Laptop connected by HDMI cable

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by dlf, Dec 18, 2011.

1. dlf

dlf Member

I have a 11" or so laptop (Windows 7 64 Bit) connected to a receiver by HDMI which is connected to our Samsung TV by another HDMI, but sound is coming from the laptop instead of the 'surround' speakers. How can I resolve this? I want to watch some youtube vids (playthroughs in (near) HD) on the TV . . . . . . . Oh and I KNOW I've gotten sound from the speakers (non-Laptop) before today. . .

Regardless of what I've tried I can never see a TV icon.

2. Rick

Rick Moderator

Click on start and type in sound click on the one under control panel, you should see this screen right click on the tv and select set as default device.
    (click on the below images)

Attached Files:

3. Flamzorz

Flamzorz Addict

I was about to say that when I read the preview :D

4. dlf

dlf Member

Cept I get two options: speakers & Realtek Digital Output, except I don't see a TV icon so I can't choose that. Why is that not showing?

5. Rick

Rick Moderator

Plug your tv in & right click in the open space and make sure show disabled & disconnected devices are checked.

6. dlf

dlf Member

Regardless of of what I've tried I don't ever get a TV icon. Probably a cable were missing although HDMI should be both picture & sound.

7. Rick

Rick Moderator

are you up to date with drivers? run windows update and install the drivers for video card,sound card,ect

8. dlf

dlf Member

Only updates are for WIndows Office and some security update for x64 systems.

9. Rick

Rick Moderator

usually in the sound list your tv should pop up,if not there could be an icon near the time(bottom right) for your sound device

10. dlf

dlf Member

No TV icon what-so-ever anywhere. You DO agree through that the HDMI SHOULD be providing both the sound & picture?

Laptop -> Receiver (by HDMI cable) -> Samsung HDTV (by another HDMI cable) . . . [doesn't 'work']
    yet
    PS3 -> Receiver (HDMI Cable) -> Samsung TV (by probably the same HDMI cable as above) [works] . . . . . . .
    Wii -> Samsung TV (by RCA cables) -- doesn't really get sound from the Receiver speakers with the rec on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FINALLY! I had thought you couldn't right click the icons in the tab of 'playback devices' but you can and I did find a TV icon hiding. It may be only two or three speakers but it's better than coming from the laptop.

11. Rick

Rick Moderator

with my setup i have a surround sound>tv(red & white cables)
    xbox(hdmi)>tv
    so any device plugged into the tv will go through the surround sound (if your tv has the setting for it)

HDMI has both picture & sound
    This setup should work better.
    so hook everything up like this

ps3 & wii & laptop > tv
    receiver (red & white cables) > tv (audio output)

12. adamf4i

adamf4i Member

I have no option in control panel for hdmi just sdif . Anyone know if this is because the video card does not support hdmi audio just hdmi video cause I have video

13. dlf

dlf Member

Right click in the white space and click the two options -- do they still not show?

14. adamf4i

adamf4i Member

yes thats correct , i checked both of them , i have video just no audio , I cant figure it out , i updated to most currect video driver from nvidia website , graphics card is geforce 6500

15. adamf4i

adamf4i Member

also it shows the little bar moving around like its playing something but no audio

16. Rick

Rick Moderator

check your tv sound settings as well

17. adamf4i

adamf4i Member

what tv settings?