Left 4 Dead 2 Boycott

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by KillerWhiteMan, Jun 10, 2009.

1. KillerWhiteMan

KillerWhiteMan Burnout Racer

Apparently there are many gamers that are upset about the anouncement from E3 about Left 4 Dead 2. There was an article I read about many people calling for a boycott of the new game and demanding that instead of being released as a full game, Valve should release all of the new content as a free update (ya right), or as an expansion that would be compatible with the original Left 4 Dead. I will attempt to find the article I read and post it for everyone. What's everyone's opinions on this? I am a little miffed that they want us to pay another $65 for a game that should have been part of the first one in the first place. I dunno what my opinion is on this just yet...*-)

2. AntiNaz

AntiNaz Addict

This is kinda stupid... might as well make an expansion for 15 - 20 bucks rather than 65 dollars.. THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!

3. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

Valve used to be one of my favorite companies, they no longer are. Its ridiculous. They can't even fix their games but they are making new ones? TF2 has not been fixed but they just brush it off because L4D is more popular. Valve is turning into every other game corporation out there. They do it for the sales that it all. I probably won't even RENT this game. They make that game that you can beat in two hours and people still think its the greatest thing ever. People have told me to play it on expert because then it'll last longer. If every game had this philosophy game companies would go out of buisness (more often). They made that free DLC pack for L4D, the only reason it was free is because (i'd like to think) no one would buy bullshit DLC.

4. MunkyMagikUK

MunkyMagikUK Digiex Blogger

Forgive me for being naive, but what's the issue with the whole L4D2 thing? I haven't played the original (so don't flame me!) so just wondering what the problem is?

5. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

L4D2 is supposed to be out by the end of this year. Even though the first one was so damn short and so much more could have been done to the first one. I believe the first one was released late last year. So with it only being around a year that its been out their making another one. So people would have to pay 60 plus tax (= to 42Euros). They could easily just add more DLC to it so people don't have to pump out another 60 bucks. Why would you be flamed, its a good thing you haven't played the first one. From what I remember in the commentary of the game it took years but yet they are making L4D2 in around a year.

6. KillerWhiteMan

I agree. Personally I think that all of the new content should be released as DLC or some expansion. I mean if they want money for the stuff, just release like an expansion disc that only costs between say $20 or $30. Don't you guys agree? I would be willing to pay only that much, but probably not full price. Why do game companies have to turn into greedy corporate asshole pricks? Society as we know it is coming to an end because of things like this.

7. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

I think the whole L4D2 thing was partly due to Microsoft asking for one and most likely swinging some money at them, as the original L4D is doing very well on Xbox 360 and console gamers dont expect free DLC that adds a lot.

8. Safinn

Safinn Addict

Well I didn't enjoy the first game at all so I will joing the Boycot because I'n not buying the game after the first one was like that. I don't enjoy that kid of game anyway.

9. Stealth Geek

Stealth Geek Your Dad

I never played the first one because I KNEW before it released that it was an incredibly short single player game. I made my opinion on the matter known by not buying their game. So many people bought the game anyway, and Valve realizes this. Why shouldn't they continue taking advantage of their customers? Every company does it these days, and they want in on the action. Why bother focusing on development of HL2: Episode 3 which will cost them way more money than cashing in on game content that they cut from the original? It sucks for us, but it's great for them.

I do agree the game should be $30 at the most, but if they can sucker people into paying full price again, why shouldn't they? If they end up losing tons of future sales with their future titles over this, then it's their fault. Other than HL2, I don't care for anything else they've ever released.

10. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

No Team Fortress 2 or Counter-strike?

11. Stealth Geek

Stealth Geek Your Dad

I'm stuck on dial-up in my area, so... (N):(

12. KillerWhiteMan

Valve in my opinion has not really released a game that was bad. I mean TF and Counter Strike were great and Half Life as well. Left 4 Dead was great in and of its own but I think they should have made everything in Left 4 Dead 2 part of the original. Heaven forbid they spend more time in development.

13. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

I feel like an ass now. Can't you get some type of wireless internet. I know where I lived I thought I couldn't have anything except satellite internet and i'm not paying 100+ a month. So I got wireless for around $50 a month.

14. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

L4D wasn’t a bad game, I carnt help thinking its more of a one hit wonder though... its fun to play through once or twice but it doesn’t really have a lot of replay value. L4D2 would have to add a massive amount to the game for it to be a worthy successor. I can’t see why its not just released as an update like all the extra content is for Team Fortress 2 every couple of months (on pc anyway). 800 to 1200ms points would be a reasonable price if it added quite a lot to the game.

I have to agree with Stealth Geek, where Half Life 2 Episode 3... Its been what 2 years since episode 2 now? Can you not get 3g internet btw Stealth Geek?

15. Stealth Geek

Stealth Geek Your Dad

LOL..:O no reason to. Satellite is definitely available here, but it's no good for gaming. If I can't do online gaming, I don't want it. It's $60/month here for satellite.

I think it was released in November 2007...over here at least. Not sure what 3g is, but I think there's wireless available in the area. Some people 2 miles from me have it, but they're in a higher elevation. I called and set up several appointments for them to check out my location, but they've never showed up.

Sorry for the slight derailment. :P

(6) SCREW VALVE!!!!!

16. KillerWhiteMan

You know, even if Valve wanted to be like Rockstar and charge 1600 points for an update, I wouldn't be too offended. But if it was anywhere higher than say 2400, forget it. 2400 is about $30 USD if my math is correct. I think this is how Valve should release this "new game".

Here is an article that has an interview with someone from Valve: Xbox360Achievements.org - E3 2009: Left 4 Dead 2 Interview & Hands On. They were talked to at E3 with the hands-on of Left 4 Dead 2. It does offer some good information, but some of it is a bit aggravating.