it to both my satellite and xbox. Which is the way its hooked up now.