Living A Digital Existence Week 6

Discussion in 'News and Article Submission' started by MunkyMagikUK, Nov 23, 2008.

1. MunkyMagikUK

MunkyMagikUK Digiex Blogger

Living a Digital Existence

Week 6

Once again it’s time for another helping of Living a Digital Existence, but only a short one this week because I’m feeling a bit rough ;)...

Time for more cuts, as the Government tries to hack their way out of trouble...

In a week that has seen analysts predict great trouble ahead as oil prices fell below $50 a barrel, the government increase borrowing to a predicted £100 billion mark, the government has also announced that it plans to cut VAT, a value added tax paid on all goods, by 2.5%, lowering it to 15%.

Hard Times Ahead...

As I said previously, this week oil prices fell to below $50 a barrel. Now, while for many groups this is a great relief, with petrol prices falling to 90p a litre at the pumps here in Yorkshire after the vastly inflated prices we saw over the summer, many “experts” are saying that these low oil prices are signs of bad times to come.

Now, these VAT cuts are to try and encourage us common folk to spend some more of our hard earned cash on goods, to raise confidence and try and get the economy back on track. Now, none of you regular readers will need to be reminded on my views on the current financial crisis, but for new readers you can look here: https://digiex.net/front-page-news/604-living-digital-existence.html. Now, whilst I know that the government needs us to become more confident etc. it just shows what a mess we’re in when VAT has to be changed for the first time since the early 1990’s when the conservative’s raised it. I do have a certain amount of sympathy for Mr. Brown, after all I think he was left to deal with a lot of the shite that a certain Mr. Blair left behind him, and I do actually think he is doing his best to try and sort it out. I also think the introduction of Barrack Obama as the president elect in the USA will also help rejuvenate some confidence in the world markets.

So I suppose my message is this week, get spending people! VAT is down, goods are cheaper, fuel is cheaper, so why not treat yourself ;)

Sorry about the short, not very good blog this week, but I really don’t feel well ;)

Until next time...

David
    (MunkyMagikUK)

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

I hear “pretty epic levels of alcohol consumption” and Digiex blogs don’t mix too well :O

Tax might be down by 2.5% but from a quick look on a couple of online stores nothing looks to be any cheaper, I can’t see most places wanting to sell stuff any cheaper when they can make an extra few pennies here and there. I’m quite sure even with paying 2.5% less tax you will end up paying more than that 2.5% back in some other way.

3. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

The changes havent been officially announced and a date given to the VAT drop, when it does things should come down a little.

4. Safinn

Safinn Addict

Everything has gone down except the gaming market :(. The gaming market is soaring! I was hoping for cheaper games but no!

Hopefully them TV prices go down as that is what im looking for, for christmass.

5. Trebor

Trebor Dolphin Fan

I think this VAT cut only really helps the rich as they'll see bigger price cuts through more expensive items. Perhaps TVs will go down a little as well as maybe computing equipment as they can be rather expensive but any small purchases such as games etc won't be reduced by much. I think the Mirror said that a Mars Bar would drop by 1p. Wow isn't that great, thanks Mr Brown!